Resolve Missing Files

Rabell

I have a VPJ file that was about 25-30mins. It was a school video so it had mp4, mp3 and images in it. 

This was years ago and was only uploaded straight from a school camera to a school computer and then into VLC or something. 

Years later, I have the VPJ file but not the individual MP4 and MP3 clips. I open in VideoPad and it asks me to resolve and finding missing files. I have no access to the originally school computer it was uploaded on nor the original clips. But when I open it via videopad, it tells me the title of the missing clips and to resolve.

Would it even be possible to retrieve those files so I can view the whole project?

You must restore the files, then point VP to them via the RESOLVE button.  Without them, the project cannot be reloaded.

Next time, with a project completed on the timeline, click the MENU button, then FILE | BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER.

That folder will contain all the necessary souce files along with the VPJ.  Double-click it and the project will open in Videopad.

"....Years later, I have the VPJ file but not the individual MP4 and MP3 clips. I open in VideoPad and it asks me to resolve and finding missing files. I have no access to the originally school computer it was uploaded on nor the original clips. But when I open it via videopad, it tells me the title of the missing clips and to resolve........"

Hi

Unfortunately the .vpj file  is not a video file,  it is a data file (text file) that contains the names of the constituent clips of the project, their locations on the original computer and all the editing details. It is meant to be saved to the computer containing the clips when editing so that work can be continued from the place where it stopped.  If you double click the vpj file to open it VP will use that data to find the clips and load the project. 

If, however they no longer exist on the computer or have been moved to another location on the computer or have been renamed for some reason VP will not be able to find them. Instead, as it has the names ,it will post a list of the files it cannot find and ask you to do a search for them.i.e. resolve them.

It seems in this case, as you have only the vpj file and you no longer have the clips  you will not be able to view or re-edit the video. :(

Creating a backup as Borate describes ensures that the clips as well as the vpj data file are all copied to a specified location and kept together. e.g. a specified folder/an external drive/ a data DVD etc. As they are now are all together in the same place you can re-open the project and re-edit it.

Nat