Ken Burns effect - Am I being stupid?

PeteCaulf

Am I being stupid? I've just upgraded to Pro version 10.32 and see that the Ken Burns effect is now included.

However, when I click to add the effect to a still, it opens the normal Pan & Zoom dialogue box. I've played around with the effects in both and compared them and they are no different to each other. So what's happening? Is this a bug that needs fixing, or was there a last minute change of plan and the Ken Burns effect is not included after all. Or (more likely) what am I doing wrong? 

UPDATE: After a bit of research I realise my perception of the KB effect was incorrect. I thought it was when a mask was created on a still photo and the content within the mask could pan and zoom independently of the original photo. Clearly that's not the case, so I have to ask, why has NCH included Ken Burns and Pan & Zoom buttons next to each other, when they are the same thing? Thanks folks

Stupid, no.  Redundency, yes.  Perhaps the company felt that some folks are not familiar with "Ken Burns" nomenclature, so included Pan and Zoom?

This may present differently in another build.  Each time VP is installed (no need to re-download), the features may be slightly altered.  It's a marketing thing, to judge what's popular and preferred.

Both buttons can be used for a P&Z move within a mask, but it's not an overall one-button function.

Hi

The two effects you mention do have the same dialogue box and would seem to do the same thing. I have a feeling that NCH might be working to add a randomise option for the Ken Burns effect so that the different presets can be applied randomly to a series of selected clips in exactly the same way as transitions can and it could be an interim step towards this. In fact it is no different to the Zoom effect used with keyframes. The original Pan and Zoom just had 1st/last frames and no presets if I remember correctly.

Nat