Cropping video: nothing changed

Technoir84

Hello!

I want to make a video less tall by cropping top and bottom inwards a bit.   I did that, then Exported the file as a video.

The resulting video is exactly the same height as the original one, it changed nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
Cheers.

Tested and working well here.  What version?  (Click the MENU bar at the top-left, then HELP | ABOUT)

Let's take a look at the file...

Just upload it to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Hi

This is usually pretty straightforward. ...

• Place the clip on the timeline.
  • If it is a 16:9 AR clip it will fill the preview screen. If it is a vertical clip or not 16:9 there will be black bars in the sequence preview and checkerboard area to either top or bottom of the image in the Clip preview area.
  • Either way you are wanting to trim the top and bottom using Crop.
  • Click the FX box on the clip and select the Crop effect.
  • In the Clip Preview display pull the top of the crop rectangle down the required amount. (Use the top central handle) You should see a checkerboard area appear.
  • Do the same at the bottom of the crop rectangle, dragging it up or drag the whole rectangle up so there is now a checkered pattern shown at both top and bottom. eg. (Cropping exagerated)....
  • z.jpg
  • The Sequence Preview (RHS when showing dual displays) should show black borders.
  • Export the result using a 16:9 resolution.

Nat

Hello all,

Thank you, I am still struggling with it.

Nationalsolo:  I did that, but upon exporting, the video is exactly the same size as original.

I tried again: Selected all the parts of the video > Video Effects > Crop:   It only cropped the last part of the video, and upon exporting, same as above.

File:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FW9ljXRHYjlx-Fy-mr1m2B2X1_3MFTh-/view?usp=sharing

Hi

I downloaded your .gif file and using VP 10.24 this seems to crop without any problems..

UNCROPPED (Clip/Sequence) in VP

Uncropped.jpg

CROPPED in VP

Cropped.jpg

EXPORTED Mp4 in VLC

z.jpg

This is using the steps I outlined above.

"...It only cropped the last part of the video,..."

This may have happened if you failed to select all the clips but nevertheless the cropped region should still have exported. All the gif clip I downloaded exported cropped but it was only one clip.

Nat

Hello, it finally worked, thank you for your help !!

One oddity I noticed:

https://ibb.co/Jx62yPv

When I upload the GIF onto my page, I am unable to click on the area immediately above and below the image, as if there were white bands.

When I open the GIF in Photoshop, it shows transparen bands above and below the image as well:  https://ibb.co/P5xKm47

So even thought the GIF image itself was cropped, the removed area is still there somehow.

Hi

Glad you got it working........Did you use the X transition or the fade out/fade in suggestion?

If you have cropped the image and subsequently saved it to your PC then it will show white bands. (at least that happens here.) These are the transparent areas. I think if you load the image back into VP you will see them as checkered areas. It would seem that cropping keeps the original image size (VP is non destructive) and makes the cut off portion transparent. So if you take a snapshot (which is a png format and capable of retaining the transparency,) it will be the original full frame image but the cropped image  border will be transparent. if converted to another format like jpg, the cropped area will appear black and not transparent. Depending on how the image is viewed the png may also show a black border.

Nat

Ah yes, in that case there is nothing I can do since I was creating an animated GIF, not a still image which would be easily editable in Photoshop.

I hope one day NCH VideoPad can do away with those unnecessary transparent or white bands, it makes it difficult to insert the generated (and cropped) GIF into a page with other elements on it (there is an odd empty space above and below the GIF now.

Thanks for your input and help on this.
Cheers.