Scrolling Credits

HelpingSaveHumanity

Hi there,

So I want to have text that just sits there, then the credits scroll at the end like they do in a TV/movie & I can't figure out how to do it.

I was looking for it in the video affects & it's not there.

I like the Spotlight one, but I still wanted the text to scroll. Can I have both somehow?

I do see the text affects, but I've tried it before & it's too complicated, plus having to type it all in manually when I already had the text on an image with a colored background.

I wanted some color or texture to the text, background or both, not just plain white on black.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Text that is composited onto an image or background cannot be independently scrolled.

But with a little practice you can easily accomplish what it seems you want, using the ADD (simple) TEXT feature.

First, place the image that's to be the background on video track one.

Position the scrubber (red-lined cursor) where you want the text to begin.

Compose the text...

2.png

In most cases it will be automatically placed on track two, but it can be dragged from the BIN (top-left) ... and dragged left or right on the timeline.

Drag the clip borders (handles) to change the text clip length, which will change the scrolling speed.

Hi

As Borate explains above,  a simple text that you set up yourself can be made to scroll. (Bottom to Top/Top to Bottom/L-R  etc.)  The background to this text can be either transparent or coloured. If transparent,a lower video clip will be visible through it. (background clip on Video Track 1 and the text clip on Video Track 2)

The drawback from your point of view seems to be  1) You have to type the text in yourself and 2) It's too complicated. Editing does require some work on your part but once yo play with it a bit it's pretty straightforward.  It's more simple than you imagine. 

However, you say you already have the text you want to scroll on a coloured background as an image. This image can be made to scroll but the coloured background will obscure anything on a lower track.

To scroll this image clip just place it on a higher track and then use the Position effect with two keyframes. The first keyframe set at the start of the clip with the text positioned off the frame at the bottom, and the second keyframe set at the end of the clip with the text positioned off the top of the frame. When played the text will scroll from bottom to top. The speed will depend on the length of the text clip. (Direction of movement can be set with the Position effect...even pauses if you use more keyframes)

If you want this text image that you have already to have a transparent background just add a green screen effect to it and use the background colour as the screen colour. The text will now have a transparent background and scroll and anything on a lower track will be visible behind it. As you are using an image of your text for this there is no need to type it in or even use the  "Add Text" option. You can also have the spotlight effect if you wish but you will not be able to alter the text in any way.

If, on the other hand  you opt for the Add Text feature you can compose you own as well as alter the colour/font/size of everything down to individual letters but obviously this is more work...

z.jpg

You can scroll it and use the other text styles, including an End Credits scroll.

Nat

Hi Nat,

Yes it was quite simple once I figured it out & we figured out the background color was right there, including the shadow checkbox which is way better than the text effects shadow, so all done.

My only issue now is that I made that into its own video, added it to another video & it's taking FOREVER to export that video.

Do these videos with scrolling make the exporting a lot longer?

When I exported the scrolling video which was around 35 seconds, it exported right away.

I don't know why this other video is taking FOREVER. Almost an hour & it's only at 35% & it's roughly an hour or just less.

Thanks

Effects like scrolling can slow export but the timing you mention does seem excessive.  Things you can do to speed it up...

Export at a lower resolution and, possibly, lower frame rate.

Use the current release 64-bit version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Upgrade the PC to at least 8GB ram and an I5-class or comparable processor.  Video editing is very resource intensive.

Folks here would like to compare your results. 

Share your project.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Hi

if your titles with the scrolling text exported in a reasonable time to produce a "universal" title/intro/outro  that you have added to a video and the result of exporting that video is taking ages it is most probably the export settings your are using. Apart from making the project that bit longer the fact that the contents are scrolling will have no effect as it is simply another clip added on.

If on the other hand if you are adding new scrolling text to the project it can have an effect on rendering times. Clip size (resolution) can also affect the speed of export as will the PC specs, number of tracks the length of your project and its complexity. It would be interesting to know some of these data. For the moment just let it export. 

Nat

• 3 weeks later...