Creating a sequence of cuts

Charles2021

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help, I have a 30 minute video and I want to select 15 or so 5/10 second clips, arrange in them in a sequence, review, perhaps rearrage the order and export as an .mp4. I expected the procedure for doing this would be very simple, similar to selecting the text from a word document and pasting the selections into a new document. The only way I can seem to do it with VideoPad is to create a new project, import the 30min video, make a selection which is then put on the sequence, it then seems impossible to make another selection and add it. I have to rename the 30min video, import again and repeat the procedure carrying on like this for every clip. As "I've started so I'll finish" I proceeded in this labourious way until I had made all my selections. Just before I'd completed I started getting "low memory" notifications from Windows10 only to discover that VideoPad had created a bloody cache of 46GB of files!

Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong because I can't believe you have to go through all what I have described to achieve so simple.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

To clear excess cache entries click OPTIONS | Clear Unused Cache Files.  It's wise to do this before beginning a new project.

There are a number of ways to make individual cuts from a single imported file...

Select the master file in the bin and press <ctrl-C>.  For as many cuts as you want, press <ctrl-V>.  This will duplicate the thumbnail without the need to reload the file.  Go back to the master thumb and repeat the process if more copies are needed.

Click on one of the dupes (not the master), position the scrubber (red line) under the preview window where you want the cut to start.  Click SET START.  Reposition for where you want it to end, click SET END.  Go to another dupe and make new selections, etc.  Lastly, drag the thumbs to the timeline in the desired order, where they can be rearranged if necessary.  Or right-click on a bin thumb and click the desired placement from the drop-down menu.  Or, with a Bin clip selected, click the chevron at the right of the ADD button to see placement choices.

Another method...

Place the full master video on the timeline.  Create and IN/OUT split pair to isolate desired content.  Drag that content (between the splits) to the bin.  It is removed from the timeline and becomes a numbered clip, similar to the above.  You can create all clips in the bin, then drag them back to the timeline.

In any case, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

Thanks borate, so no simple way to do something simple! It really is a poorly designed piece of software, I've a number of other videos I need to take clips from but I'm not going to waste any more time with VideoPad, I'm sure I can find something much better. Thanks again for your help.

The methods described are quick, once practiced, and consistent with other editors.

If you don't care about having indivdual bin clips, there's an even quicker method...

Import the master clip and select it.  Under the preview window, drag the scrubber to the in point of your first desired selection.  Click SET IN.  Drag it to the out point, click SET OUT.  Click the ADD button.  The selection will be placed on the timeline.

Select the bin clip again and make new INs and OUTs.  Click ADD, etc.  The clips will line up on the timeline.

If there's a prompt to the effect that the in can't be before the out, drag the red bracket to the start and the blue to the end ... then set the ins and outs.

Good luck!

Hi

Before coming to the wrong conclusion :)  It seems all you want to do is to separate out sections of a video and then re-assemble them as a shorter video...Yes?

Your task is simple.. ...

• Place your 30 min clip on the timeline
  • Split at start  and end of the first section
  • Drag the section to the clip bin and release it. You will see a green clover leaf mouse icon as this is done.
  • Repeat for other sections. The clip bin will now contain your selections as well as the original 30 min clip. This is simple and will take very little time or effort.  Now clear the timeline.......
  • Use I< to move cursor line to start of timeline.
  • Grab the cursor line just above the track in the grey area labelled "Drag and drop your video,text and image clips here to overlay"  You will see a double headed arrow. Drag the cursor line to the right along to the end of the track. The area selected will turn blue.
  • Right click this and delete the selected region. The timeline will now be empty. (Unless you missed some bits)
  • Drag and drop (or select and place) your selections back to the timeline and arrange them in the order required
  • Job done!

Nat