Trying to line up cuts

Uberprutser

I'm trying to cut an old video. But vp keeps jumping back to a certain position in the timeline (the end of a picture above in track 2) when I try to use the arrow keys to position the playhead. Is this a bug or is there a reason it keeps dong this. Because it is driving me crazy! I use v10.16

• borate changed the title to Trying to line up cuts

Holding down <shift> while using the lef/right arrows will jump the scrubber from clip edge to edge, for all tracks, same as using the buttons under preview.

But pressing the arrows alone shouldn't do that.  If it happens, try pressing the opposite arrow for a short move.

Hi

When you say "playhead" I presume you mean the red cursor line. This can be dragged to any point on the timeline and released. For fine adjustment use the <I or the I> buttons beneath the Sequence Preview window. This will move the cursor 1 frame at a time in the selected direction. If however you have a gap then the cursor will jump the gap to the end of whatever clip/image is next.

Nat

Yes with playhead I'm talking about the redline.

I reloaded the project and disabled track 2 and 3 and the problem was gone. But for a while it became rather frustrating.

And it wasn't the first issue I had today. Earlier I tried to apply a zoom effect but I did not get the proper preview. For some reason I only got a chequered pattern that represents a transparent clip. The problem was gone after I removed the fade in effect on the first clip of the sequence. I think this might be a bug.

Hi

"....... I tried to apply a zoom effect but I did not get the proper preview. For some reason I only got a chequered pattern that represents a transparent clip. The problem was gone after I removed the fade in effect on the first clip of the sequence. I think this might be a bug......"

That's normal and not a bug. :)

Placing a fade-in using the f at the start of a clip will leave the Clip Preview showing a chequered pattern......

z.jpg

What you see is quite normal and is dependent on the position of the Clip cursor line and not necessarily the position of the Timeline cursor line.  If the Clip cursor is within the fade-in area (in the image above it is at the start of the clip) the clip preview image will remain chequered and nothing will be seen in the Zoom setup apart from the dotted rectangle. There will be no image to reference it with. Moving the timeline cursor on its own will still show the clip preview as chequered as the clip cursor does not move with it. 

However, if you move the Clip Preview cursor to the right the clip preview will fade in as it should and then the clip will be seen along with the Zoom rectangle....

zz.jpg

Note also that the clip on the timeline remains chequered for the full extent of the fade effect The sequence preview will show the image fading in (left).

Nat

HI Uber

",,,I got that on the sequence preview window...."

The chequered pattern being referred to is seen only in the CLIP PREVIEW window. The SEQUENCE PREVIEW will show black if anything is transparent (or else  the underlying track image.)

e.g. Clip preview left ..Sequence preview right. png of man with a transparent background.

zz.jpg

My The point was that any degree of fade will ...

1. Show a checkerboard pattern on the timeline either complete or partial depending on the timeline zoom. 
  2. Show a checkerboard pattern in the clip preview window relative to the position of the CLIP PREVIEW cursor
  3. Show black  or the fading in/out image in the SEQUENCE PREVIEW window relative to the timeline cursor.

Your problem of having a checkerboard image when you tried to add a zoom (which is also only seen in the CLIP PREVIEW window) was most probably because you had the clip preview cursor bar still to the left side of the window which would be still fully faded out. If you had simply moved the cursor to the right the clip preview image would have faded in and you could have referenced the zoom rectangle. Of course removing the fade in as you did made the whole clip visible. :) No harm done but it's not a bug.

Nat

Listen, there was definitely a problem for me that got fixed by removing the fade in effect on the first clip.

with the fade in effect on I could not set an outline for the zoom effect I wanted. I could only see a chequered pattern.

I tried switching between clip preview and sequence preview that did not help. only disabling the fade in effect did help.

For me this was an bug and not normal. Now lets forget about it :)

• 1 month later...

Uberprutser wrote:  I'm trying to cut an old video. But vp keeps jumping back to a certain position in the timeline (the end of a picture above in track 2) when I try to use the arrow keys to position the playhead. Is this a bug or is there a reason it keeps dong this. Because it is driving me crazy! I use v10.16

Appears to be remedied as of 5/13 in this beta version.  The usual beta caveats apply.