When I get the Pan & Zoom set up it applies the Pan & Zoom to all previous pictures

Hugh-AR

Hi,

I have a selection of still photographs of my own and am trying to apply Pan & Zoom to them.  Chose the first rectangle, then the second.  Worked a treat.  Then did that to the next picture.  Worked a treat.  But on the next one it decided it would apply the Pan & Zoom to the previous pictures as well as the one I was doing.  So I had 'double Pans & Zooms' on those first pictures.  Yes, I can go back and DELETE those 'extra' Pans & Zooms that have been applied .. but I have 18 photos and that would take ages to do!

So how do I stop a Pan & Zoom applied to one picture adding itself to all the others?  Note: I have not clicked on the option whereby you can apply your effect to all the pictures.

Hugh

• borate changed the title to When I get the Pan & Zoom set up it applies the Pan & Zoom to all previous pictures

Thanks borate.  I don't think I had actually 'selected' any of the pictures?  I was in the Storyboard on Sequence Preview watching what the Transitions were doing from the beginning to the end, making sure the ones I had chosen were what I wanted to see.  Then started clicking on the FX one after the other to put the Zoom & Pan effect into each photo .. while still in Sequence Preview.  So am I right in saying that what I should do is to click on the tab Clip Preview at the top first so I am in 'clips' mode; then click on one of my photos so it is showing in the top box; and then click the FX to apply the Pan & Zoom to that photo.  And then it will only apply it to the one I have selected?

Will try that now.  You are a gem!  (All things are easy when you know how!).

By the way, I have bought Video Pad as I am a keyboard player (I have a Tyros 4) and am putting my photos to MP3 music I have played on my keyboard.  I am then uploading my 'Movie' to YouTube.  The music pieces I play each have a specific time from start to finish, which is why I am putting photos and transitions in first so that when I add the music it will fit perfectly along the Timeline.

Thanks again.

Hugh

Hi borate,

When clicking one FX after another, VP doesn't DEselect those that have already been effected

You've nailed it.  That's why the other photos had the latest 'effect' added to them as well.  The effect was always added to the photos i had dealt with previously.

I have now taken care to make sure I don't try and do things in too much of a hurry and make sure I have properly selected one photograph before adding an Effect to it.

Hugh

Thanks borate for your help.  I had previously been using Movie Maker (no longer available from Microsoft) to do my videos for YouTube, but what really sold me about VideoPad is the ability to do 'custom'  Pans & Zooms ie. choosing a START and an END frame.  I have put up into YouTube a few seconds showing how effective this can be.  The photos are my granddaughters boating on a lake.  I could only have achieved this using VideoPad.

DEMO of Pan & Zoom using Video Pad from NCH Software

https://youtu.be/JC1U6IBP9Ns

I had said to you that I am using VideoPad to put photographs to music played on a keyboard.  Here is one I did for a friend of mine with photos he took of Weston-super-Mare, our home town.  What I find amazing is that all the pictures in this video are stills .. and it's VideoPad that has enabled me to create the apparent movement.  A fun thing to have been doing during lockdown!

https://youtu.be/FUrK7EzXvvE

Hugh

Hi Hugh

To delete those extra Pans and Zooms open the project and click the FX box for all the clips that got them duplicated and then click the X for the unwanted duplicated effect. That shouldn't take too long as you only have 18...not dozens.:)

VP can make excellent slideshows but the Ken Burns effect (Pan and Zoom which is important for slideshows) needs to have a "random" choice for the presets as well as a choice of target clips in the same way as the transitions has.

Nat

borate.  Just wanted you to know that I have done another YouTube video and had no problems with doing the Effects (Pan & Zoom).  As I said, I think the problem was that I was in a hurry and did all the Transitions as I wanted them first, then viewed the visual track in Sequence Preview mode from beginning to end to check the Transitions were as I wanted them.  Then in Storyboard mode just clicked on each FX one after the other .. and my Effects were also applied to the previous clips I had been doing.

So this time I double-clicked on the picture I wanted to apply the Effects to, which then set the clip up into Clip Preview.  The Effect I set up then only applied to that one clip I was dealing with.

Nationalsolo.  Thanks for your input too.  This is what I had been doing previously when I got multiple Effects on a clip.  I realised that the 'additional effects' that I didn't want were at the top, so clicked on the white 'x' by the words Pan & Zoom, then the next one down and so on until I was just left with the one Pan & Zoom that was coming up from the bottom.  Which of course is why I joined your Forum and asked the question.  I presumed that I must have been doing something wrong to get multiple effects on a clip, and was sure that deleting all those Pans & Zooms afterwards was not what the program was all about.

I am really pleased with how VideoPad has worked for me, and as I said earlier it's the 'custom' Pan & Zoom that one is able to do in VideoPad that does it for me.  I can be really creative using that.  I am just going to put two more LINKS showing (a) a piece I have played on my keyboard with photographs I took when on holiday in the Isles of Scilly, and (b) another piece where I have used Royalty free video clips from Pixabay to provide a background to the music.  For a keyboard player, it's the Audio that is the most important part of the video!  Both have been done with VideoPad.  To get 'still' pictures to appear to move as in (a) is just amazing.  The ones in (b) of course are moving pictures to start with, so I have just put Transitions in this video.

(a)  https://youtu.be/oLYWPpwkXGI

(b)  https://youtu.be/vukR6ZxkUxk

Hugh

Hi

"..............when I got multiple Effects on a clip.  I realised that the 'additional effects' that I didn't want were at the top, ...."

This, at least in the version of VP you have, I think is a bug. I am pretty sure it has been mentioned before but with another of the effects ... Scale I think in the example quoted,  where some clips got scaled twice. Can't find the forum thread though. It's connected with how clips are selected as already selected clips are not deselected after one effect is applied and consequently get another (or the same) effect added again. I am not sure what the outcome was when it was reported. There is also a problem in that not all selected slides get an effect.

Nevertheless this seems to work for a single Ken Burns(or other effect) to be added to ALL the timeline clips...

• Place the cursor on the first clip
  • Ctrl + A to select them all
  • Click FX on first clip and add effect.

All the clips will get that effect. Not much use though for Pan/Zoom (Burns effect) as who wants all slides to zoom in or out identically? This is one reason why should NCH to work on producing a  randomise feature for all the various pans for this particular effect. 

Liked the videos. :)

Nat

Multi-selection is still a work in progress it seems.  In the future more of a COPY/PASTE approach may be implemented.

As it stands, when multi clips are selected and an effect applied to one it's applied to all.  Adding other effects can result in dupes and confusion.

The way it worked in version 8.45 was cleaner, and the 'chain' buttons more intuitive.  Strictly one person's opinion.

Hi Nat,

Thanks for your reply. I agree that you wouldn't want to apply Pan & Zoom to all the photos as each one is specific to the photo you are viewing.  But your information as to how to get the Effect to apply to all the clips is very helpful.  The latest video I have done (for a friend) has all his photos in 4:3 and I wanted to do them all in 16:9.  So as they are 'views', I have gone down the road of Change Clip Aspect Ratio, Stretch, then 16:9 and done that to each photo individually.  With views it doesn't matter if you stretch.  When there are photos with people in them I use Effects..., Zoom, then choose Aspect Ratio 16:9 which gives me the rectangle to move 'up' or 'down' the original photo to position the 'crop' where I want it on the photo.  I can then do a Pan & Zoom as well .. and below is the video I have done for my friend.  The Zoom crop to 16:9, followed by the Pan & Zoom is in the clip where the men are carrying the platform in the Religious Procession (in Spain).  And I have done it this way too for the black swan. and the horse & rider.

https://youtu.be/BDFoU6uOq5s

Next time all the photos are in 4:3 I will highlight in the "Bin" all that are 'views', do a right-click and stretch them all to 16:9.  The ones that have 'people' I can do in the 'Bin' by doing a right-click on each one individually, choosing Effects..., doing a Zoom to 16:9, and then positioning the rectangle where I want it for that individual clip.  Then highlight all the photos in the 'Bin' and drop them into the project.  And yes, I do a Save As.. periodically with a different number so I can always go back to a previous Save if things go wrong.

Hugh

PS.  It took me ages to work out that if I wanted a Pan with no Zoom (ie. just having the picture moving across the screen) that I had to make two rectangles the same size (Start Frame and End Frame) and position them at the same height .. one on the left and the other on the right (or the other way round if I wanted the picture to move the other way).

I also wasn't very keen on the 'scrolling' for a Title, so instead have written the Title words with a small size font and put space lines so the title was in the middle of the screen; had my Start Frame as the whole picture, then had my End Frame boxed tightly round the Title words.  Then the Title zooms from in the distance to filling the screen.  This is what I did for the Isles of Scilly Title.  I have also realised that I can do a 'Fade Out' on the Title words so they don't disappear so rapidly.  

Hugh

Thanks borate.  I haven't experimented with any of the export choices (apart from choosing Widescreen TV instead of Custom.  I found that by saving my MP4 this way I could put it on a Memory Stick and play it from the USB Port on my TV). Hugh