Videopad update unregistered my key and now I suddenly need to buy a new one?

SyntactixOfficial

Before the update I was using it and it worked still but now that I updated to 10.xx it unregistered my key and it says my key is old and I cant register it and im forced to buy a new one?

It stated nowhere my Paid for license key can be "invalid" because of a software update considering the same Software while it was still considered registered before this update, there was also no warning this would happen (From what i know this is also illegal)

I have Evidence of purchase and I got the registered key on me.

If i really have to pay for it again im gonna switch because the update unregistered my key I had no say in that.

There is a six-month free update grace period after registration.  Normally there is a warning that the update may be beyond the grace period, but it's easy to miss.

There's no mandate to update.  If your purchased release is working well stick with it.  You can always go back to the earlier version, and it's likely that you won't even have to re-register.  The installer usually can be found here...  "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad"  (or similar  without the X86).

Newer versions can be test driven, to see if they offer anything that's appealing.  Being unlicensed, they will have limitations.  If mp4 export fails, try AVI.

In any case, you do not have to pay again, and your purchased version won't expire.

• borate changed the title to Videopad update unregistered my key and now I suddenly need to buy a new one?

Actually, NCH policy on free updates is pretty generous.  Why you saw no warning is unknown. 

What you paid for is indeed 'permanent.'  If you cannot find the installer file, grab it from here.

Provided that you purchased from NCH, if you have lost your registration, read this.

• 11 months later...

Pretty generous? 6 month grace period? My ass. Then minute i finished a project i was working on on the new update, the program wouIdnt let my convert to mp4 without whipping out my mighty credit card. I also was definitely not warned of a potential update or that I would no longer be able to use the program after the update and that the money I forked out to get this program wasn't updates included. Also I can't imagine how NCH wants us to go through the list of 100's of unorganized installer files to find the old version. Make it two people switching.

You need not pay or update.  The release that you purchased never expires and the ability to use mp4 and all features remains unchanged.

Updates are not mandatory.  If what you have works well, stick with it.  Nothing will be disabled. 

Unlicensed versions can always be test driven.  They are trials until licensed..  Some features may not be available after a trial period.  There's also a free version, with basic features..

If mp4 fails, AVI usually succeeds.  Or a reinstall of your older version will enable it.  Install of the latest release on the NCH site may as well.

If you take the time to provide needed info, the peer-support folks here will help work around issues and locate a version that was released within your six-month license window.  You won't be out any money and the program won't be hobbled.

Many editing, financial and other programs are now offered on only a subscription basis.  NCH has that option as well.  If you want unlimited upgrades at no extra cost - but for the subscription fee - then that's the way to go.