Videopad - and only Videopad - raises my CPU temperature to dangerous levels

stebbinsd

I've applied new thermal paste. According to CoreTemp, my CPU, when idle, only has a temperature of 47-52 degrees Celsius.

Even when I'm playing a game (the most hardware-intensive thing I do), my CPU temperature rarely surpasses 55 degrees Celsius. For the record, I just played Ghostrunner - the most hardware intensive game I currently have - while monitoring my CPU temperature, and it only ever went up to 55 degrees once and it never went beyond that.

But whenever I load some clips into Videopad so I can chop them up and make a new video out of it, that causes my CPU temperature to go up to an absolutely scorching 95-105 degrees Celsius! I don't even have to actually do anything with VideoPad. Just by having the clips be in the project, VideoPad is heating my CPU up to borderline-meltdown levels!

VideoPad is literally the only app that does this. This is the one common denominator, and the difference between it and my second-most-intensive app (the game Ghostrunner) is absolutely massive.

So how do I fix this? Because at this point, VideoPad isn't just slow as molasses, like I complained about in my last thread. At this point, it's literally dangerous for me to use it!

Work slower, buy a new computer or go back to using a 240p camera.

But seriously, videopad just keep adding things to do to its background work queue of cache file building.

And at some point, if the video gets log and complex enough, it will grind down any computer no mater how fast.

In my experience it's the disk i/o that seems to be the limiting factor. But it might be the CPU for you.

This box is a water cooled I7 (8th gen) with NVidia 1060.  Testing a demanding project in Videopad 32-bit version 10.25 (beta) temps never exceeded...

image.png    After the project was fully cached, GPU temp dropped to 31 degrees.  Idle was about 30.

This article contains tips that you may find helpful...   https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/how-to-monitor-cpu-temp-temperature

VP architecture changed recently, shifting much of the en/decoding load to the GPU.  A 64-bit version improves handling of complex and 2K/4K content.

Hi

Using Vista PC..

At rest ........

At Rest.jpg

Running flat out (CPU 100%) with VP project loading/running with numerous edits in progress/caching etc with other background apps also running for 30 mins........

Full.jpg

Can't get it above 51 - 52 deg.

Have you defluffed the PC etc? Seems the problem is not VP.

Nat

7 hours ago, borate said:

This box is a water cooled

Yeah well ... I'm not using a water-cooled PC. If I need something as advanced as a water-cooled PC just to run this app without melting my PC, then that seems like it should be included in the minimum system requirements to use this app.

4 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Have you defluffed the PC etc?

I don't even have a clue what you just said.

4 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Seems the problem is not VP.

I already told you: If the problem wasn't VP, how come VP is the only app that gets my CPU this hot?

You saw Nat's post.  He runs a very modest system and doesn't see what you see.  What version of VP is being used?  Try this one.

Perhaps it's only VP that taxes your system because video editing is resource intensive.

What are the PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?   When running VP, are other programs active in the background?

"Defluffing" may hint at this... https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-PC

Hi

I can't see why these high temperatures should be associated with only VP as you are saying.  Your PC doesn't know what program is running so there would seem to be a difference between how hard it is working when you are games playing and when you are editing. I don't know but editing may be more CPU intensive than even video gaming but still doesn't explain it as I can't see other "overheating" reports when using the software.

There should also be an inbuilt shut down which comes into play when the temp gets abnormally high, usually 70 - 80 depending on Bios settings, and it usually beeps at you when things get uncomfortable. My reference to "defluffing" is simple removing dust and fluff that might have clogged the vanes of the CPU heatsink. It's quite amazing how much dust gets in from cooling fans which themselves can get surprisingly clogged. Are they all working? Is the computer case sited too close to a wall so warm air passing out is not free to exit easily?

You say you have applied new thermal paste. Why was this?  Too much can cause overheating.

It does seem to be a PC problem rather than a fault of the actual software. Just a few thoughts.

Nat

So, NCH Videopad. Verdict not good, because it kills our CPU and that's not all. We here have a project and we have an engineer. The job should have taken a couple of hours; we have been editing videos for a long time. We need just a two minute video, so you wouldn't expect it to be a big deal. We used one of the office Laptops; Intel i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz with 8GB RAM. The SATA II 1TB harddrive is more than capable. Our Windows 10 machine has no issues at all.

We downloaded Videopad and paid for it, otherwise we'd be stuck with a useless limited copy. If you want, you can have the serial number.

If our PC had any problems, our engineer would have fixed it. RAM is an important factor, but not for a simple little two minute video.

For editing a little video without a lot of complicated composition: our Laptop is perfectly fine. However, Videopad has the 
CPU burning at 100%, and needs about an hour to get on top of a few little jpegs and short clips for a video lasting 
a couple of minutes. Two hours later and the timeline won't play because Videopad simply cannot cope with easy little jobs. 

This was a wasted purchase. As far as I can see, Videopad is no use to us. We also installed a free working copy of another video editor, just in case, and it worked perfectly. There was no lag, none of that Videopad "building preview" and long waits, nor was there any temporary loss of sound. 
Our CPU never went above 80% at any time. There is no damage risk nor fire risk with that one.

As any customer should expect when using a respectable machine for easy tasks, the other software worked right out of the box, 
while Videopad can't even play the timeline. The software version is not relevant; when a customer pays money they expect a 
product that does what it's supposed to do. In our short experience, Videopad fails the test that it has to be fit for purpose. Game over.

Now you experts may say that Videopad works perfectly for you. There is not much ypu can teach us. I say that it might work if
you spend enough time, maybe hours, maybe days or weeks, tinkering with your machine and trying a myriad workarounds.
It does not work right out of the box and we can't waste hours, days, waiting and messing with software that can't do the job. 

Really guys, Videopad is a nightmare and it's hard to understand why it is sold as a functioning video editor at all. 

Videopad works very well here, especially the latest 64-bit version, as it does for many other users.  If allowed to fully cache the content there should be no "building preview."   The current 32-bit release is here. 

What version is being used?  It is relevant.  The architecture has recently been changed to utilize GPU more effectively, for speedier en/decoding.  There have been some hitches during this retooling, as there always are, but when verified they are corrected.

If you share the problem project, someone will be glad to give it a test to compare their CPU/GPU and timing results with yours.  We can test on an I3.

The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thank you for your reply. You seem to be disputing our post without good cause and also telling us we're all wrong here. We purchased Videopad and we spoke plainly. The version is fairly recent; if you wish, you can have the serial number. Our machine is perfectly capable of running video projects and we have no problems with the (free) alternative, which we are using instead. Sorry, Videopad does not work very well for us at all. And for the record, when our copy of Videopad is marketed as a Pro video editor -: it should be able to master and render a simple two minute video, regardless. Unfortunately it cannot, and the implications of that, are clear. We don't have time to upload for you, and in any case the business in question should not be shared with anyone. I'm rather surprised you asked. If you have no more to add, we'll get on with our late evening here.

Thank you.

Edited by psimons
Spelling

This is a user forum;  folks just like youself trying to help others.  Peer support.  Let the company know your concerns.  Click the chevron at the top-right of the VP window.

There's no dispute that VP is not performing for you and it would be helpful to find out why.  Thus the request to share, which can be done privately via a Personal Message to me.  No one else will see it.  Users who make the effort to work with the folks here usually have their issues resolved.

Complex projects routinely succeed quickly with the 64-bit version.  The 32-bit is also capable and should have no problem with the simple two-minute fare that you describe. 

You may be eligible for a refund. https://www.nch.com.au/general/refund.html  Good luck with your other product's performance and support!

HI

As mentioned higher up in this thread, VP 32 bit runs just fine on a modest 2 core processor Vista machine. A two minute video here would be a very simple project even using multiple tracks, cuts and effects. It's certainly a puzzle that your system appears not to be able to handle something similar.  In fact problems users share here are often checked out in projects much longer than this and often bring up glitches unrelated to hardware. In the majority of cases a work around is usually found and the causes are quickly put right by NCH once they have been notified. Knowing what VP version you are running (which other users will have) and the exact hardware setup you are using would be useful as  it would allow the developers to look more closely at possible causes.

Nat

Video processing is computational intensive. We do intend to reach 100% usage of both CPU and GPU to maximize performance when necessary computation need to be done.

We aware of overheating issue on some older CPUs but we do not want to compromise performance which we think it's more important and apply to every user.

If overhearing become an issue, I think you should shutdown the machine and let it cool down for a while.

• 2 years later...

Had the same problem recently. Temp was going 95C+ and the machine shutting down. Tried a few things, but what sorted it was turning on power throttling in task manager, just for VP. Now runs around 50C. Hope that helps. 

• borate changed the title to Videopad - and only Videopad - raises my CPU temperature to dangerous levels