Phones don't ring if IVM active (VOIP)

stokem

This is probably something obvious .. I'm using IVM on a PC attached by ethernet to a VOIP equipped DSL modem (Belkin). A cordless phone system is plugged in to the modem.

Without IVM running, the phones ring as they should. If IVM is running, the phones don't ring, but IVM will answer using OGM and monitor the call, etc.

Can anybody advise how to fix this?

Thanks.

Hi,

how many rings before taking the call are configured in IVM?

regards

:)

Tjareson.

I have been trialling with 3 rings, but also using 7, which is what I'll probably run with when it's working. Is this setting only made in OGM Settings? If it can be made somewhere else, and there it's set to 0, that would be the problem.

I have been trialling with 3 rings, but also using 7, which is what I'll probably run with when it's working.  Is this setting only made in OGM Settings?  If it can be made somewhere else, and there it's set to 0, that would be the problem.

No, unfortunately there is only one setting for the number of rings, before IVM takes the call.

All in all, that sounds strange...

For my understanding: your phone (no voip phone) is connected directly to your belkin modem. In the modem you configured a sip-account which is assigned to your phone. After that, you start IVM which registers on the same sip account.

The IVM is connected via network connection to you DSL modem.

May be there are some problems with NAT, in case your modem support this. I mean, that after IVM registered all incoming sip-traffic is transfered to IVM, so the modem-internal sip-account doesn't get incoming sip-traffic anymore.

Are you able to register IVM first and then activate the belkin internal sip-account?

(only to find out, if then only the phone rings, and ivm is cut off...)

regards

Tjareson

You are correct with the setup. I can't see how to register IVM first before the belkin sip account, though.

In case it helps: if I edit the mailbox properties so that 'call monitor' is enabled, the phones don't ring (only IVM operates). If that is not enabled, the phones ring but IVM doesn't operate. That does seem to suggest that IVM and the phones can't both be on at the same time.

I can't try now (it's too late in the evening), but would increasing the number of lines in the 'advanced voip' screen make any difference (it's set to 1)?

I can't try now (it's too late in the evening), but would increasing the number of lines in the 'advanced voip' screen make any difference (it's set to 1)?

If you mean the numer of lines-setting in IVM, that only configures, how many parallel calls IVM will receive at the same time, before the caller gets a busy on that specific line. This could be helpful in case your network-connection is not capable of more than for instance 2 simultaneously calls because of traffic limitations. Before a third call would impact the quality of already exisiting connections, you simply restrict it to two parallel connections for example.

Getting back to your problem: do you have any log inside your belkin modem? If the modem is able to connect directly to an voip-provider, there should be something, which says if registering is successful, if incoming rings are detected etc.

regards

Tjareson.

There is a log, which shows that registering is successful, but doesn't make reference to incoming rings. It works properly when IVM is not loaded.

I like your earlier suggestion, that IVM is 'taking over' the VOIP line from the phones, so that they lose SIP registration. If that were happening, what could be done about it? Can IVM be set to take over only after the right number of rings? Or is there something that could be done in the Belkin to allow both to run together?

I like your earlier suggestion, that IVM is 'taking over' the VOIP line from the phones, so that they lose SIP registration.  If that were happening, what could be done about it?  Can IVM be set to take over only after the right number of rings?  Or is there something that could be done in the Belkin to allow both to run together?

The problem is, that this 'taking over' seems to happen on a network basis, which means, that it isn't a "call-by-call"-problem, but a general transfer of sip-traffic at all to IVM instead of your phone. (otherwise your phone would ring a least one time or very short). IVM registers to be able to get rings on your voip-line, after that, your phone is "dead", at least incoming-call wise.

IVM can't register after a defined number of rings, because it simply don't get any rings, if it is not registered....

Unfortunately I don't know your modem, so I can't say anything about the possible configurations of network traffic routing etc. of your belkin modem.

Could you find anything in your manual about NAT (Network Address Translation) and how IP-adresses have to be configured?

I'm afraid, you have to investigate a bit deeper to find some solution. You could for example use different voip-providers for your phone and IVM to check if it is possible at all, to receive sip-traffic at both ends parallel. May be your sip-provider simply doesn't support the registering of more than one device. (which would be uncommon but who knows...)

regards

Tjareson.