Building Sequence Preview / Cannot See Sequence Preview

MwhVid

I'm having an issue where the sequence preview freezes after a few seconds.  Sometimes the screen says it's building the sequence, and usually the audio keeps going. The help topics say it's a RAM issue, and suggest I add RAM to my computer. Short of that, does anyone have any suggestions? I have closed everything else and turned off the wifi, it's hard to know if the video is good or not without being able to watch it! Thanks!

Let the green line above the video thumbnails and, often, the grey line under the preview window, to complete.  Then the project is fully cached.

Update to the latest version.   For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If yours is a complex project with many tracks or very high definition files, try out the 64-bit release.

Still problems?   Share your project.  Someone will take a look and come up with a fix.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Great thanks! I upgraded last night to the newest version and it hasn't helped yet. I didn't see a green cache line on the sequence preview. The clips are previewing just fine, it's the sequence that I'm struggling with. The project is relatively simple, right now it's just one audio and one video track though I'd like to add a 2nd audio to play background music. It doesn't seem like it's an issue with my computer as I added more RAM and no change.  I also noticed that the frame rate is 60 fps, would changing that help? This file will be played on a computer or maybe a tv, I'm too novice to know what the exact specifications are that I should have but I did see that a few years ago someone with a similar issue was instructed to change the resolution and  frame rate.

Another thing I noticed is that for at least 1 video clip the audio and video has somehow become unsynced. I tried adding the original video clip again and it's the same, though when I play it outside Videopad it's fine. I'm hoping a computer restart might clear out some of the cobwebs and issues. 

Thank you so much! 

Upload the project, as instructed above.  Then someone here can work with it just as you do.

This should have nothing to do with RAM or frame rate, as that can be adjusted only for export.

What's the VP version #, shown at the bottom-left of the screen?  What is the format of the clips - mp4, AVI, MOV, MKV?

Thanks! Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1W1DCQ3P89JhAiQ1zIJTtoer6goJgtFfZ?usp=sharing

I am on VP 10.12, the clips are mostly MOV with some MP4 too.  The preview seems to be working now,  but now I'm having a new issue with the video and audio not being synced on some of the clips. The very first video clip is a good example. When I open the original file (it's a MOV file) in Itunes it works fine, but anything else (Windows Media player, photos, etc.) and the sound is off. What can I do about that? Thanks!

Did some tweaking for you, normalizing audio levels and removing a half-dozen or so gaps, which can cause transition freezes and other misbehavior.  To see gaps on video track 1, switch to Storyboard mode.

Download and install this beta version, which has some enhancements over 10.12...   https://www.nchsoftware.com/beta/vpsetup.exe

When editing it's wise to play the timeline after every few edits.  If things look smooth, save project file AS.  Do this routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.

To access this choice, click the chevron to the right of the SAVE PROJECT button on the toolbar, or click MENU (top-left), then FILE | SAVE PROJECT FILE AS.  Then you're protected if things go wrong.  Click the VPJ file of choice and, as long as source content hasn't been deleted or moved, the project will load.

When exporting, suggest you change the "auto match" field to 854x480, to minimize export time - or 1024x576 at most.  Higher resolution likely isn't necessary and will slow things down considerably.

Great thanks I'll try this! I'm in the middle of moving the pictures and videos around which is why the gaps were there, I changed my mind about how to group everything. I'll check out your version and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Just downloaded and installed the beta version and opened your file. It looks like you had edited the original version I posted, there's a newer one that I worked on last night that's in the linked folder above. Not sure how much that matters, a lot will likely be the same. I haven't done anything with the audio levels yet, I was trying to sort out the video first before normalizing the audio.

The un-synciing of the MOV files is still happening, particularly the Ariel.mov and NickFanion.mov. Any suggestions about that? Thank you!

The project had no sync issues in version 10.16 after a few MOV files that were affected had been adjusted.  A sync discrepancy with some MOVs has been confirmed and will be fixed.

Ran your revised VPJ in 10.16.  Ariel, Nick and others were in sync.  The ending ZOOM clip was out.  There was a glitch or freeze at some dissolves and it's tough to pin down the cause at this juncture.  Fixes include removing or shortening the transition, or perhaps using TRANSPARENCY effects instead on the adjacent clips.

Good work!

Doubtful that sync will be in at export if it was out on the timeline.  But give it a go.

Just a few clips were out when your original was loaded into 10.16;  they were manually adjusted.

The seamless result is what you saw in the linked 856x480 export.

Which track, video or audio, that needs adjustment depends upon the clip.  Recall that on some, video required a small snip at the head, then the gap was closed.  Beware of this unintentionally affecting other clips.  Takes some experimentation.

Expand the timeline with the slider at the left-bottom to enable more precision.  If you make a mistake, immediately press <ctrl-Z> to backtrack, step-by-step.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.

Got it thanks! the ones that are showing as out are showing that way on the clip preview too, would that be true if the gap is on the timeline? As in, does the timeline override the original clip preview? Thanks so much for all your help with my endless questions!