Split clips into separate files?

jfraze

Is there a simple way to split a video file into separate files (so I can use a disk menu to jump to each file in my dvd player).

I have a 4.5 hour video which I've split into about 25 separate events. I think I could place each clip into the timeline one at a time and export as its own movie, but that will take all day. Or longer. (On a 4.5 hour video this runs agonizingly slowly). Is there a more simple way to export or save the file so the individual clips are saved as separate files?

The end goal is just to burn to a single DVD but have each event as an independent video, so I can click straight to it from the menu. If there's another way to accomplish that goal I'm open to changing my strategy. E.g., I could divide into chapters, but Videopad gives me no way to save those chapters into the menu. Is there maybe some workaround to make a menu which includes my chapters?

http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/finalise_dvdchapters.html

Using the ADD MENU (list) option may do what you want. 

While the bookmarks (now chapters) won't have unique names, each should be individually selectable from the menu.  This may vary with the player/viewer used.

For more extensive authoring, check out Express Burn.

A 4.5 hour project may be pushing things.  Test it with the 64-bit Videopad version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

I'm able to work with and export the file as mp4, but so far haven't attempted to burn to disk. I suspect I may need to split to two DVDs but want to master chapters first. I'll try the ADD MENU (list) option. I thought I'd tried that on an earlier project and it didn't do what I'd wanted, but I can't remember what went wrong. I'll have another go. Thanks.

MPC-BE is a PC media player that can handle DVD movies and most other formats.

Using that player with a Windows 10 virtual DVD, the above list appears under the NAVIGATE | ROOT right-click submenu.

When played in MPC, using an actual disk, the  list doesn't display in those menus, but JUMP TO lists clickable chapters

Can't say what your standalone unit will react.  Players differ.  Give it a test.  Use a DVD-RW (rewritable) disk so the disk isn't wasted.  And check out Express Burn.

I don't seem to have an "ADD MENU (list)" option per se. When I go to burn the disk to DVD, I have the option to add a menu, and when I do I get a choice of templates, one of which is called "Basic (List)." Is that what you were referring to? Or am I missing a menu item or dialog somewhere?

The problem with the Basic (List) menu is that it doesn't use chapters to make the list. It adds each individual file as a separate menu item. Which is why I'd wanted to split my 4.5 hour video into 25 independent segments.

Maybe there's a difference because I have the Mac version of VideoPad? Maybe I'm looking for the menu option in the wrong place?

Yes, checking the "Use Bookmarks As Chapters" box, then clicking ADD MENU and choosing "Basic List" template is what was described.

A single sequence, split into parts - with each bookmarked - will become a single DVD with a list of chapters where the bookmarks have been placed.  Each item will play from its chaptered starting location to the end of the sequence, as opposed to playing only the individual segment.  So they aren't truly "independent."

But a 4.5 hour project may be problematic.

In Windows 10 there's no need to burn a DVD to see results.  Export as a DVD Image File, which will become an ISO file.  Double-click on it from Windows Explorer (the file manager).  A new drive letter will appear.  Open MPC-BE (or perhaps another DVD player) and direct it to select the new drive letter.  The export will play as if it were a physical DVD.  When done, right-click the drive letter and Eject.  (MPC-BE should list the chapters as outlined above.)

If satisfied, the ISO file can burn a DVD, using the appropriate software.

What I'm looking for is a menu with the individual bookmarks listed. So I can jump straight to that bookmark or "chapter" directly from the menu. When I attempt the Basic List option it only lists the name of the entire video. The bookmarks are there when I export... you can click through the video one chapter at a time while playing it from the start. But they don't show up in the menu, and there's no way to play the video starting at any selected chapter. Is that the expected behavior?

That's why I thought I would need to divide the single file into 25 separate files, so each one would show up individually in the List menu. If that really is the only way to get a list of chapters or videos in the menu, is there a way to save or export to automatically divide the file into the 25 separate files? Or do I need to manually export each clip one at a time?

Or am I still doing something wrong using chapters?

Thanks again for bearing with me!

(FYI, I'll split the 4.5 hour down to 2 smaller segments if necessary. I'm just hoping to avoid doing that 25 times! I'm experimenting with much smaller videos to see how this will work.)

With MPC-BE on this PC, the bookmarks are listed chapters, as shown above, under the  NAVIGATION | TITLE and ROOT MENUS, or via the JUMP TO choice.   The MAIN title may have to be clicked first, before each chapter is listed individually.

When a DVD made with VP bookmarks is loaded into my Samsung BluRay/DVD player there's a Chapter List under the TOOLS menu.  Each chapter can be clicked and played individually, which seems to be what you're after.  Works fine.  As noted earlier, behavior and options can vary with the viewer/player being used.

Hmm. No such thing as a Tools menu on my Sylvania player. I can't find any option to jump to any chapter.

As far as testing on a DVD-RW, it appears that VideoPad finalizes the disk when exporting to DVD, so it can't be used again anyway. Is there a way to prevent that?

Any way to divide the video up into 25 separate files w/o manually exporting one clip at a time?

A DVD-RW is rewritable after finalizing.  Right-Click and erase it.  If another recording is attempted it will prompt for that.

Chances are that the Sylvania player has a means to display the chapters or menus.  Check the documentation, if available...

http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/osram_sylvania/osram_sylvania_dvd_player_product_list.html

Individual exports can be made in a number of ways, but essentially one at a time.  Chaptering is the way to go.

For more extensive authoring check out Express Burn...

To play on a DVD or Blu-ray player

• Includes menu and button templates for DVD authoring
  • Video files are re-encoded for standard movie discs
  • DVD burner supports avi, mpg, vob, wmv, mp4, ogm and all video formats with a DirectShow based codec
  • Create and manage chapters on DVD and Blu-ray discs
  • Widescreen or standard formats for video burning
  • Record video files to PAL or NTSC

Yeah, I can erase the DVD on my PC. I hadn't discovered that, even on the Mac, VP asks you to overwrite the data if you put in a DVD-RW.

As far as the menu... I found that (after burning with the Basic (List) menu) my DVD player does display a menu after burning it with bookmarks... but they don't do anything. The opening menu comes up with no chapters showing. When I hit Play, though, rather than starting to play, it then brings me to the list of chapters. But if I choose a chapter, any chapter, it always and only starts playing from the very beginning of the video. Worse, it no longer allows me to skip chapters. If I use the Skip button it keeps bringing me back to the start of the video. It worked better without using the List option. At least that way I could skip through the chapters.

I'm assuming that's not the way this is supposed to work. Can anyone confirm that they've had a different experience using the Basic (List) menu option using bookmarks to create chapters? Or has anyone else had my experience? This seems odd.

Unfortunately I can't justify buying another program for this project. VP does everything else I need. I tried the demo of ExpressBurn a while back but I've long-since used up my trial period. It seemed like the only thing it might do (that VP doesn't seem to) is create a custom menu with nameable chapters.

Thanks again for the advice and help.

Basic (NO list) creates a Play button that always starts from the beginning.

On the Samsung standalone player, as noted above, Basic (list) gives a Play button, then a list of chapters that can be chosen independently.  That hints that your player doesn't support the layout that VP provides?

Suggest updating to the latest VP release, but be aware that for licensed users upgrades are free for only six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If you reinstall Express Burn, it's possible that it will function again for a trial period.  Worth a try.