How to record HDV tape in 1920 x 1080?

LahontanCut

I bought Debut so I could transfer HDV Mini DV recordings using Firewire.  But when I choose the 1920 x 1080 option at 30fps in the Video Output options, I get the following warning when I start to record "Recording at resolutions higher than 720p in AVI, MOV, MP4 or FLV may result in very low frame video. You may opt to resize the output to a smaller resolution..."

Sure enough, if I choose to continue the quality is terrible with many dropped frames.  I'm able to successfully record at 720p resolution but I bought Debut primarily to transfer HDV tapes at the format they were recorded.

Is there a setting I'm not selecting in order to get this to work at 1920x1080?  My version is Debut Professional 6.63

I don't recall if I tried WMV but why would Debut not save HDV captures in AVI which is the standard format camcorders store recorded files?  In order for the capture to end up in WMV format, the digital data must be converted using a codec.  Why would Debut developers require that extra step?  The recordings were definitely 1920 x 1080 as they would only play with the HDV settings on my Sony HVR-M15AU deck and would not play on my standard DV camcorder.  I'll retry with WMV but have already re-installed the Debut program once.