Fade in from black but not at the start

Uberprutser

I want to fade in a clip but not a the start of the sequence and I don't believe I can use a transition because the previous clip will also be blacked out.

Or can I perhaps create a "unbalanced" transition?

I found the fade options under the fx button. But now I have a follow up question. The fade from back does not happen at the moment I want so can I cut up the clip and make it back? Or do I need to replace the video with something that is already black?

Hi

A stand alone clip can be faded in by clicking the f at the left end.

ddd.jpg

Use the Transparency effect with a start keyframe showing 0% Opacity and a second keyframe at 100% Opacity positioned where you want the fade-in to be complete.....

ccc.jpg

If you are doing this over another clip on a lower track then you may have to use a black blank below the fading in clip.

Alternatively split the clip where you want the fade in to start and then add the fade-in to the second half of the clip BUT you have to fade in from something and this is usually a different clip consequently this would look decidedly odd.:)

Nat

Hi

Oh yes..the f is not present in the right hand part of a split clip.....I think it ought to be. However the gap is not needed as after splitting the clip you can use FX on the right hand portion and then select Fade In from the effects. This acts in the same way as if you had used the f.

aaa.jpg

Nat

I ended up replacing part of the video with a blank clip and the adding a fade in effect on the next clip.

I should have tried key-framing the Transparency effect, that might have been easier.

(I did have a look at the exposure effect, but that did not allow me to change the video to pure black)