Uploading 360 video to Youtube - no longer working

lz7cjc

Hi

I have been merrily uploading 360 videos from VideoPad but now they don't appear as 360 videos when viewed on Youtube.

I have tried exporting as 360 video to the local file system, then uploading as well as exporting direct to YouTube. I have tried using presets, I have tried checking the 360 video box and leaving it unchecked.

The best config for me is: "360 degree 1980p" with the check box, unchecked for conversion from 2d to 3d.

I have hi res 360 videos that work fine on my laptop but when I upload them, they become 2d. Has something changed? What is the foolproof way to make this work? Older videos on my channel still work in 360 but none that I have tried to upload in the last week.

thanks for your help

Nick

• borate changed the title to Uploading 360 video to Youtube - no longer working

Thanks - has something changed in the last few weeks? This used to work seamlessly in the past. I would just upload to Youtube, checking the 3d box and everything worked. But that is no longer the case. I don't see a date on that article so not sure how it relates.

This is how it now appears on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGM4C94VIKU&t=2s

and this is how it used to appear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW1pAUzSMUI

Same process in stitching the source video, same process editing in VideoPad, same process in uploading to Youtube, but a very different result

thanks

Have you changed Videopad versions since the time it worked?  If so, what version was in use then and what release is installed now?

There have been no reports of a change in the uploader.  What happens if you export a file, per YT specs, then use their uploader?

I might be using a newer version of videopad. I am using the non commercial version.  I did try to find the version number but can't see where to get it.

18 minutes ago, borate said:

What happens if you export a file, per YT specs, then use their uploader?

Not sure what you mean or how to do this. What I loved about Videopad is how easy it was to use!

I have looked at the link you sent me but that requires a fair amount of brain activity. The beauty of using VideoPad in the past is that this wasnt necessary!

Using YouTube's uploader isn't difficult.  There are many tutorials on line.  Search for "How to upload to YouTube."  Here's their official support page...

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

If that succeeds, but a direct Videopad upload doesn't, then perhaps something has changed, but no reports have been posted.

The Videopad version # shows up when it starts and in the left-bottom corner when it's running.  What version is being used and was an older one being used earlier?

The thing is that when I export to my local system it works as a 360 draggable video.

Doesn't that mean it has the correct meta data associated with it?  I open it in VLC and it looks great.  When I upload the same file to Youtube it isn't recognised as 360 video.

Sounds as if Videopad is doing it right.  Try YouTube's uploader for an approved file type that has been exported from Videopad.  Their FAQ has the specs.

Just tested a 360 direct YT upload and it succeeded. 

Share your project.  Someone will check it out.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks for your help.

I found two workarounds. 1 was the injector which has  been successful for two films. The rest are still processing after 6 hours but hopefully they will complete. The second was to export to local file system, reimport to VideoPad then export to YouTube. However this resulted in a line where the two cameras stitch together

There is definitely something odd going on with the export directly from VideoPad v7 for me

Upgrade your VP version and share your project, as suggested above, and someone will check it out.

Even if Videopad says that YT is still processing, go to your YT page and check whether the upload has completed.

Try the YouTube uploader for the video where the two cams were stitched together.

7.51 is old.  The latest Windows version is here.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

No need to upload the full project.  Just upload a section that demonstrates the issue.  Folks need to replicate what you are seeing.

• 1 year later...

I had the same issue with uploading the 360 photo on Facebook but figured out it starts working after several days since you uploaded it. With youtube right now I have no issues, fortunately. Even with my new complexed camera which is part of a photo booth (Visit this site if you want to know what it looks like). The camera turns 360 degrees around the person who stands on the platform. Has anyone tried it ever?