Problem with larger files

Astroni

Well ... I've been using VideoPad for about half a year and initially there were no problems (at least not the ones I couldn't deal with), but recently some of the larger files (about 1.4GB) have started to get annoying problems.

Depending on the intensity of your work, after about 30 minutes the file starts to be difficult to play - it looks as if the sound is not keeping up with the video. At first it is barely visible, but as the minutes go by, the program thinks more and more, until finally it is impossible to work with it and a restart is necessary.

Here is the screen: https://ibb.co/gdGRRP2 .
You can see what is happening with the cursor. This view appears during longer work, when I try to put the cursor in a different place - the upper half of the cursor is in one place, the lower half is in the other, and the program freezes momentarily.

I don't understand why it started to happen, since even in the summer there was no problem with editing the same big files (I made three videos based on the same materials).

Today I tried to reinstall the codecs, but I can see VideoPad is using its own, so it's no use.

I am using version 8.45, purchased. (And I'd rather not reinstall it, because your program has a nasty habit of setting itself as the default application for anything media-related - you should do something about it.)

Interesting.  In countless installs, have never had VP take over extensions from viewers/players.  Nor has a split-scrubber ever been seen here.

Before beginning a project, click OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  This can be done at anytime during editing as well, should there be files left over from prior projects.

8.45 is a solid version.  But you might consider updating to the latest.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.  A newer release can always be test driven, unlicensed, to check out features and quirks.

As VP is still a 32-bit program, very large, high-def files or complex projects can bog it down, or make export unpredictable.  In those cases it may be wise to apportion the project into segments, export and verify that each is good, then later merge the segments for the final export.

You may also get better UI response by using Proxy editing.  Then VP doesn't deal with large files until export.  Even higher-end NLEs often employ this method.

18 hours ago, borate said:

Before beginning a project, click OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  (...)

In those cases it may be wise to apportion the project into segments, export and verify that each is good, then later merge the segments for the final export. (...)

I know these two ways and it would be hard to do without them :) After exiting the project, I almost always delete the entire folder with temporary files. Especially before exporting, because when exporting a movie with old temporary files, I have a guarantee that most of the video effects will not be saved properly. (So I don't understand why the program doesn't clean this folder on its own or at least update the video effects files.)

Without dividing it into segments, it would not be possible to do much either, but - and that's the problem - I used to be able to calmly edit an eight-minute-long segment, and since December the program was incredibly lagging already at four minutes. I don't understand what has changed. The program does not like any specific codecs, bitrates?

But the Proxy idea... That doesn't answer my question, but it would actually be a smart way to make the program easier. Funny I didn't think about it myself :D

18 hours ago, borate said:

Interesting.  In countless installs, have never had VP take over extensions from viewers/players.  Nor has a split-scrubber ever been seen here.

It is like that for me. After its first installation, most of the multimedia files looked like MTV in the example: https://ibb.co/VV6H4dY (after reinstalling the codecs everything is again assigned to WMP, but extensions unknown to K-Lite remained). Not to mention a series of unnecessary options added to the context menu (Add to VideoPad Project, Stabilize Video, and for photos - Convert image file and Create slideshow) and setting his own star icon. When I tried to fix some problems with the program installation - I had to tidy up everything from beginning.

But well - it may be a little different for me. I use Windows XP, so maybe some old stuff works with him that you've stopped testing a long time ago. Maybe better you know about it, because VideoPad is one of the really few video editors that not only starts up but also works very nicely with such old computers.

There once was an option to clear cache on exit.  Perhaps it was removed because folks who used it didn't realize that reloading a project would take much longer if cached files were purged?

Best suggestion to replicate the slowdown and see how your project is constructed and performs, is to share it.  Of course, hardware and O/S differences will skew the results.

Someone will analyse it.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

I can do this, however I don't know if anything will be happening on your fast computers. Usually project requires a few minutes of editing for VideoPad to start having problems with file handling, but for this unlucky segment (which made me especially tired) the cursor behaves strangely shortly after the sound is loaded, during play. The effect is also common when changing the zoom (with the shifter in the lower right corner). The reason was not one file that I used often ("SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG All Cutscenes (All Paths, Dark, Hero and Neutral) Game Movie 1440P 60FPS.mp4"), but also "Bayonetta All Cutscenes Movie ( 1080pHD ).mp4" (which surprises me because it is much smaller).

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iGNRJ-m58r3VLbTmwt_jG9HOsygoL8VF?usp=sharing

Most of the files are okay, some of them (700MB for example) cause the problem much later than these two, but I don't understand it anyway, because it didn't happen in summer.
The disk space is still the same (about 30GB, which is enough for temporary files), I don't remember installing anything new... I have no idea.

(Let me know, when I can delete the files.)

Server is clear, and thanks for sharing.  Using a lower-end gaming class PC and the latest Videopad beta release, couldn't spot a problem.

The UI responded immediately when adding a few effects and transitions.  No lag.  Export at 1280x720 mp4 defaults looked good. 

Might be time to consider a hardware and/or O/S upgrade.

I suspected that eventually all would end up with suggestions for making upgrade ;)
Anyway, thanks for your help, time and attention! I will also definitely use the Proxy method next time - everything will run much smoother with it.