Videos with multiple audio tracks

LOLinDark

On 5/4/2018 at 2:09 AM, GregBr said:

I do Youtube Videos and had this same problem.  The way I got around it was this:  I record using OBS64 and I put the desktop audio on tracks 1 and 2 and my voice on track 3.  I save it as an MP4 file.

I then copy the saved file and save it so I have the same file with 2 different names.

I import the first file into Video Pad Pro while telling it to use Track 1 in stereo (which actually gives me tracks 1 and 2.

Then I import the 2nd file (same file, different name) and I tell that one to use track 3.

I now have 2 parallel videos with separate audio tracks in my lower scroll section. I can "mute" the video (not audio) portion of the 2nd file and that essentially gives me 1 video file with 2 audio tracks: one stereo and one mono for my voice.

Should we really need to do all that just to view two audio tracks? 

I'm totally baffled that dragging an item from the VideoFiles tab and dropping it on our Sequence does not create additional Audio Tracks. 

I really like this app but this is a headache when processing my current 20 videos. Either there's a fix coming or this is a deliberate design for some strange reason I can't get my head around.

Update: I used another very similar app before this which I won't mention. It creates "Audio Track 1" and "Audio Track 2" on my Sequence.

Edited by LOLinDark
Additional information added.

• 1 month later...

Yes, it's not about right/left stereo sound. It's about one track with gameplay audio and one track with voice commentary audio. Being able to raise/lower the volume level or further edit each audio track.

I have the same problem the initial post creator is talking about. I record my video in OBS and I set it up to record my computer audio (gameplay) to one audio track and my mic (commentary) to another track. I save as an MKV file. Then I import that video into Videopad editor. I get one video track and one audio track. I can hear both gameplay and commentary but there is only one audio track available. I can adjust the audio for that one audio track but it lowers the volume of both the gameplay and the commentary. I need to edit each audio track separately from the video. I see the initial suggestion of duplicating the original file and then importing it twice, that is a useable solution but its bulky and clumsy and I see no reason why this software isn't able to do this natively.  

Are there any other solutions besides what was already posted?

Edited by Vlkirkpatrick
clarification

Let's take a look at one of those MKV files.  And, if you're not doing so already, try it on the current version.

Upload the file to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.

Using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

On 2/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, borate said:

Let's take a look at one of those MKV files.  And, if you're not doing so already, try it on the current version.

I'm not sure if my license will apply to the current version. It's been more than a year, maybe two years, since I bought the software. I had an issue after installing an update to the software and support had me roll back to an earlier version. So now I am hesitant to install a more current version. I'm currently using V5.32.

5.32 is very dated.  You will have to pay for a license upgrade, but can always test drive newer releases to see what features and quirks they have to offer.

Retain your installer and registration info.  And submit that test MKV here, so folks can analyse your issue.

Here is a short video with commentary, just me testing the setup. I can carry on using the method that one poster stated, to import the video again and choose the other audio track, then you end up with two video tracks and two audio tracks. I can work with that but I still feel that if the video has two tracks, the software should import the video and both tracks first thing when it is imported. Also, I will upgrade my software because I do enjoy using Videopad editor. I just have to wait a few paydays. I'm so glad 2020 is over. Lets hope 2021 has learned some lessons!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15I1_xAatl6czrBTPO9XPZw557_JXX-FW/view?usp=sharing

Someone will look into it.

When you do purchase, there's a six-month upgrade window.  Still, it's wise to export with the version (or closely dated release) that created the project.  A lot has changed under the hood since the 5.x series.

There is now a 64-bit version, being phased in on a random basis.  Though it offers essentially the same as its 32-bit sibling, it is capable of handling more complex projects.  To see what flavor the installer has supplied click the Menu at the top-left, then FILE | ABOUT.  If it doesn't list "64-bit" than it's the 32-bit version. 

As for 2021?  Well... 

• 4 weeks later...

On further reflection, this process seems to be working as intended.  Though it takes a few steps, it's easy.  Here's a two-channel MKV example...

1.  Import the file to the bin but don't place it on the timeline

2.  Right-click on it and COPY

3.  Right-click an open area in the bin and PASTE (Clip)

4.  Right-click the original file and SELECT AUDIO STREAM 1

5.  Right-click the copied file and SELECT AUDIO STREAM 2

6.  Place the original on the timeline

7.  Overlay the copy on the timeline, just below the original

8.  Either Hide the extra video track or right-click on the track, UNlink from audio and then delete the video.