Subtitles bugged?

Perry Matthews

I was working on a video earlier, and I've run into two main issues while I was adding the subtitles. 

The first is the overlapping of new subtitles. What happened was, for example, I type something out, and its duration is from 0:00.000 to 0:03.000. And then I try to add another line right after it. When I do this, however, it automatically regresses by 0:00.001, meaning that the newly added subtitle begins at 0:02.999, thereby making me have to fix it for each line. I was wondering if this is a bug, and if there is a way to circumvent this minor inconvenience. 

Another issue was that sometimes, the subtitles simply refuse to stay at their positions. This usually happens when I set the subtitles at say, Horizontal: 10 and Vertical: 10. The offset is reset whenever I click Apply and exit out, and no matter how many times I've tried to fix it, it just wouldn't budge. Is there something that I'm missing here?

Hi

Your observations ARE correct, but in practice (and it's probably just a mathematical anomaly as regards the numerical value shown)) does it make any difference? The second and subsequent S/T follows the first cleanly and I can't see any reason to fiddle with the Show or Hide values . You have said that you require to show the ST one after the other and this does so...

aa.jpg.

The stepping back by 0.001 ensure that this happens, so I don't thing it's a bug.

With reference to format, you can set this to apply to all the S/T or just the selected ones.  Step back to the list for your selection or addition al S/T by clicking Text.  If you click Apply it fixes the list with your format settings and returns to the main VP edit window. 

However if you return to the subtitles screen for further entries it seems that the Format has been reset so any S/T you positioned higher will have been moved back down again. I am pretty certain that this may be a bug. I can't think of a workaround apart from suggesting you complete all your subtitles then add your format and finally save an SSA file. Alternatively why not add each subtitle as a simple Add Text  ????

Nat

Nat said:  However if you return to the subtitles screen for further entries it seems that the Format has been reset so any S/T you positioned higher will have been moved back down again.

Not seeing this in version 8.97??

Created four titles and moved all to the upper right.  Then returned to the text window and added another.  No position change.

10 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

Your observations ARE correct, but in practice (and it's probably just a mathematical anomaly as regards the numerical value shown)) does it make any difference? The second and subsequent S/T follows the first cleanly and I can't see any reason to fiddle with the Show or Hide values . You have said that you require to show the ST one after the other and this does so...

aa.jpg.

The stepping back by 0.001 ensure that this happens, so I don't thing it's a bug.

With reference to format, you can set this to apply to all the S/T or just the selected ones.  Step back to the list for your selection or addition al S/T by clicking Text.  If you click Apply it fixes the list with your format settings and returns to the main VP edit window. 

However if you return to the subtitles screen for further entries it seems that the Format has been reset so any S/T you positioned higher will have been moved back down again. I am pretty certain that this may be a bug. I can't think of a workaround apart from suggesting you complete all your subtitles then add your format and finally save an SSA file. Alternatively why not add each subtitle as a simple Add Text  ????

Nat

The thing is, I need the subtitles to be accurate down to the thousandth because I use these as markers during my video. Just being off by a millisecond will throw everything off, since it’s a continuous thing. Version 4.99 (which I’ve been stuck with for the past 5 years or so) never had this issue. I guess I’ll just fix each one every time.

And I see, I guess I’ll try that method for the text. Thank you, Nat! :) 

Hi Borate

Yes that works without a stepback. I think the problem is that a logical intuitive way would be  to...

• Click ADD
  • Enter the S/T
  • Click ADD  and etc.

It would be logical that this would automatically shift the cursor along but it doesn't.

This sequence of steps doesn't move the END marker along so in this scenario S/T are all in the same place. If, however you click the S/T in the list the cursor line does move but that's when you get the stepback fault. It seems a bit unnecessary to have to KNOW that you have to move the cursor along if you want end to end S/T ...It's obvious though (and intuative) to move the cursor along if you want the S/T to be separated on the timeline.

I don't use S/T anyway as I do prefer text entries but if Perry picks up on this with his more exact requirements his problem is solved.

Nat