Missing files

batista230

Hi

VP is certainly supported!:)

Download the latest version here..

https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/versions.html

or the Free version to try here,,,

https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html?ref=nls191WA

What version are you trying to use and what files could not be located? You are adding a file from a specific folder (using Add files) so VP should recognise it. What happens when you drag and drop a video clip directly to the VP clip bin?

Nat

• borate changed the title to Is video pad still supported?

The files listed have either been moved or deleted, so Videopad doesn't know where to find them.

Click on RESOLVE and the file manager will appear.  Locate the file and double-click it.  When all items have turned green, click FINISH.

Don't move files that VP needs.  And Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.

The version # is shown at start up and at the left-bottom of the VP screen.

Hi

The version number is at the bottom left of the screen. It's 8.99 and fairly recent and you are using the Unlicenced  Home version. 

The screen display shows you have opened a previously saved project.  a vpj file (untitled) but it requires two mp4 files to complete the loading. These are both listed and both location and name are shown.

For some reason VP cannot find these files as they have been..

1. Deleted from your PC or
  2. Moved to a different location on your PC

The problem is for you to resolve. If you deleted the files you would need to reload them, or if you moved them to another folder you would need to click the Resolve button and then browse to that folder. If you then click the file VP will load it it. Your project will then be restored.

Nat

• borate changed the title to Missing files (Is video pad still supported?)

No doubt anyone can view...IF they sign in, which is what some choose not to do.  Google Drive and MS OneDrive don't require that.

If you click on a VPJ file and a prompt for missing files appears, click RESOLVE on each file, locate them and click on them.  This will tell VP where they are.

Alternatively, using your PC's file manager (Explorer) copy the files to the folder where VP expects them to be.  The path is shown in each 'resolve' entry.

• borate changed the title to Missing files

I don't have an account with the linkes of google or MS and they require to much censorship etc to set one up

That Link may be visible to the public in a few hours once it has been published by the site

But in the mean time please download the video from hear https://wetransfer.com/downloads/cda6237b2850e3f7680821a5c4f6ff5c20201219200143/8c3f774015e2b262ed6f1596b6e6099d20201219200211/ded571

You must search for the files.  Click the chevron to the right of where it states "Videopad Projects."

Examine your folders until you locate the files.  Then double-click on each missing file.  Do this for each RESOLVE item.

Incidentally, it's not necessary to quote each response you make.

Each time a project is saved it generates a VPJ file that tells the program where to find the source files and what effects/transitions/etc. to make.

Routinely Save Project File AS, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.

If clicking on a VPJ results in this, Videopad expects to find it in the path shown.

resolve.jpg

Using the PC' s file manager, either move the file to that folder before launching VP or click the RESOLVE button.  That brings up a file manager window.

choose.jpg

Search for the file.  In this case it had been moved to the DOWNLOAD/SHADOW FILES folder.  Once found, double-click on it.  The yellow RESOLVED path will turn green.  Now VP knows where to find the file.  When you next Save AS, it will memorize that location so you don't get the prompt when launching the project in the future.

Do not move or delete project source files until certain that they will never be needed again.

Hi

Checked your .AVI. You don't seem to be resolving the missing files. Assuming you previously saved your project do this...

• Open VP
  • Click Menu  and select File and then Open Project   (or Recent Projects) This will open a folder where VP last saved a vpj file. (or list the Recent vpj files).  If you Saved your project it will be an Untitled.vpj   If you Saved Project As  it will have a name that you gave it.
  • Browse in that folder to find the vpj file that you saved  and click it e.g....aa.jpgor click the Recent project link
  • VP will now open your project and you can continue to edit it or export it. Note that the vpj file is NOT a video file. It only a text file that contains the data that VP needs to reconstruct your project,  like the name and location of any clips/audio files/image files etc that make up your project. If you have deleted any of those files or moved them to another location VP will not be able to load them and you will see a window similar to this......
  • bb.jpg
  • This indicates that these files cannot be loaded to VP as they are missing or have been moved or have had their name changed.
  • For each file in turn click the Resolve  button. This opens the folder indicated by the vpj data. Use the section on the left of the window to browse to the folder where the clip in question has been moved to. It is up to you to browse to it. Once you have located it, click Open and the clip will be loaded to VP and the Resolve Missing Files screen will now list that resolved file in green...
  • ccc.jpg
  • Repeat for the remaining files that are missing and then click Finish. Your project should then be complete.

Nat

If I double click on the file from the C drive, it loads the program and tries to locate it in either the E or D drive which is not attached to the computer at present.

It would appear now that it is looking for the original files the I made the video pad file up with in the first please.

That would be impossible! since it is looking for the files in the D drive. And I never have had a D drive attached.

When a RESOLVE button is clicked, and the file manager opens, YOU must search.

The file manager should be capable of displaying the C:\ drive, where source files are normally found - unless you have changed that.

It may be listed under "This PC."  Click that entry, find the correct drive, folder and file.

image.png

If this doesn't succeed then there may be something amiss with your PC.  Reboot.  Then reinstall Videopad.  You might also use the file manager directly to see if you can find the missing files, and place them in the folder where Videopad expects them to be, as noted in the yellow path line in the RESOLVE window.

Hi batista230

"......If I double click on the file from the C drive, ......"

I have to assume you are double clicking the previously saved vpj file  like this one?aa.jpg

"..........it loads the program......."

By "program" are now referring to Videopad? If so That is correct!  Clicking a vpj file will start by opening VP.

".....and tries to locate it in either the E or D drive which is not attached to the computer at present....."

That is normal. The data held in the vpj file tell VP where the clips were when they were used.

"........It would appear now that it is looking for the original files that I made the used in video pad file up with in the first please place........."

That is correct!...In this case the clips in question are not present on your C drive and VP can't find them. It knows from the vpj file data that they were stored on either the E or D drive but these are not attached to your PC. It therefore brings up the Resolve Missing Files screen...

Here is an example where images for a project were stored on a removable drive. (Drive H ) The vpj  project file was saved to the C drive. The portable drive was removed in the interim and so clicking the vpj icon in order to load the project , loads VP as expected but then displays the Resolve Missing Files window as the drive where they are stored (H) is not connected... The expected pathway is printed in yellow......

aa.jpg

It is now up to you to locate them!

Click Resolve button and navigate to the correct location. (In this case I would have to reconnect the portable drive  and find the image files manually.

"........That would be impossible! since it is looking for the files in the D drive. And I never have had a D drive attached...."

The reference to a D drive may also refer to a USB socket. (My DVD writer/player is permanently connected to the D USB socket) Did you possibly load files from a USB key that you plugged into a USB socket? One might not always note (probably never) the actual drive letter when you do this..but the vpj file will:) 

Removing the key when finished is normal 

Nat

I never tired to re-shuffle them in the end because it just sounded like a whole lot of bother when it was the last one I was working on. So I decided to start again with the last one I did but this time not moving the original files around until I had done.

But yes now works but I guess that the video pad files are now all useless so best wipe them off to save on disk space

Thanks

The only Videopad file of importance to the user is the VPJ control file that tells the program where to find source files and how to make transitions/effects/etc.

That file is generated when a project is saved.  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.

But now you know not to move or delete your source files until certain that the project will never be loaded again.