Any way to *disable* a hotkey?

kproth

Question:

I'm trialing RecordPad for use at church, and I want to ensure to the best of my ability no-one accidentally "restarts" the recording while it's running.

I found the ability to hide recordpad, but because it doesn't even seem to show a task-tray icon there's no way for the operator to know it's running (other than task manager...).

I found the ability to set a custom hotkey, so I tried overriding the HOME key to mean Record instead of Restart; but unfortunately that makes my HOME key useless when I'm using other apps. Apparently custom hotkeys (at least the HOME/Num7 key) gets trapped globallly, instead of only when RecordPad has focus.

I found the ability to hide the restart key (recordpad -showbtn t), but the home hotkey still causes a restart to occur.

Is there anything I've missed? If not, would you consider a feature request to be able to turn off built-in hotkeys? Or maybe just disable them if the corresponding button has been hidden?

Thanks,

- Kevin

• 1 year later...

Bump... We did end up purchasing a copy, and have been using the product very successfully, but I'm still a little leery of losing a lengthy recording due to a "typo". NCH - has anything been done with this suggestion?

I've passed your suggestion on to the developers and they'll look into it next time RecordPad is updated.

As for the hotkeys, the once predefined in the program (such as the "Home" key) are only enabled when RecordPad is the active window. The global hotkeys are enabled no matter what program is open. If you are able to hide the program (and hence never allow it to be the active window) then there is no risk of the "Home" key restarting the recording.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Thank you for passing this along. I appreciate it.

Interesting tip regarding hiding the app, however, I prefer to have the application visible, to monitor the recording level.

Restart buttons saves the recording sometimes, other times now. I keep losing recordings, or having them overwritten in the playlist. I love the software but I have no confidence that what I am recording will be saved.

Also, I'd like to have an option to save what I am recording to disk in the background as I record, so that even if my machine goes down a portion of the recording will be saved.

Restart buttons saves the recording sometimes, other times now. I keep losing recordings, or having them overwritten in the playlist. I love the software but I have no confidence that what I am recording will be saved.

Also, I'd like to have an option to save what I am recording to disk in the background as I record, so that even if my machine goes down a portion of the recording will be saved.

sorry, "Restart buttons saves the recording sometimes, other times NOT."