AVI Files playing back with distorted audio

I have captured all my camcorder videos from the original DV tapes into AVI format using Windows Movie Maker - very straightforward and easy to do.

But... when I import these files into Videopad the audio sounds really distorted and slowed down, like the pitch has been changed to a much lower sound. 

Yes, the AVIs files playback perfectly. 

When I export the video from Videopad the result is just the same and the same happens when I use the batch conversion tool.

Update to the latest version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Take a minute to share a file or two and someone here will check it out.  Just upload to a free server, such as MS OneDrive or Google Drive, get a shareable (public) link, copy the link and post it here or to me in a Private Message, via the mail envelope at the top-right of this forum.

If using Google, be sure to change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view" or folks won't be able to access it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem with Videopad, version 7.3, after capturing video from DV-cam cassettes with Windows Moviemaker with result a DV-Avi file.

Videopad asks at adding of this file for choice of audiostream, no. 1 or no. 2.

Regardless of choice the result after a long adding time is one videostream and one audiostream, the audiostream being timewise much shorter than the videostream and much distorted.

I have been using DV-date for many years with good result.

Which conversion in DV-Date did you use?