Morse in Videopad.

Camerart

Hi, My first post.

I would like to edit Morse in Videopad.

e,g, the letter E is a DOT (Sound)  I can get an 800 frequency DOT in an audio track, and a letter E shown in the video track ok.  The problem is, how can I shorten the length of time the letter E is shown and be able to see all of the letter?  At the moment, as I shorten the letter, 1/2 of it dissapears.  I would like it to be in the 10ths of a second, say 2/10ths sec to start with.  The tone should be a variable length of time, e,g 0.6 of a second would be good to start with.

Cheers, Camerart.

Dots and dashes are of different lengths, of course.  One approach is to use a code generator that will create a WAV file for the audio.  Next, in Videopad, Set the OPTIONS | MEDIA tab default Image Duration length to about .500.

Open the text file and input the letter A.  In the bin (top-left) right-click that clip and COPY.  Then, in an open area of the bin, right-click | PASTE CLIP.  Do this as many times as needed for all the alphabet or other characters you need.  Then open each text file and input an individual letter, number, etc.

Place your code WAV file on the audio track.  On video track one use a suitable blank or background image.

On track 2, insert the appropriate text file letter just above the audio code character.  The text clip can be shortened or lengthened by dragging its handles, and moved by dragging it left or right, so the position exactly corresponds to the audio.  Takes practice.

Hi B,

I'm not used to the timing settings yet, but I just tried a sound DOT along with an E, which sounded the correct time, but it looked like it was 0.06, but as before, the E had been cut off so only black was showing, although an E did show on the screen, as I want.

Is it possible to post images?

C

Check out the downloadable project and you will see how it was done via the method described above.  You can generate your own code audio file.

No need for precise timings, as the text files can be positioned and sized for each letter.  Nothing will be cut off.

Morse.jpg

Hi B,

Ok, I'll download it and see how it's done.  Is there a link or do I search?

You are aware that I want individual digits complete with its sound e,g, E would be saved on its own.  Then I want to move the image forward and backwards within each digit, to suit my purpose, so that the image would flash up for 'say' a 1/10 second either at the beginning of the sound or middle or end, depending which is best when I edit them.

Thanks

C

The sequence can be sped up via a right-click | CHANGE CLIP SPEED.  This would be a last step  - makes it easier to edit when the code is slow, as in the test.

The best way to accomplish that is to first open a new sequence by clicking the + sign at the right of the Sequence 1 tab.  Then click the SEQUENCES tab in the bin (top-right).  Right-click on Sequence 1 and PLACE IT ON THE SEQUENCE.  Now you have a single clip - no edits.  Right-click to speed it up.

In any case, the individual text files can be adjusted to accommodate (prior to speed change).  Regardless of their sizing the letters will not be cut off.

Hi

OK having played with this a bit (quite good fun!) Try this in order to make a morse generator in VP...

• Set the default image duration to 0.5 seconds
  • Create a text file for each letter of the alphabet. I used Ariel text; size 41 capital letters ; Red and positioned central
  • Load the mp3 sound track and adjust the zoom to show each Morse block.
  • Place each letter text over each Morse block and adjust the duration to equal the Morse block if shorter. Place centrally over the block if it is longer (like "E")
  • Export the timeline....(Call it "MORSE".mp4 for example)
  • Clear VP and then reload the export.
  • Split the track close to the start and end of each morse block. 
  • Select all the unwanted bits one at a time and Delete(Ripple) them
  •  At this point you should have every morse block with a letter above as separate clips.(Depending on the timeline zoom the letters might not be visible but they will be there.)
  • Drag each clip in turn from the timeline directly to the bin. (You will see a green clover icon as you do this)
  • When finished the timeline should be empty and there should be 26 alphabet clips in the video bin plus the original mp4.
  • Delete the original mp4 leaving just then 26 morse clips
  • Rename each of the 26 clips with their alphabet name. They should be in order but checkeach one as you change it. If you now list them in the video bin you should now see this......
  • aa.jpg 
  • Add a blank black clip for a word space
  • Now Save  Project As giving a name like MORSE GENERATOR

To use this add the clips that make up your message one at a time to the end of the timeline sequence. Use the 0.5 sec blank as the space between words. Here is an example done this way....Can you read the message?:)

bb.jpg

Have fun

Nat

11 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

OK having played with this a bit (quite good fun!) Try this in order to make a morse generator in VP...

Have fun

Nat

Hi N,

I'll be VBing later.

I'll need to study you explanation more, but I think I can do what you show, and have all of the letters, numbers and 4x exclamation marks, in both sound and image form.

I mentioned earlier, that when I shortened the video track letters, they cut in half, I can see in you bottom image where the cursor is, the letters have dissapeared, so now I think my cutting in half, is what happens, in the time line.  In other words the letter stops being shown there.

I hope to only show the video letter for a flash, so not the full length of the sound, but at the beggining end or middle, depending on how it looks later.

An yes, it is good fun!

Thanks, C.

16 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi N,

I've had time to look closer at the postings.

1/How do I set the image duration default?

2/The Morse example posted has poor timing and it's very slow.  The actual timing (If I've calculated it correctly) is 1xDot = 60Ms at 20WPM. Which is the same as the gap between Dits and Dashes of a word.

This hopefully will be for me to practice at 20WPM, but sequencies could be posted for others, if it's any good.

EDIT:Found the OPTIONs menu.  My screen wasn't wide enough

C.

Spacing will depend upon the weighting you prefer.  An old timers' 'bug' sending fist sounds much different than most electronic keying.

Image duration default is under OPTIONS | EDITING menu, as you've likely found.

If you go with a speed boost follow the suggestion in the earlier post instead of attempting to change individual clip speeds.

Hi B,

I'm not sure about weighting, but I'm working on the standard timing as here: https://morsecode.world/international/timing.html

Yes, I found the OPTIONS/EDITING Default setting, thanks.

I haven't found speed boost, yet, but can I set it to 20WPM?

In the example, the image zooms, I only want it to be for a part of each sound time, and sharp, so no fade.

C

Hi

In the example I did with VP, the gaps between words is purely guesswork as is the interval between individual letters.  Obviously this is a very  rough idea.:) and more of a mental puzzle to get something to work in a program not really designed for the task. 

You could increase the speed of the message though once you have it on the VP track by creating a Sequence;by clicking the + sign that follows Sequence1 x  at the left end of the timeline. On loading back the sequence from the sequence bin and then right clicking on ityou can select Change the Clip Speed.  Here is the same message as I posted before increased by 150%...   Any better?

Nat

Sequence 1.mp3

Hi B,

If you're referring to Sequence 1.mp3 posted 2 back, it opened for me.  I use Firefox and Chrome, and Firefox has a script checker, and doesn't always allow things to happen.

I haven't studied the Farnsworth method, so only used the timings before it.  I'll check later.

C