Creating a highlight clip

italiangen

Hi.  What is the best way for me to create a small highlight clip from many larger clips?  I was thinking of taking splits, copying them and moving them to a new track but I'm not sure this is the way to do it.  I thought about copying a split and opening a new project and pasting it, but that seems to not work.  I would appreciate some guidance.

I want to take several seconds of several different clips along with its audio and blend them into a three minute clip. 

Thanks for your help,

Peter D   Italiangen 

• borate changed the title to Creating a highlight clip

Import the clips to the bin, then select a clip and under the preview window drag the scrubber (red-line) to the start point.  Click SET START.
Drag to the end point.  Click SET END.  Do this with each clip, until they all display the trimmed content.

Different trims can be made to the same clip.  Right-click a clip in the bin | COPY.  Right-click a blank area in the bin | PASTE (clip).  Set new INS/OUTS.

When done drag the trimmed clips to the timeline in the order desired.

Thanks Borate, 

Here is a link to a screenshot.  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlZIwAz6LW7CgZ0z6dMRj_0LMwkyfw?e=zVsfre

You'll notice that I've go 1 video track VT2 and 2 audio track. AT2 and 3.  Video and audio track 1 no longer exists

1. If I click on the clip I want to extract a small portion by setting the start and endpoint, it does not take the audio from track 3 like I want.  And since I have audio track 2 muted, I get no sound.  Furthermore, the only way I can set the start and end points is to do it in Clip Preview.  Am I correct?  

2.  I saved the original project as the ... Vignette Interview vpj. so that I could try and figure out how to create the highlight clip.

Thanks,  Peter

Excisions can be made on the timeline.  Create identical splits, which represent the INS and OUTS, in both the video track and audio 3.

In the newly split-out area select both the video track and audio 3, then press DEL.  This cuts audio 2 as well - it's linked to video.  But it's muted, so you don't care.

image.png

After sending you the last email I had the thought to just create an MP4 of the final edited clips and then make another vpj and make the ins and outs on that file.  Does this make any sense? 

I see what you mean in your reply, that even the screenshot version, I can do the in and outs equally and then delete everything outside those parameters.  Correct?  When I save the project, I imagine it brings all ins and outs together?  

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

Saving the project, which creates the VPJ file, mirrors exactly what's on the timeline, the effects, transitions, etc.

If there are INS/OUTS to close, right-click between them and CLOSE GAP.  If all material is on track one, use Storyboard mode for a better view of the gaps.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite