Transition behavior and Saving issues

HelpingSaveHumanity

Hi everyone,

So I've been using Videopad for around 5-6 months now, & all of a sudden the transition feature isn't working properly where I get the Video Clip Transitioning popup that asks me if I want overlap or whatever.

It's working on one video, but not on 2 others & I've never had an issue with it before. I normally cut a video & then add a slide & transition between the two with a fade.

Also, the location where the VPJ files go when saving suddenly changed & I never changed anything. Those files always went into that location every single time.

Is anyone else having these issues?

A couple of months ago I learned that tech support isn't REALLY tech support so I'm paying for nothing, & they don't understand English or do their job properly. I tell them what's wrong & they ask me a few days later what's wrong or constantly tell me there's nothing wrong or that I have do look everything up myself instead of JUST telling me or at least giving me a link to the right article. sigh

I'm so frustrated that they offer no support that I'm ready to start looking for another software if anyone has any suggestions. I'm a newbie pretty much, so nothing very complicated & I'm on Win 7.

Or maybe you can tell me why the software is suddenly causing issues.

Thanks

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Specify the SAVE location when you do this;  it should never change on its own.  To access the Save AS dialogue click the chevron to the right of the SAVE button.

The transition default behavior is set under OPTIONS | EDITING tab.  ASK ME is your current setting.  But it can be changed to either Freeze or Overlap.

The reason you have not seen the pop up before is likely because prior transitions always had sufficient video at the end of the FROM clip and the head of the TO clip to cover the transition duration.  Then you worked with one that did not, so it prompted whether to freeze the clips or to overlap them (which can alter sync).

A freeze often works well on short transitions and does not alter sync.  This is the correct behavior.  Transitions require 'leftover' video - after the FROM and before the TO.  If it doesn't have it, it asks what to do, or it follows your default settings.

This forum is your first line of help.  Folks here often come up with solutions.  And when a true bug is verified they pass it on to the developers.

• borate changed the title to Transition behavior and Saving issues

Hi

Some things to check

1. Under Options/Editing what is the  Default Transition Duration set at?
  2. Under Options Editing what is the Video Clip Transitioning option set at?
  3. Under Options/Media what is the Default Still Image Duration set at?

Here I have:

1. 4 seconds
  2. Always Ask
  3. 10 seconds.

Generally no problems.

Nat

Replying to borate -

I'm sorry you didn't understand me.

I never said the file was overwriting anything. I said the location where it normally saves changed & I never changed it.

For freeze frames, the option that was checked off was Ask me. That didn't work, so we changed it to freeze frames. It's not doing that either, it's overlapping.

Like I said, it was working before, now it's not working or it's not working on every video I'm working with.

-0-0-

Hi Nat,

Not sure how that will help solve the problem, but I didn't realize those were there, so I did edit them for what I normally use.

Thanks

The save file location should never change on its own, of course.  Save AS to the location desired and report back if it does it again.  What version of VP is being used?

If the program isn't following your instruction to Always Freeze, then perhaps something has become corrupted.  Tests okay here.

Under OPTIONS | DISK tab Clear Unused Cache Files.  It's wise to do that before starting a new project.

Install the latest version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If registering within the six-month period is an issue, slightly older versions 8.45, 8.84 and 8.91 are alternatives.  They're available here.

Ok, so we just found out that my NCH hasn't been prompting me to update, & I was on a somewhat old version 8.84.

I'm paying by the quarter, not for the yearly price.

Now that I updated, it's working, but that was just a quick test. I still have to do it on the real files to make sure it works.

My website coder tried it on his computer & it also didn't work for him, but that could have been b/c his updated & he was opening the old project files.

Isn't the software supposed to prompt me to update when I launch it?

I normally have it open all the time, but when I restart my computer it should ask me.

Also, why is it loading 2 video tracks? That's very confusing b/c when I pull the video or image down, it puts them in video track 2, not 1. I only want one track unless I pull more files down.

My website coder thinks it's b/c I pulled down an image first & it assumed I wanted that on a separate track (I didn't.)

Thanks

In years of licensed usage here there's never been a prompt - except when a project is incompatible with an older version being tested.  Backwards compatibility is often okay, but isn't assured as there have been numerous changes under the hood.

A video clip dropped from the bin onto the timeline winds up on track one if nothing is competing on that track.  There are also a number of placement choices available by right-clicking a bin clip.  A transparent image, on the other hand, will go to track 2 in recent versions as it's to be used as an overlay.

Well there is no way for me to know that a new update is available. 

Any software I use & I use a lot, ALL prompt me when there's a new update. Why NCH doesn't is beyond me. That's poor coding IMO.

So I tried to redo the first project that wasn't working with the transition after deleting the other 2 & AGAIN, it won't ask me if I want to keep the files together, etc.

This is such a waste of my time & so frustrating.

And no, if I put a video into track 1 first & then split it & then add an image to the beginning of it, it pushes it to track 2 & I have to waste time moving it down to track 1 & wasting time deleting it.

Not liking this new version that's causing a new set of issues, but what is MOST important is that the transition still isn't working.

This is intended behavior with transparent images, which will go to track 2 as an overlay.  Non-transparent stills will go to track 1, unless OVERLAY has been specified, as tested and working here in the latest release.

If a release is working well there's no mandate to update.  Version changes are often incremental and can always be test driven, unlicensed.  Just retain the purchased installer and registration info.  Check out new features, and glitches, and see if the newer release offers anything you want.

Unless you have installed an older version that's somewhat incompatible with a project made with a later release it normally won't prompt for upgrades - at least that's the case with purchased releases.  It's best to edit and export with the same version, or a closely dated relative.

It's unclear what is meant by "transition still isn't working."  Upload a project that demonstrates the issue.    Just follow these steps.  Someone will take a look and come up with a fix.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view"  Click COPY LINK | DONE.
  •     Share ---    Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.