Moved but not moved

Alan R

Somehow I managed to achieve the impossible I have not achieved.  Puzzled?  Read on.

I have a large project broken into smaller pieces to make it manageable.

Each small piece will be a collection of images and related clips.

Open a project, work on it, close the project.

This morning I open part1.vpj and it complains it can't find any images where it expected them to be.  It thinks they are in the folder that contains the clips.  But they are in a folder that contains only images, I know that, they are still there.  So how (why) does VP think they have moved when they haven't?

Yes VP offers a way to resolve the issue, but it only resolves one by one, and in some parts I may have up to 70 or so images.

and 5 parts in total.

Its one thing to be able to do the resolve, but I would also like to understand how this mess arose so I can make sure it does not happen again.

I have 6 parts to this project.  5 think their images are somewhere they are not.

I have just thought that I could put a copy of all 134 images in the clips folder so that VP can find the images where it already thinks they are, but I would still like to know how I have managed to confuse VP into thinking the images are where they are, but have never been. 😢

Hard to say why this occurred??

Of course, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.

When this is done, all the paths to source files should be just as they were at the time the project was saved.

Oh what a shame Borate - little gets by you usually, but no matter.

Just playing, I went through one part resolving each issue (finding where the image actually was and opening it using the VP Resolve process) until all were working as expected.  VP now knew where each image was as I had corrected the incorrect path names.  Good.

Thought - now I have corrected all the path names I should be able to exit - be prompted to save as changes had been made - but NO, VP did not note all the path name corrections had been changes, and promptly exited saving nothing.  Disappointed.

To solve this whole mess I have copied all the images from their own folder (where they were originally used from) to the folder in which all the clips were (where VP thought all the images should have been) and all 6 parts now load with no issue.

I am slightly frustrated as to how this could have happened as I have completed many projects using VP.  For this project it has 6 parts done in chronological order and finally a credits part.  Parts 1-5 were corrupt, and part6 and credits were good.  So whatever happened to parts 1 to 5 did not happen to the final episodes, part 6 and credits.  So my frustration is that if it was me, I don't appear to be doing it any more (good) but neither have any clue as to how the corruption occurred (bad).

For now however, life is too short to worry about how something that is no longer happening, happened, until or if it happens again.

Hopefully, unlike Arnold, I won't be back :)