Importing new files slow

Uberprutser

Why does it take so much time to import a few clips into videopad.

Looking at the windows performance tab, it's not the cpu usage, memory or disk.

And it's not generating cache files, because that process start the moment you drag a clip on to the timeline.

So why doesn't it use more computer resources for the import. I have feeling this should go much faster.

Using v8.91

Hi

"....And it's not generating cache files, because that process start the moment you drag a clip on to the timeline...."

Clips are loaded to the cache as soon as they  start loading to the program. This involves indexing the clip, copying the clip and loading the audio

The first to be loaded is the videoFileIndex.cache. As soon as the clip is complete and in the bin with the preview windows  "alive" copies of the video as video.cache and the videoINDEX.cache are generated and loaded to the cache folder.The audio is then loaded to the VideoPadSoundCache...

and this is before the clip is placed on the timeline.    So quite a lot has to be done before you can get to work.  First time around it can be quite slow and depends on the clip format and duration. If you have manually cleared the cache and this includes the VideoSoundCache  folder that is now stored in the VP cache file it can hold things up a lot resulting in the "No sound until loading is complete" message

If the clip has been previously loaded and the cache has remained untouched then loading time is greatly reduced.

Nat

v8.45

I am starting a new project and so I originally cleared the cache as mentioned in other threads: tools->options->disk and click "Clear Unused Cache Files".

I notice that this clears the immediate folder in C:\Users\myNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\VideoPadCache

But within this folder there is another called "VideoPadSoundCache" which doesn't get emptied and seems to contain about a GB of related audio information. Shouldn't this sound cache also be cleared?

Hi

You can clear (manually delete) everything the cache folder even the sound cache folder. It will be regenerated when you start another project.

However tests here show that if you use Option/Disk and delete the unused cache files (and assuming you have closed VP and not retained anything...i.e. you want to completely wipe the cache) then all the files in the cache are deleted including the sound cache files. The sound cache folder remains however but it emptied.

If your sound cache is not being emptied and VP has no open project when you go to Option/disk then there would seem to be a bug with the version you are using or you do have a sound clip open in VP that you have missed.

Nat

Hi

Still. a bit odd.

After finishing with a project the contents of the two caches are as shown....

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

After reopening VP and without loading anything (leaving it empty,) when the Option/Disk/Clear Unused cache files is clicked, the folders are in this state...

ccc.jpg

All VideoPadCache files have been cleared....

dd.jpg

All VideoPadSoundCache files have been cleared and just the VideoPadSoundCache folder (empty) is left. But as mentioned even if this is manually removed it is regenerated when another project is opened.

This is with VP{ version 8.94. It seems there is some discrepancy between versions in this respect.

Nat