Unlinking and moving the audio easily

Uberprutser

I have a short clip in my timeline and I want to use a different section of the background noise.

So basically I want to move the audio to the right in relation the the video.

Is there an easy way to do this without extending the length of the used video?

I think I tried most key combinations, (shift, ctrl, alt)

Hi

Try this..

• Unlink the audio  (1)
  • Grab the audio and move it to the right. This will split the video track create a gap and push everything on the right up the Track.  (2)
  • Close the gap in the video track (3)

1)      aa.jpg

2)     bb.jpg

3)    ccc.jpg

The video track remains split but the audio has now been moved along, Clips to the right have returned to their normal position.

Of course the initial part of the video will not now have any sound but if you want to retain what was there initially you could simply copy the original audio and place it on Audio track 2 and clip it so it fits the silent section. Overlay it a bit with a fade out so it dissolves in. A lot will depend on the type of background sound you have.

Nat

Hi

Unlinking and dragging the audio is bound to create a gap as you are displacing it. (left or right) Once you have closed he gap the displaced part of the audio is covered by the clips to the right moving back. (Image 3)

I only suggested The use of Audio Track 2 if you wanted to put something in the empty space left behind after the audio was dragged along and even then you don't have to use Audio track 2 as you could add some audio to Track 1 trimmed to fit.

Other more complicated ways are possible if you save Audio as a New Clip ; Mute Audio Track 1 and place the copy on Track 2 then do a bit of splitting and reconstruction  with that to produce a completely new audio clip. . but the method suggested is probably the simplest.

Nat

Thanks. Unlinking and moving the audio down, then extending the audio to full length and selecting the part I want to use, then shortening it and placing it back on track 1 worked fine for me. But it would be a nice feature if I could just drag the audio to the left or right while keeping it on track 1.

Hi

Borate's suggestion works fine and is simpler....

"....If you first unlink A/V, then drop the audio clip to the next track it can be dragged without affecting video. ..."

..but it still leaves a section without any sound as it is moved along and it still might require trimming, but you have found a solution that works for you. As I mentioned, dragging the unlinked sound along on Audio Track 1 will create a gap.

Nat

• borate changed the title to Unlinking and moving the audio easily