Clean Install good but carries penalty

Alan R

In the course of tackling a recent issue I was instructed to do a clean install, and all worked as expected.

However the penalty I just discovered is that you lose any custom features you might have developed, like custom effects and templates.

I just done some research and have appended my answers, please correct if I am wrong:

1.  Is that inevitable?  YES it would seem it is :(

2.  where are they saved by VP?  ....users/me/appdata/Roaming/NCH Software/VIdeopad/EffectTemplate

3.  Can they be created/used from a custom location?  (like we dictate where videopadcache lives?)   I would  like to know..

With interest I note earlier projects still retain the effect of the applied templates but not the unique name and collection of effects.

But it would be nice to be able to move where they are stored, so they can be covered by my existing backup system.

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\VideoPad\EffectTemplate"

"C:\Users\<username>\Documents\VideoPad Projects\Templates"

AFAIK, the locations are hard coded.

Even after an uninstall via Control Panel | PROGRAMS AND FEATURES | Videopad | remove data, content in both paths was unaffected here.

I was given slightly more drastic instructions by support, something along the lines of "delete all from this folder and below" completely blowing everything VP knew about.

Deep in trying to cure a problem and excited by thoughts of a solution from the clean install - and away it all went 😢

Now I know.

We can move physical windows to layout where we want, cache where we want to store, would be useful to also be able to move other user resources where we want.  I run extensive backup routines, but steer away from including C drive as I routinely do not store any user files there, all my user folders are on E: system rebuilds do not touch user files has proved very useful in the past.

Thanks.