Video and audio files out of wack, clips in wrong order, random caps in file, and hidden video/audio files under other video/audio files

miogpsrocks

I hope there is some simple thing I'm wrong here because if not there are some very serious problems with this software I can't even begin to describe. 

I have been using this software 16 hours a day for weeks straight and continue to encounter the same problems unresolved. 

It has to do with unlinking the video and video of a file, adding new audio to an existing folder, grouping the video and new audio together, closing gaps in the timeline. 

There is some combination of these will get you into a situation where there is hidden video/audio in the timeline underneath other video/audio.  

You try to highlight a piece of video and the timeline and preview goes haywire and brings you to random spots in the trick( probably where an orphans audio file is hidden underneath) 

Sometimes I can fix certain problem but cutting and repasting the clip in the identical spot to kind of refresh the information. 

I am not talking about the 5 hour video either, I'm talking about a 30 minute video. 

Please tell me that the developers are aware of this issue and are working on a fix or there is something I'm doing wrong. 

I have used the software enough now to know there are extremely design flaws dealing with the placement of clips in the timeline, orphan files, and files underneath other files .

I can't be the only person to encounter these problems unless I am doing more supplicated video editing then the average user on here? 

My hope is someone can tell me I'm doing something wrong and its not a design flaw.

Thanks. 

• borate changed the title to Video and audio files out of wack, clips in wrong order, random caps in file, and hidden video/audio files under other video/audio files

Each time a change is made, observe the timeline closely to see that what occurred is exactly what was intended.  If not, hit <ctrl-Z>.

Dependent upon how clips are laid out, it's certainly possible that inserting to one track affects another.  There may be an underlying sync relationship, for example, that is not readily apparent.  That's when LOCK TRACK can be useful.

Very tough to diagnose your issue without actually seeing the moves being made.  Check out your "new cache..." thread for insight into why not to use <shift> when moving or adding clips.  That can create unintended snippets and displacements that are hard to spot unless the timeline is expanded or, perhaps, switched to Storyboard mode (for track 1 clips only).

I use the timeline not the storyboard mode almost 100% of the time. 

If you are trying to recreate this problem, it happens when you unlink audio from video then start inserting still pictures and linking it up to perhaps a new music track then start to " close gaps"  This type of action can create this whole wacky ghost in the program effect that the picture represented in the story line is not really there even though it shows it. Then you click on it and there is nothing highlighted or you click on it and the cursor goes to some random part of the video. 

Like when you create an episode recap using a montage of clips. 

I have traced at least part of this problem to having overlapping video and audio tracks in multiple layers on the  timeline. Seems like when this happens the software goes nuts and does not know what you are highlighting or does not show the preview correctly. 

I'm not sure if you know photoshop but sometimes you might have a picture with multiple layers on top of layers. I think it's this multiple layers that is causing all these problems.  The workaround that I used last time was to create a new sequence and move the montage project to that side sequence so I can spread everything out and not have random video/audio clips end up hidden behind other vidio/audio on the  timeline. 

I have never experienced these problems with any other video editing software I have ever used.  However to be fair, I have experienced other problems on those software that I have never experienced on Videopad. My preference would be to use videopad for everything but this layering issue causing the bizarre software issue should really addressed one way or another.

Regardless of if it is 

1. Conflict resolution to not allow more then 1 video/audio to occupy the same time and space on the timeline. 

2. Some kind of visual representation showing there are multiple layers stacked 

3.. The ability to select the actual layer you are looking at or choose the layer under it. etc... 

This hidden layer issue is causing a world of problems and frustration. 

miogpsrocks wrote:  it happens when you unlink audio from video then start inserting still pictures and linking it up to perhaps a new music track...

Just to be clear, you can't "link" an independent music track to video, but you can group tracks.  LOCK the video to ensure if working with audio.

I have traced at least part of this problem to having overlapping video and audio tracks in multiple layers...

Since higher video tracks take precedent, PV will depend upon the transparency of those tracks.  For example, say that three tracks contain images that are the same size.  If three tracks and #2 and 3 are transparent, PV will display them all.  But if only track 3 is transparent, PV will show only track two.  Track one will be hidden, since it's not transparent.

Ability to select the actual layer you are looking at or choose the layer under it.

Double-clicking on a track will preview that track.  A track, or several tracks, can also be soloed (icon at its left, with three 'people').  Click it, then click the timeline.

It's unclear what is "hidden", or why clicks don't respond as they normally do.  With multi-layers, some tracks won't be seen unless the track area is scrolled, bringing them into view.

1.jpg

Hi

"....If you are trying to recreate this problem, it happens when you unlink audio from video then start inserting still pictures and linking it up to perhaps a new music track then start to " close gaps"  ...."

This should be pretty basic.

• You have your video clip on Video Track 1 with audio on Audio Track 1 .....
  • bb.jpg
  • Click either track and Unlink  it.
  • If you don't want the audio you can delete it...
  • aa.jpg
  • .......and add a new one........
  • zz.jpg
  • To insert  new still images load them to the clip bin. You have the option to Place on Sequence at Cursor  This inserts the image at its default duration but creates a gap in the audio track which needs to be closed
  • xx.jpg
  • BUT........
  • NOTE:  If you GROUP the new audio to the original Video clip and then try to close the gap the inserted image will be covered up as logically the timeline to the right of the image is still grouped.
  • Once you have closed the gap you can group the clips.....
  • ss.jpg
  • Using this scenario the audio track is necessarily left with a split but you could equally mute it add the new audio on a lower track after all the edits have been made or if you don't like the splits (they shouldn't be audible) you could drop another copy to Audio track 2 and delete audio Track 1 completely as shown here......
  • ww.jpg
  • Your inserted image is complete.

Working in this way, paying attention not grouping before removing gaps you shouldn't get any hidden clips or things out of order. Keep it simple. Don't use too many tracks-that can quickly become confusing particularly as they may not all be visible at one time. Work carefully one step at a time and once you have a section working OK,  Save Project File As giving it a specific name or #. This means you can easily get back to that point without losing anything if you fatally make a cock up later. Another possible option if are happy with a section is to save it as a sequence in the sequence bin.

Nat