VP Pro has been seriously poisoned

Alan R

Up until yesterday life seemed good.  Then I had need to colour match a jpg to a mp4 which had to be done outside VP.  In substituting the matched jpg for the original, VP got seriously confused (partly me probably) and by the time I had sorted it out x264enc7.exe had decided it was process of the month and refused to do anything other than permanently used 90% of my processor.  Shutting down VP was the only cure.

I moved on, but found that process cropped up again with other previously worked on projects.

Completely deleted contents of VideoPadCache assuming some rogue data may have been left.

Now with a nice clean system I started a very simple test project, one clip only.  Loaded with delays as expected, but now dragging the cursor works ok ish forward, but backwards it jumps and judders and processor loaded goes mental (which may either be the cause or the effect).

So what on earth is going on?

Interesting possible clue I just noticed - normally VP takes some time (the first time) to "make the green line above the clip-image on the timeline" until which scrolling is not smooth.  Now when I load a clip (having deleted the cache) the green line appears instantly but scrolling is still far from smooth.  Is there data somewhere else that is being preserved (namely smooth scrolling data) that I have missed.  Clearly the massive %load spike when dragging suggests VP is not using clean smooth data.  Hope that's clear.

Of course if there is somewhere else corrupted data is preserved - this inability for a really clean start may just be ongoing.  I am quite happy to go for a clean start, I have no projects in progress to worry about.

This (suspicion of rogue data being the source of present issues) may also be why the present problems are happening, as I have been running VP pro for over 5 weeks with no issues at all (except my learning curve)

Any ideas appreciated - because until a solution is forthcoming - VP is now unusable.

Alan

Green caching lines will appear over video (not still image) tracks.  There may also be a grey line under the preview window.  Once all are complete, scrolling should be smooth.

Be sure that your video driver and Direct-X are up to date.  https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

Toggle the "use hardware acceleration" box in OPTIONS | EDITING tab to see if there's a performance change.

Please share the project that exhibits this behavoir and someone will check it out.  It's easy, quick and can be private.  Follow these steps...

1.  With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Locate the saved, numbered folder.  No need to upload the export or VPJ files.  Upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*
3.  Get a shared, public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view"  Then click COPY LINK | DONE.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum, and privately message it to me.  It won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks for your input borate

A little more info gleaned in the meantime...

Have been playing some more, and although I got things moving again (not sure what specifically I had done) I can fairly confidently state the problem in all this is x264enc7.exe as the jerky playback mentioned above is due almost entirely to the active presence of this item.  I cannot see why it is running when it is.  It often runs ad-infinitum and well beyond any visible signs of doing something useful, and in fact, just killing the process has no visibly adverse consequences, and does restore smooth scrolling instantly.

When the process is not present scrolling on the timeline is as sweet as ever.

Judging by the many hits typing that process name into Google produces, there's quite a lot wrong with that item and I conclude its not just VP users.

1) whats does x264enc7.exe do?

2) when does it do it?

3) if deemed unnecessary can it be permanently removed without consequences?

4) does deleting VideoPadCache structure remove all cached data VP generates?

5) how does the greenline cached indicator appear instantly for a clip VP has seen earlier, even though the cache has been cleared?  My assumption always having been that caching the timeline produces smooth scrolling and the data for which was held in the cache folders, to save re-chaching next time the project is loaded.

It would seem there are times when x264enc7.exe does appear and fairly promptly disappears, but there are times when it fails to cease and just sits there consuming loads of processor power doing nothing.

I will check those points you raised above Borate just in case they help, and again, thanks for yours.

Alan

x264enc7 related info...

https://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/24359-error-while-trying-to-export-video/?_fromLogin=1

https://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/24552-lossless-mp4-failed-unknown-error-downloads-x264enc7/

AFAIK, if you delete the file it will reinstall as needed by export.

Your assumption on caching is correct.  Clearing Unused Cache Files should delete them all if the program has been restarted, with nothing loaded.  Thereafter, the green line will progress slowly when a project is loaded...unless it's a tiny project.  Then the line may complete quickly.

Install the latest versionFor licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Update:  on reply from NCH I have just performed a clean install and have v8.94 released 24 October and as has been mentioned elsewhere it apparently (according to version guide on NCH site) includes a 64bit build of x264end module.

Gleefully thinking this may solve my issue (x264enc hanging) I was somewhat disappointed.  Interesting fact is Task Manager still thinks this newer version of x264enc is 32bit.

Now waiting NCH reply to this.

Ok thanks - but there must be something that makes it worth NCH to issue a 64bit version of x264enc as their site suggests!!

As for the other idea I just re-loaded a new-ish project (all that  was previously done is load 42 clips/pics and drag all to the timeline, allow time for caching, then saved project) and that took 1m06s to reload to the point I had control, which I do not think is too bad.  I am going to monitor the situation carefully as I would like to have a very precise MO that is repeatable (x264enc taking over for considerable time) for it to make any sense for serious further investigations.

I am also waiting for NCH reply.

Was trying to find a small project to upload that would demonstrate my issues with x264enc and I cannot :mellow:

Then I had a think.

Right now I am unable to find any recent projects that reliably replicate this issue.

Earlier in the week I installed 8.91 and this issue reared its head reliably.

Yesterday I updated to 8.95 and the problem was still present.  As I said I was hopeful at the time that the new release marked a cure as it was released just 2 days after 8.91!

Today I am unable to reproduce this issue.

For not the first time in the many years I have run Windows7, I have occasionally encountered issues that require a reboot to cure/effect/initialise, and yesterday I did not do that (not prompted to) and note that after the overnight switch off, all is well.

Therefore - has the reboot mended/initialised something?  I am hoping it might.

Feel that as I cannot upload a project that demonstrates the issue, it is pretty pointless to hope someone else can see what they don't know exists either.

This does however leave one question as I got close to uploading a project and that is - Whats the difference in Menu items - "Save portable project as..." and "Backup project files to folder" as they both seem to produce the same end result?

Same result, AFAIK, just different language.

Suggest sticking with a stable version that does the job for you and not chase the latest update.  Let it 'simmer' for a month or two to weed out any quirks.

Test unlicensed updates for free when you feel like playing.  The version that you purchased can always be reinstalled.

If you come upon a replicable fault, by all means share the project that exhibits it.