The ridiculous amount of CPU usage in videopad

Uberprutser

Hi

Not going to comment about the CPU usage. But you complain that VP notes your missing files every time you open your project. This is normal..... It will do this every time you delete, rename or move files and then try to open the same vpj file. If you delete files or move or rename files on your PC and don't Save Project  (or Save Project As) the vpj file still has a reference to the moved/deleted/renamed clips and accordingly will prompt for you to resolve these.

Nat

Your doubts are misplaced.  Developers are well aware of how VP functions.  GPU for hardware en/decoding will be used more extensively in the future. 

See  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/how-to-fix-high-cpu-usage.html

and note this quote: "You can expect high CPU utilization when playing some games, running a video-editing or streaming application..."

I will admit that the obs studio software might have slowed down vidiopad slightly.

But you must admit that this is a ridiculous use of CPU cycles. And that, on a project I worked on just before, so I would expect that it had all the cache files needed.

But c’mon, about an hour of high cpu usage after just moving a clip at the end a bit to the right. That’s ridiculous, something is clearly wrong here.

And you don’t want to know how long I needed to wait for the audio to work again, after I had to clear out the vp cache. Because vp was filling up c:\ drive with cache files again. I used the clear unused cache files button in vp, clearly the were no really unused.

More then 3 hours, and that was only on the second half hour of the project. I deleted the 1st half hour with the multi camera scenes. In my opinion there is something wrong here, design wise. Perhaps auto generating dedicated proxy files and placing them in a separate folder underneath the project folder could work better. Just a though :)