All kinds of glitches and I am running out of time

Finfan313

I have been working on my video for days (not my first I have actually done 3 video in the last 4 months besides this one)...and now there are just a ton of issues. When I am adding music it is adding a gap in the video. I close the gap and then the music has a gap. I close that and have been on that merry go round for a while. Now during play back there are clips that show up for a second or two that are NOT on the story board. They were in other areas of the video. So I deleted the clips in that area re added the clips and the same thing, the phantom clip is there. I even deleted the clip from the project altogether and then other phantom clips appear. This video is for my dead nephew and his service is in a few days and I am running out of time. Trying to start over would just be well....you can guess. I have the paid version of 8.55 and updated to 8.91 and it did not help at all. Now on the storyboard there are huge blank areas like clips arent there but they are. Help please!

When adding music, right-click at the left of the video track and LOCK TRACK, so it won't be affected by changes.

Click OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files, just in case the cache has become corrupt.

Of course. Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Then you can restore a project to the state it was in when saved.  Just double-click the VPJ file (which isn't playable).  That's your protection.

Suggest that you install this version.

Be glad to check out your project if you share it privately.  Use the Personal Message envelope at the top-right of this forum.  Just follow these instructions...

1.  With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Locate the saved, numbered folder.  No need to upload the export or VPJ files.  Upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*
3.  Get a shared, public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Click the blue "Change to anyone with the link..."  Then click COPY LINK | DONE.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

So I clicked on that and it doesn't go anywhere but I see something like older version from 05/2020? So I'm not sure if you like that version better? And if there is a way for me to go back? I did the cache clear and now I am seeing glitchy playback, like the transitions are getting stuck? Clips will divide into approximately 3 seconds and 5 seconds ( I have 7.1 seconds on each clip and a 3 second transition). I have a fairly new computer and I am running the latest in windows ...same version from the last two times I made videos. Definitely glitchy then too I just outlasted it and it wasn't this bad. Thank you again. Pamela

The link should now offer version 8.84, which should still be registered.

If playback is jerky, let the project cache fully. The green line above the thumbnails should complete, for video clips.  Image clips do not cache.

Do the inconsistencies that you initially described occur only in the exported file, or are they also apparent on the timeline as you edit?

Ok so I have not exported the project yet at all. I am still editing. But now there are clips all out of order, the transitions are sticking and partially loading or whatever you might call that. I am not sure at all what you mean by letting the project cache fully...born in 1960, I do pretty well with tech but I am not great at knowing exactly what terms mean. I saw the green line above thumb nail comment but I am not sure what that means either.

I do know what a thumbnail is though...I don't know what just happened with my comment so now I am over here. 

Your posts have simply been consolidated for readability;  nothing has been deleted.

What you describe is very unusual, especially with regard to out of order clips on the timeline.

When the green line completes, then the clips have been committed to memory, and editing should not be jerky.

Please get everything in order best you can, then share the project as described above.  Someone will take a look.

Don't forget to Save Project AS, giving it a unique # or name, so older saves are not overwritten.

General principles...

Place clips side-by-side on a single track.  Place text on the next higher track;  it will automatically be superimposed.  Remember that higher tracks take precedence over lower, so if a full-frame image is on track 2 it will cover what's on track one.  If it's made smaller, track one will be seen in the background (picture-in-picture).

When inserting a clip from the (top-left) bin between two existing clips, be sure that the scrubber (red line) is precisely at the cut point between them.

Use these buttons to ensure that this is the case...   1.jpg

A good way of doing this is to right-click the bin clip, then PLACE CLIP ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.  When a clip is inserted at a cut point, all following clips move to the right.

If a clip is inserted within another clip, it will split that clip.  Not doing this correctly can cause strange clip placement.  This can also happen if a clip is dragged on the timeline.  It could end up where it's not wanted.

Switch to Storyboard mode to see clips on track one.  In that mode it's easy to spot unwanted snippets and gaps.  image.png

To close gaps, right-click and CLOSE GAP.

Clips must be long enough to accommodate the transitions between them.  Shorten the transition if necessary.  Otherwise it may not work or do odd things.

When laying down audio, LOCK the video.  The track cannot be edited when locked and it won't be moved.

Anytime you make an error, immediately press <ctrl-Z>  (same as EDIT | UNDO) to backtrack, step-by-step.

Save AS often.  Do not press the SAVE button in the toolbar.  Instead, click the chevron at its right and Save AS, with that unique # or name.

Ok thank you so much for your help. Some of these things I know and have used before. And I think I might have it right for now except...when in timeline view the tracks and music are not expanded so I can edit the music. I have looked in view, expand tracks etc. I think the save as often is a great hint. Thank you again.

Ok so are you saying that a dvd player or a tv that uses my thumb drive would have to be set up for loop play? If that is the case I'm ass u m ing lol that the funeral home will have the type of player to loop. Could I put the project on multiple times in order for it to just start over and over? Thanks, Pamela

If you set up a PC with WMP, MPC-BE or similar player, it can loop the content it retrieves from the thumb drive.

And, yes, the project can be exported, then placed on the VP timeline as many times as desired.  That's the easy way;  It's just a clip then, like any other.

Houston I have a problem. So we took the dvd and thumb drive to the funeral home and neither worked. Apparently the music plays but no videos. And the thumb drive when connected to their computer would not allow files to open. I have searched this topic and it looks like the posts are at least 4 years old. The funeral is tomorrow. I have never had this type of trouble before.

What were your export format settings?  Were you able to play the exported project in Windows Media Player?  Mp4 and AVI, with default settings, may be best.  Is the home's computer a PC or a Mac?

Did you burn a DVD MOVIE disk, as opposed to Data.  Many DVD stand-alone players will not play the latter.  Will it play in your stand-alone player?

Do not copy the VPJ file to anything.  It's an instruction file that tells VP what to do and where to find source files.  It is not playable.

Upload the project and we will check for problems.  Here are those simple steps.  You can link it to me in a Private Message via the envelope at the top of this forum.

1.  With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Locate the saved, numbered folder.  No need to upload the export or VPJ files.  Upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*
3.  Get a shared, public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change 'restricted' to 'anyone with the link can view.'  Then click COPY LINK | DONE.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Ok here it is. It is def a vpj file. It has those initials in front of all my folders. VPJ1.mp4 is what it says. What I did was select export video. I tried it to a dvd, I tried it to the usb and youtube. The only thing that worked was youtube.  Also I have no idea how long sending you the video will take. I thought that after I went through all this stuff that I was done. I am over 40 hours trying to do this video and my nephews service is tomorrow. I am trying to send it the way you said but we will see.

Also as far as I can see the windows media player doesnt do dvd. All I see is audio. Nothing about how to play, upload or burn video.

I sent the link in messages. I hope it can tell you something.