v8.91

Uberprutser

I just upgraded to version 8.91 in the hope it would run a bit faster, but wtf!!!!

why is all the cache files deleted? Now it took like ten minutes to load my edit.

And the timeline was all bank clips and now it will take many hours to regenerate.

This sucks. Can't the developers give us a little warning, maybe  a change log and the effect this will have on your projects ???

This is ridiculous, Did they change the size of the preview files and now everything had to be regenerated??

There's no mandate to update. If a release is working well for you, stick with it.  Licensed users have a six-month free upgrade window. 

Save your project, then test drive newer versions on a trial basis, simply to gauge whether changes/improvements fit your workflow style.

Yes, there are glitches, but most users may never encounter them.  Better GPU utilization is in the offing, as is a 64-bit version (no target date).

8.45 and 8.84 are the most recent stable versions IMO.    And when confirmed, they are fixed.  Beta versions are strictly for testing.

It's been well over an hour and I still can not work on my project as things are still precessing in the background. I will leave my pc running overnight. hopefully tomorrow things will be back to normal. Although I hope for better performance, because my over an hour long project is grinding my computer down :(

It's a defect, already dealt with in an upcoming version.  But do not install beta 8.92 at this time.  Use 8.45 or 8.84 and response should be normal.

The development cycle is continuous, releases appear routinely.  It can take awhile for unexpected behavior to surface.  So it's best to stick with what works for a time.

Long projects can sometimes be managed more easily by breaking them into individual exports, then merging those exports later.  Consider it.

I did not leave the computer running over night. VP closed surprisingly quick last night, even-though it was still busy rebuilding the cache. In the past closing this project has cost minutes to complete.

I just started the program again, and rebuilding has restarted. Around 70-80% cpu usage. One thing that worries me, one clip now sounds like it's played back slow in reverse.

I really hope that will get fixed by the cache rebuild. Because I hate to empty the cache and try again. If the cpu usage dies down, I will watch the whole project (1:10 hours) and check for errors.

-0-0-

I just closed vp again, just to check the closing speed. Again surprisingly quick! They must have done something good. Wish load times would improve so significantly. But maybe they have, it's to early to tell. Currently there is 10GB in the vp cache folder. And that is not a whole lot, compared to the well over 100gb before. And that was mostly from this one project. Regenerating is happening rather slow imho. The audio sounding slow and reverse, problem is still there. I guess a while and check again.... sigh.

-0-0-

I just checked the cache folder again. It's now suddenly up to 46GB. Still a lot of; building preview, please wait, going on. So I will will wait a bit longer before viewing the whole protect. But we are getting there, there are less and less black spots in the time line. The audio problem is still there. ANd the cpu usage is currently at 100, preobably because I was scrolling through the time line. It's ridiculous that a huge program like davince resolve 16 runs better on my under spec pc then the tiny vp. (at least for small projects) And resolve is actually using my old hd for its cache and not the ssd.

-0-0-

Strange I just checked and the vp cache is now counted at 12.8GB in the windows explorer. What's going on here? Is this because the files are in use??

It's been about one and a half hour since I started VP this morning. Cache is still being rebuilt and counted at 16gb at the moment. My audio problem is still there, but the please wait, rebuilding warning is no longer popping up. Strange thing, some clips play fine despite the green progress bar above this clip is still completely back. CPU usage is still around 70%, I guess I will wait a bit longer....

-0-0-

CPU usage just went down, because the fan got quiet. I closed vp to check the cache size, it's now 16.3GB. My audio problem is still there after the restart. I will delete that clip and reinsert it in the timeline, hopefully I can fix that audio problem that way. Because there is probably no option to just rebuild the cache for one clip. By the way, cpu usage is back up after the restart, despite me making no changes. So what the f... is v.p. doing? generating a bit more cache perhaps???? Because some green cache progress bars are still black!

I'm currently watching my 70 minutes project and checking for errors. I actually found some, that were no there before but they might have happened before the 8.91 upgrade.

Looks like I can not trust videopad with unlinked audio! The cpu has been running hot all the time and I did  not make any changes Because of the effect it might have further up in the time line. I'm afraid of more fuck ups.

The chache was up to 18GB at some point, but currently it's down to 15GB. No idea what number I will be ending up with! But less cache after all those cpu cycles, wtf!

-0-0-

At some point the windows explorer was telling me there was 56GB in the vp cache folder. Now its back down to 17.5GB. Really?? what's vp doing?????

At-least closing the program seems to go a bit faster in version 8.91

Now I will try and fix those audio alignment issues I found. Fixing them will hopefully not cause any more issues further up in the timeline.

I like vp, but I'm starting to think it would be better if we had never met. It's not really a productive morning so far!!!!

-0-0- (posted 5 hours ago)

I just deleted the first 3 chapters form the timeline and exported chapter 5 to video. Unfortunately the audio is still f... up. I was not expecting that. The original clip plays fine in vlc and playing the clip from the mediabin is also fine. I would expect vp to use the original files for the export. So how did the audio get f... up, just like in the timeline playback??? I had enough vp for now!!! I'm going to try resolve a bit more. Although that also has its issues. :)

After taking another look the whole clip is playing in reverse. And since you don't need to setup an effect for that, I probably did it myself. Right click and selected play in reverse. Problem solved. I like the improved program closing times. I hope, they now make startup a bit faster :)

Suggestions...

Don't run betas.  Test drive a non-beta update, but to ensure stability wait several weeks before migrating.

Clear cache prior to beginning a new project and export with the version that created it - or one very close.

Lower resolution or AVI/MPEG4 exports may improve results.  Also, splitting lengthy projects into parts, exporting each and merging them for the final. 

When adding comments here, try the EDIT function, and append new revelations - at least on an hourly basis.  This limits excess notifications to thread followers.

Odd how different people have different experiences.

For me 8.91 is very nearly perfect for my purposes, while 8.84 was virtually unusable (due to a particular bug which DID appear in earlier versions very occasionally, but was MUCH more common in 8.84). 8.91 is awesome, and probably the one I will stick with, as it checks all the boxes I need (there is no noticeable delay when splitting tracks as long as the overall track is less than about 65 or 70 minutes [if you get longer than that, it does start to lag, giving a 2 or 3 second delay before you can start playing again after a cut, but I can totally live with that as most of my vids are around the 60-65 minutes range]). The bug in 8.84 I was having was completely fixed (I won't describe it, it's too complicated, but it was very much a huge problem in the prior version which made it almost impossible to edit any sequence that exhibited that bug). Everything else just seems to work perfect, I have nearly no complaints.

Even putting in transitions (which has almost always caused delays when trying to turn on playback) is often nearly instantly ready to play (not always), and even when it's not instant, the delay is usually quite slight (on the order of a second or two before the program can build the preview).

For me, this is the best version you've released in a long time. If I had one very minor quibble, it's that I still get slippage with the audio on export to MP4. It's very consistent, happens to each and every one of my videos. They all slip by about 0.4 seconds (with the audio lagging behind the video). I just have to, after the initial export, pull the MP4 back into VP, disconnect the audio from video, pull it back that half second, and re-export. The re-export does not slip (not sure why, maybe because it's much simpler with no transitions or speed changes or anything like that). I do wish that particular bug would be fixed, and if it was, I would change versions again, but really, it's not that big of a deal, takes me less than 10 minutes to fix a video after export. 

So yeah, for me, 8.91 is great. Funny that for you it's not so much. I know everyone's situation is different. I guess ya just gotta find the version that works for your purposes, and once you find a good one, keep using that.

Yes, one user may not experience another's issue, which may be the result of hardware or the nature of a specific project.

Some reported audio processing issues in certain 8.x versions prior to 8.91, but mp4 export sync has not been cited.  Describe the 8.84 bug and, if possible, share one of your projects that 'slips' audio in 8.91.  Someone will try to replicate the issue.

1.  With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Locate the saved, numbered folder.  No need to upload the export or VPJ files.  Upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*
3.  Get a shared, public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Click the blue "Change to anyone with the link..."  Then click COPY LINK | DONE.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

I did report it. The response I got was "Works here, must be you". You perhaps remember the project I uploaded (was a Batman Arkham Knight video). Nothing has changed since then.

Almost every bug I've mentioned has gotten that same response, so I've given up reporting them. Either they'll get fixed or they won't. Most have (including ones I was told were definitely NOT a bug, heh). Just this one in particular seems to persist, and like I said, I can live with it.

There was a slight sync disconnect in a project some time ago, but do not recall if it was yours.  Share it or another where the issue is evident;  someone will check and if confirmed, get it fixed.  That's the way the product is improved.

Two persistent sync issues - AVI export with H264, and speed changes made with "leave pitch unchanged" have been fixed.

Don’t get me wrong, I like editing in vp.

I just don’t like the way it handles computer resources.

The constant background re-coding is driving me mad!

Close a project and open it again, and it almost feels, and sounds (cpu fan), that all of those cached files have to be re-coded again. It is ridiculous!

What’s also is ridiculous, that a huge and rather complex program, like resolve 16, runs better on my computer then videopad!! (despite not using the ssd for cache or proxy files)

I sincerely hope vp will improve on day, but I will be spending some more time learning to edit in resolve. (I do hope to finish my project in vp)

looks like I was wrong about the vp closing speed.

I save my project a while ago, and I just closed vp. Took at-least 30 seconds to close. It also deleted about 5gb of cached files. So I will probably regenerate them, when I open op my 78 minute project. VP kinda sucks, if you just want to make a few quick changes on a lengthy project.