Copying and modifying text clips

person

Hi,

I'm working on a new video and I've ran into an issue. Usually when I copy and paste text clips, it makes a new one and I can edit that without it changing the previous text clips. However, now when I copy and paste text clips, it seems to not make a new copy in the images tab and it just simply edits not only the new text clip duplicate, but the previous text clips. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks.

Hi

VP 8.84

If you Copy a text clip from the timeline and Paste it on the timeline in a different place, and then update it, the original image in the clip bin is also updated as well as the text clips already placed on the timeline. In effect you are dealing with only one text clip. Note there is still only one text clip in the bin when you do this

If you want a new text clip that is similar to the first and you don't want to rewrite out again, then simply Copy the clip you have already  in the clip bin and then Paste back into the clip bin. This can then be edited without altering the originals as it is a new clip. Note that the clip bin now contains two text clips.

Nat.

Hi,

Thank you for replying. Although this is one possible method, it doesn't keep things such as the fade in and fade out effects, and the time length. Is there any possible way to copy and paste with the effects and time length?

Thanks.

The copied clip will be the same length as the original, of course.  But its length can be changed in the bin, and applied to the timeline.

Though Fade In and Fade Out are shown as EFFECTS choices, they are in reality transitions.  To save an IN/OUT effect use Transparency, like this...

Clipboard01.jpg

Then click the folder icon on the toolbar and give the effect a name.  It will appear as just another icon at the bottom of the EFFECTS window.

Apply it to any clip.

• borate changed the title to Copying and modifying text clips

Hi

One way around this is...

• Create your text clip
  • Delete it from the timeline (As it is normally automatically placed there.
  • Add effects to the text clip in the bin
  • Place the text clip on the timeline..This will have the  the effects
  • Copy the text clip already in the bin back to the bin This will have the effects etc copied as well
  • Alter your text or any effects as required in the copied bin clip and place on the timeline...etc.

Nat