Toggling off snap to grid

DIYMan

Hi all

Quick question and I suspect the answer is no. Is it possible to toggle off/disable the snap to grid other than pressing the Caps key? 

When forming a FX polygon around a moving complex shape i.e. me running across the screen, the snap to grid just gets in the way of accurately positioning the node points.

Regards Dave

Hi @borate

I am still using 6.31 as later versions have the bug that stops imported FX sequences playing properly in the exported version.

Do you know if this has been fixed yet?

I use the caps key to disable the snap to grid because Ilearned of it in a forum post but for the life of me can not find it again, but it does work.

Regards Dave

Never heard of caps being used for a function.  As noted, no snapping action occurs here for masking. The only grid is in the effects animation editor.

image.png

Post a screenshot link.

Timeline snapping, when removing a clip, occurs in some releases.  It can be disabled by holding down the <alt> key.

Does "imported FX sequences not playing properly" refer to your 'flying man' landing displaying black on export?  Yes, that has been fixed.

hi @borate

"Does "imported FX sequences not playing properly" refer to your 'flying man' landing displaying black on export?  Yes, that has been fixed. "

Yes that is what I mean. Thanks for the info.

Sorry my mistake in not making myself clear. The grid I want to disable is in the effects animation editor. As I said above when moving multiple node points to follow a complex curve i.e. a person running the grid stops accurate positioning of the nodes.

Regards Dave

Hi

"....The grid I want to disable is in the effects animation editor. ..."

Snapping to the grid both vertical and horizontal can be enabled/disabled by clicking the vertical/horizontal line icon at bottom right of the editor graph pane. Switching off the grid (removing it) is done by clicking the eye icon at bottom right of the editor graph pane.

aa.jpg

Nat

Thank you @Nationalsolo and @borate

I did look for this information in the help section but could not find it. This is only a minor complaint but I find the instructions to this software reminiscent of the early computer/software instructions which told you what the machine/software would do but little help as to how to do it.  Always got the impression that the writers expected the users to be as clued up as they where, not some struggling bricklayer like me.

Regards Dave

Thank you @borate

I already have the pdf help file on my PC. I have just reperformed the following searches "disable", "grid", "animation" and "animation grid", which I did before opening this post. I have also reread the effect masking section. I found no mention that a snap to grid exists nor how to turn it off, and as an aside no mention that it is critically important not to add or delete node points when using the effects animation editor.

Please do not think that I am completely dissatisfied with VP, I am not. It does all and more than I could want at the moment, and the help I have received through this forum and directly from VP technicians has been the best.

Regards Dave

• 9 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 12:12 AM, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

"....The grid I want to disable is in the effects animation editor. ..."

Snapping to the grid both vertical and horizontal can be enabled/disabled by clicking the vertical/horizontal line icon at bottom right of the editor graph pane. Switching off the grid (removing it) is done by clicking the eye icon at bottom right of the editor graph pane.

aa.jpg

Nat

Hi Nat,

The grid snapping really bothers me. The "enable" and "disable" as per your post, has no effect. It there a "hold" key that can temporarily disable the snapping? 
I am referring to the grid in clip preview window when I want to adjust a zoom or crop window.

St B

New and better info...

Turn off the preview grid window with this button on the toolbar...   1.jpg

No snap.  With the grid on, you can move the entire effect without a snap by dragging the crosshatch that appears when the pointer is in the PV window.

Well well, ain't that just wonderful! I never made that connection.

Must say I love the grid's centre line to help me pan horizontally to avoid going up and down accidentally, but then the jerky snapping messes up.

Thank you very much Borate.

St B