Audio speed change & keyframing

Dallan

v 8.84

When I apply audio effects they work, but when I click the FX button afterwards the list of audio effects is empty, as if there are no audio effects even though there are.This is in contradiction to the video effects which are listed under FX and can be edited after the initial creation. Audio effects get applied but I can't edit them afterwards. 

Furthermore, when using the fade-out effect the volume level curve which shows the drop off overtop the audio wave is not correct. It shows the fade-out (volume drop) in the middle of the clip, but the actual sound fade out as I intended is near the end.

Are these bugs?

• Dallan changed the title to Audio Effects Bugs?

Have never seen a report of a configured audio effect not being shown when the FX button is later pressed.  Just tested it here in v8.84 and it works correctly.  You certain that the white X in the effect header hasn't been inadvertently clicked, which would cancel the effect?  Try a reinstall.

For the Fade Out, first move the scrubber (red cursor) to the desired start position for the fade.  Then apply the effect, using "to the end of effect from the cursor position."  The Fade Out effect won't be shown in the audio effects box - it's actually a transition.  Right-clicking on the audio track lists several fade options.

What you get should look like this...   image.png

After applying, for example, a fade-out effect, I can hear that the audio changes and fades as I intended. So it would seem the effect isn't being cancelled, as the audio is affected. But when I click the FX button afterwards on the audio clip the list of effects is still empty.  But as you said, fade-out is a transition and so shouldn't show up. I tried an echo effect and it did show up in the list of effects. It is strange that the fade-out is not considered an effect though it shows up in the list of effects (the same place as echo) to choose from. But since the fade-out transition doesn't show-up in the effects list to modify after the fact, it seems I am unable to modify it by dragging keyframes etc...so if I want to change, say, where it starts to fade out. Would I have to remove the fade-out and start again? If so, it would be nice if all the choices under effects would be registered as such so as to more easily change them afterwards.

Even stranger, when I select "From the end of the clip to the cursor position," it correctly fades from the cursor to the end of the clip when I listen to it. When I check the clip preview for the audio it shows the superimposed volume level slant down at the correct position (dark blue line like in your screenshot). But the audio curve which gets superimposed on top of the audio track itself shows the drop somewhere in the middle of the audio wave instead of at the end where the sound actually fades out. Is this correct?

To change an audio fade after using Fade Out, double-click the audio track.  The clip waveform will appear in preview.  Drag the square (keyframe) to the desired position.  You can create new keyframes by dragging the blue line.  To delete a keyframe, right-click on it.

Not clear on your "even stranger" query.  Please post a link to a screenshot to illustrate the audio curve that gets superimposed atop the track.

Upload your screenshot to a free server, get a shareable (public link) and paste it here.

When I double click the audio track the clip preview shows the fade-out curve, along with the keyframes. When I move the mouse over the key frames it shows the position and gain, but does not let me drag or insert new keyframes.

Here is a screenshot of the fade-out curve. On the audiotrack the fade-out curve drops before 3s, but in the clip preview the fade-out starts (correctly) around 3.5 seconds until the end of the clip. See here: Screenshot. There seems to be discrepancy between the clip preview fade-out curve and the one in the audio track.

The apparent discrepancy is likely due to the difference in expansion of the preview and timeline waveform displays.  Note the time between the PV keyframes.  It is the same as that on the timeline.  You should definitely be able to drag the keyframes. 

Why the Audio 1 track slope is in the middle of the waveform in your image is unclear.  It doesn't do that here, in version 8.84.

Ok. I see one confusion I had. For the cursor position in the clip preview, that cursor time stamp position is relative to the clip's relative starting point rather than the absolute starting point of 0s in the audio track. The 0s point in the clip preview is not 0s in the audio track.

For the second point: using the clip preview, I am able to now create and move keyframes, but with problems. When I click to add a keyframe, the keyframe is created always with a right offset from my cursor, never where I actually click. Here is a video.

Using v8.84, that 'offsetting' isn't happening here.  As the above video illustrates, it's dead-on where clicked.  Try a reinstall.  Or test this version.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

When you trim (START / END buttons) a clip in clip preview mode, then use the ADD button to place it on the timeline, only the section that is left untrimmed will be shown there.

In the video I posted, at 55s when I click, the keyframe is not created at the point of the hand cursor in the clip preview, but to the right of it. I installed the newer version and you provided and the same happens. Sometimes they keyframe is created further to the right than others.

That behavior is strange and has never before been reported.  Please share the project, so others can check it out.  The process isn't difficult, takes mere minutes and can be private.  Just follow these four steps...

1.  With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Locate the saved, numbered folder - not the  export file or only the VPJ.  Upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*
3.  Get a shared, public link. If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Click the blue "Change to anyone with the link..."  Then click COPY LINK | DONE.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Ok. Here is the project file. Note that for the audio I did two things: I trimmed some of it, and I also changed the speed of it. 

Just out of curiosity I tried to import the same audio file into a project without modifying the audio, and the keyframe placement and creation worked FINE. Then I sped up the audio with the Speed Change audio effect, and guess what? After applying the speed change, I tried the keyframes and now they were all offset. So I think there is a bug in relation to the Speed Change audio effect.

Here's how.  Copy <ctrl-C> or drag the clip (from the bin) to a new, blank sequence by clicking the + sign on the Sequence 1 tab.

Speed it up.  Export Sequence 2.

Import the exported clip, replace it to the Sequence 1 timeline and then apply the audio keyframes.

https://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/32788-audio-node-weird-after-changing-audio-clip-speed/?tab=comments#comment-88511

• borate changed the title to Audio speed change & keyframing (Audio Effects Bugs?)
  • borate changed the title to Audio speed change & keyframing