HELP! Image stabilization crashing after 3 times!

Russ Croucher

I thought this was a number of processor processes with image stabilization but now I realize it is not.  I'm having a problem on one of my fast computers with the image stabilization process of VideoPad version 8.84 crashing after about 4 video files.  I have exactly 2 computer workstations with the same configuration here it is:

They both have a PCI based SSD that produce about 1.3 GB/s transfer rate, 32 GB of RAM, 3.5 GHz XEON, and 512 GB C Drive SSD SATA..  The only exception is one of them has 1 TB SSD and the other one is only 512 GB.  I am migrating to the 1 TB PCI SSD size.  So I have configured VideoPad put all its temporary files on this fast SSD.  I also have it store the temporary image stabilization files on the same SSD.

So this new workstation receives all the customers files and I load up VideoPad and start the image stabilize on the all the files as a group (ctrl-A).  From prior testing I know this will take one hour per video hour to stabilize all files.  Then once the image stabilization is completed, I steal all the image stabilize files in the temporary directory.

However, now for my problem.  My 2nd new workstation which receives these files from the same customer crashes after about 4 image stabilizations.  I know this because I have 3 completed image stabilization temporary files.  So somewhere in the 4th stabilization it crashes.  So I'm able to take 3 the the files and consider those completed.  I restart the image stabilization on that computer minus the 3 that I started and it works again and crashes after 4 files.  It has done this many times.  So I'm trying to figure out what is different between these 2 machines.

I originally thought it was a number of processes because I did determine that hyperthreading was turned on on the 2nd computer I turned it off and the problem still occurs.  So I have a project that has exactly 4 files 640x480 that I want to image stabilize and it crashes on the last file (visuals studio crash).  Sometimes it has crashed with plug-in crashing.  But this particular project crashes with the Visual Studio issue.  So I took this exact same project (with the 4 data MP4 files) and put them on the first workstation and it works to completion without crashing v8.55.  Both computers were using VideoPad version 8.55. I updated the one that's been crashing with the latest version to 8.84 and still crashes on the 4th image stabilization.

I'd like to download a debug version so she can find out what the problem is can you help me?  It sounds like a memory issue but I don't know.  Every time I restarted it seems to work a little farther after I kill the temporary directory.

These are using the same software with the exception of new licenses with your software.  All drivers are up-to-date.  I will be more than happy to use the debug version to help figure out what the problem is.  I have not tried version 8.84 on the unit that works all the time.  However it worked fine with 8.55.  That particular unit has crashed with the plug-in error after 3 times.  However, this particular version with the project file bombs on the 4th time to a Visual Studio error.  Then when I rerun VideoPad it said did it crash?  It seems like the Visual Studio crash the software treated differently than if a plug-in crashes.

You guys think I should download the beta version and it would give me debug information that would help you guys figure out what the problem is?  I know this particular computer crashes sometimes based on the plug-in image stabilization and sometimes based on the Visual Studio error.  If at the plug-in crash program does not crash it just says your plug-in did.  When I get the Visual Studio crash it actually says do you want to send a bug report but I have no problem download the debug version and giving you the log file again may we can figure something out.

I don't think you guys understand my problem.  It's not a stabilization problem it's a computer problem possibly a memory leak.  I have 4 files that I want to stabilize, I load the 4 files into one computer and save the project on that computer.  I start the stabilization on all 4 files and on the 4th file the VideoPad crashes.  In the temporary directory of VideoPad are 3 completed image stabilize files.  Since it crashed on the 4th stabilization I do not have that file.  I then take the exact same project with the exact same files to a different computer with the exact same hardware and it works fine.  All 4 files are stabilized and put in the temporary directory.  So I'm trying to figure out what is different about this computer. They were all running v8.55.  I have also have also tried with the latest version of v8.84.

If you look at my first post you'll see the the credentials of this workstation.  My next solution will be to create an image file with the "Aronos" of the C Drive of that workstation and load the new workstation with that image.  And see what that does.  Now I would like to get the debug version and run the same thing on this computer to see if that will give you any information about the problem.  It appears to be some type of memory leak or something like that.

Your issue is fully understood.  Requesting your files to see if stabilization fails here is an effort to sleuth the cause.

Please understand that folks in this forum, with rare exception, do not work or speak for NCH. 

To request a debug version the official support channel may be your best bet...     https://tinyurl.com/r89tpcw

If you received a debug version in the past, contact the party who supplied it.

I believe I figured out the problem.  There is one additional difference between the 2 computers which I'm now testing but will take 4 more hours.  The computer that's been failing after 4 image stabilization's has a card in it that I'm not using right now but may be causing some problems to VideoPad.  It is an "Matrox VIO" analog capture card.  It is a professional image capture card using analog which is what I use for all analog conversions.  It has a VGA port on it that I am not using.  They use these cards to do analog image capture up to 1280x1080 analog.  These are use in medical imaging.  Matrox no longer sells these analog cards since they have transition to all digital.  However, I use these for my analog conversions.  You can actually write code that will will do MP4 on the card.  So it makes the little dongle that NCH sells with debut look like child's play (I have one).

So now I am currently testing VideoPad with those exact same 4 files image stabilization without that Matrox card.  If it works to completion that will show that there must be some type of problem using this image stabilization with a Matrox card installed.  I will respond to this thread when the test completes.

Okay officially I have rerun the program without the Matrox card in the computer and it just crashed with the Visual Studio error.  I don't know how to include a PNG file but I have a copy of the error.  I also have the 4 files I was trying to image stabilized that it crashed with all versions including 8.84.  I know how to submit a bug with an upload but I don't know how to submit a bug with 4 uploads.  Maybe you guys can help me

-0-0-

I just wanted to say with the other computer workstation having the same hardware I just image stabilized 36 files in one project taking 31 hours of video which took nearly 2 days to complete.  I had absolutely no problem with that computer executing VideoPad.  So I would like to figure out what is different about this machine.

• borate changed the title to HELP! Image stabilization crashing after 3 times!