Re-caching

Oculas

If the cache hasn't been cleared, the previous project should load very quickly, as confirmed by a test with a 20-minute video here.

Initial load took a few minutes.  After VP was closed and the project reopened, the cache was full instantly.

What version of VP is being used?

Hi

To check what version you are using you can refer to the details on the opening Splash screen or if you miss that then look at the bottom left of the main VP window....

aa.jpg

Re. Cache.   Provided you don't empty the cache when you finish a session,  loading it back from your vpj file so you can continue to work on it is very quick as the files are already present.

If you have emptied the cache after a  work session and you load it back later, VP has to read the vpj file, find the clips referred to on the PC and reload them to the cache before you can continue. This can cause quite a delay with a big project. Advice would be never to empty the cache until all work on the project is complete.

Nat

Ok

I will do a fresh install of VP

And try again. I won't change any default settings. At this point it should work properly. 

Correct?

Reason for this reply is I may have changed things in the VP settings and can't back track what I did .

Thanks again!

Hi

A reinstall shouldn't be necessary as emptying the cache is not a setting- it's an option you have . Once emptied (by you) however it's gone. All you can do is reload your saved vpj file (You did save one?) and wait for VP to refill the cache. Remember  not to empty it again until you complete your project.

Nat

Hi

If the cache has been emptied it won't load instantly from the vpj file. A lot depends on the length of the project and the number and format of the clips and the editing but it will be longer than from a cache that has the files already there.

A test here with an old (slow) Vista machine and starting with an empty cache, fully loaded a 30 minute project with 91 HD clips into VP in 14 minutes 12 seconds. The CPU ran at around 55% The cache was 217 GB and held 546 Video files and 273 sound files.

Saving this as a vpj file and then reloading VP, the VPJ file loaded the project fully in .. 38 seconds

The cache was now emptied of all files...

The project was loaded fully back again using the vpj file...This time it took  13 minutes 36 seconds   with the CPU running around 65%

Obviously keeping the cache full is pretty beneficial!

Nat

Hi again,

Now that I have understood how the cache works, editing is Excellent. 

I have above 7 for the VP versions and will upgrade

Every time since This VP works great.

Just a few questions...

I have a very old PC and it's due for an upgrade. I want to base the PC upgrade around Videopad needs.

I have no budget, I just want to get the most compatible parts to fully use Videopad.  My editing varies from the lowest end to whatever Videopad can handle in high end. So I'm looking for the best sweetspot Configuration for maximum speed on videopad. I just don't want to build my pc with expensive parts and then find out I didn't get the best parts for Videopad. 

Please recommend a pc build that can handle everything Videopad can throw at it plus some.

There's no one answer, but as video editing is resource intensive a game-class PC is often recommended.  Check this out and search the WEB for similar articles.  Consider a custom build, by a qualified high-end shop.

You may see a speed improvement immediately.  And when Videopad 64-bit arrives (no target date), handling of complex projects, huge files and ultra-high resolutions will be enhanced, to take even better advantage of your new hardware.

Yes I've seen this website and many others. I will review again to understand more.

Is there a direction you can point me in for at least the CPU and GPU?

I'm not Gaming at all.

I've read too many controversy articles mention too many diffrences between software for video editing. 

Is VP both GPU and CPU INTENSIVE? Am I looking for Single core performance?

All the builds and parts are very similar but none explain allot about VP. Just premiere and davinci mostly.

Intel I7 late generation or comparable.  NVidia 1060 or above.  In the future expect VP to better utilize GPU for effects. 

A knowledgeable builder can be especially helpful in choosing appropriate, quality hardware for your 'sweet spot.'  No need to break the bank.

Hardware recommendations for the more complex and costly NLEs you mention apply to VP and editing in general.