Gaps appearing in the timeline

Uberprutser

I added and edited a new clip near the binning of a project. And now I see a couple of spontaneous gaps further on in the project :( I did group together certain clips/spliys in the hope behaviour like this could be avoided, but it happened, again. I'm beginning to think vp isn't as professional as they like us to believe. This will probably take hours to fix. Sigh.

I guess I need to tread vp as a linear editing tool, work from left to the right, one clip at the time.

No mistake should take hours to fix.  Immediately press <ctrl-Z> (EDIT | UNDO) to backtrack, step-by-step.  Of course. Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Then you can restore a project to the state it was in when saved.  Just double-click the VPJ file (which isn't playable).

If a clip is added to the head of a series of clips (with no gaps) those clips will be pushed to the right.  No gaps will be created.  You may have inadvertently created those gaps.

In this demo the 'smile' was added to the head of three stills.  Though it may appear that there are gaps, that's just the nature of the thumbnail display.  Switch to Storyboard mode, where true gaps are easily seen.

• borate changed the title to Gaps appearing in the timeline

Look in the folder containing the source files and VPJ control files.  VP often creates back ups, and one of those may save you.

Most of your queries stem from inexperience with the program which, while not perfect, works well for the most part.  And is a great value for those who use it for free.

Improvements are continuous.  Competitors are numerous.  It's your choice.

Hi

Sorry you have lost all your work:( and although it's a case shutting the door after the horse has bolted...the advice is always do regular Save Project As  ... You can always restore your project if you make a big cock-up. Give each a recognizable name and you should be able to go back to a point near the error.

Nat