Absolute and relative file paths (feature request)

Uberprutser

I like to store my videopad project in the same folder as the raw video footage.

But when I move everything to another and slower drive it stops working because videopad no longer can find the needed files.

So I would like to have the option to use relative paths instead of absolute paths.

Or an option to change the paths that is a little easier then editing the project file in notepad.

I tried that feature but it doesn't copy files I did not end up using. Also The folder structure I used for video, pictures and sounds is not copied. But I can see this is usefull feature. Wish videopad would just always save a project using relative paths, so I can move things around more freely.

That won't be of use for project related files that can not be opened in videopad, like a text file. Always using relative paths in the videopad project files should not be a hard feature to implement as the backup option already seems to do that. For now I Just copy the files manually to my slower backup drive and edit the project file using notepad if needed.

Here, when a folder containing used and unused project files plus the VPJ control file is moved, VP has no trouble finding the files.  Moving the VP project folder into your raw footage folder, as a subfolder, should not disturb the paths.

In several tests, even when the VP folder was moved as a subfolder to a different drive, invoking the VPJ in that folder found all the files.

Before making a move, SAVE PROJECT FILE AS, giving it a unique # or name, so as to not overwrite earlier saves.  Then the pointers should be up to date.

https://www.nch.com.au/suggestions/index.html?software=VideoPad&version=8.77