The Slow zoom in effect

Alan R

I'm a newby exploring this editor

I have found out how to create (on a still) the slow zoom-in effect but its all a bit fiddly.  Does anyone know if there is a better quicker neater way of achieving this effect?

Like a preset?  Or custom features?

Hi

You can control the duration of the Zoom effect by altering the time between the start point and the end point of the effect. Obviously the effect can last no longer than the length of the clip it is applied to.

Video clips cannot be made longer so for a particular clip the zoom speed cannot be slowed down (decreased) more than than this duration. If you want a slower zoom then you would need to make the clip longer either by shooting a longer clip in the first place or by changing the speed of the clip so it lasts longer. (Setting values of less than 100%)

If you use an Image clip  then the duration, which is set by default in Options/Media ,  can be made effectively as long as you like although this value will be global for all image clips. If you don't want to reset the default value you can simple drag the end of the Image clip along the timeline to the right or use Storyboard mode to enter a specific value for the clip in question..

The start and finish points for the zoom effect in a clip are, (or can be) set by using keyframes, the zoom level  being set for each keyframe. The shorter the interval between start and end the faster the zoom.

Pan and Zoom act on the whole clip and consists of setting the first frame position in clip preview and then the final zoom position in clip preview. As mentioned the speed will depend on the duration of the clip. The longer the clip, the slower the zoom/pan.

Once you have set a zoom effect that you like and are going to use repeatedly it can be saved to the effects list by clicking the blue cassette tab and providing a suitable name. Once this has been done your new zoom effect can be added to your clips like any other effect.

Nat

With two Einsteins on the job - success was almost guaranteed!!!

Well done and thanks to both of you, I now know how and what Pan & Zoom is all about.  Still learning every day as I get to know this editor.

Then Nats closing statement was the icing on the cake - that's exactly what I was after - a nice slow almost imperceptible zoom in for simply the whole of the still, and best of all - able to save it for repeated use.  Brilliant.    Exactly what I was after.

Thank you both very much :D👍