Can't load mp4 file into VPE ver 8.77

italiangen

• borate changed the title to Can't load mp4 file into VPE ver 8.77

Under OPTIONS | DISK tab Clear Unused Cache Files.  Restart the program and try the mp4 load once again.

Use the latest version, if possible. For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Hi Borate,  I'm on a licensed version and I uploaded the latest version today.  Cache is cleared.  Same result.

Just saw that my license started Feb26 2020.  So I'm 9 days over the 6months.  I don't think I saved the install files but I have the registration email code.  How should I proceed?  Peterd

If the current version will accept your code, Click the Menu item at the top-left and scroll down to re-register.

If not, suggest that you install and run this stable version, which was released within your grace period, so registration should succeed.  Ignore any virus warnings.

Licensing status has nothing t do with the mp4 issue.  Let's see that file.  Upload it to a free server, get a shareable link and post it here or in a private message (click the folder at the top-right of this window).  Someone will check it out.

If uploading to Google Drive, click Get Shareable Link, then change the 'restricted' status to Anyone Can View.

Can't replicate that here.  Tested on two PCs with different VP versions.  The file loaded normally.

Using Windows Explorer (the file manager), right-click on the C:\ drive and click PROPERTIES.  Then click on DISK CLEANUP.

Uncheck any items you don't want cleared, but leave the Temporary Files item checked.  Then click on OK.  How much space is available on that drive?

Try another PC, if possible.

Hi

Your mp4  downloaded OK and loaded OK into VP 8.77

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500@ 2.2GHz, 2.0 GB RAM
NVIDEA GeForce GT 730.

(...so nothing super.)

From an empty cache the project loaded to timeline (eventually) with no particular hitches. A 90 min 1920 x 1080 clip takes a bit of time to load first time around.  (This took around 45 mins to cache fully   (around 30 seconds /min...CPU working around 91 -95%))

Once in the cache the project re-loaded into a re-opened VP from scratch in a second. (almost immediately)

Project loaded into VP from a vpj file in about a couple of seconds.

This played fine in VP 8.77 in an expanded sequence preview screen. There were no glitches or "building Preview" messages even when the timeline was jumped from place to place with the red cursor line in sequence preview.

The project exported as a 1920 x 1080 mp4  HD Default quality @38fps, and did this in 2mins 39 seconds.

Can't see anything wrong with this mp4.

Nat

Borate,   The test version 7.51 loaded the test.avi just fine.  How should I proceed?  Do I now have two versions of VPE on my system?  Should I keep the 7.51 and just update it with the newer version 8.77?

As for the clearing the cache, it was the local\temp\  and the message was "No cache files were deleted. Either some cache files are still in use or there were no cache files to delete."

PeterD

Only one version can be installed at a time.  WHY only you have experienced this is a mystery, but it will be investigated. 

If v8.77 didn't succeed for you earlier it likely won't now...it will replace 7.51 which, for the moment, may be your best bet.

You can also test this newer version 8.63, which has proven stable.

What are the specifications of your PC - CPU, GPU, amount of RAM?

I just tried to load the 8.63 and it failed in the same way.  If it helps, does you team want to remote in?

I reinstalled 7.51 and got the error message; "There was an error loading one or more of the effects or transitions icons.  Please reinstall.....  but just clicked ok and loaded the Test.avi file and it loaded correctly.

Just a user here, as are most who participate in this forum.  NCH folks would be the ones to decide on further action.

There can be minor compatibility issues between versions, which may be the cause of the error.  It's best to export with the version, or near the version, that created the project.

One thing more to check is that your video driver and Direct-X are up to date, though it's doubtful that this is relevant.

https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

And under OPTIONS | EDITING tab toggle this item ON or OFF to see whether that helps.  "Use Hardware Accelerated Graphics"   Grasping at straws.

Thank you very much Borate!  You keep coming thru for me.  May I mention a few points.

1. This was a video file from Zoom

2. Could a virus be the cause?  I'm running Windows Security only and keep things updated.

3.  I'm going to assume that these issues are caused by my computer somehow.  What tests or tools would you recommend I use to research or verify that my computer is working properly?

I hope I'm not asking to much.

Regards,

Peter

A virus?  Doubtful, as it loads normally in version 7.51.

And beyond clearing VP cache, W10 temp files and keeping virus definitions up to date, no further thoughts on what on the PC could affect loading of this file.

What about those other files - of varying lengths and formats.  Do they load in v8.63 or v8.77?

Thanks Borate for all your help.  I'll stay with 7.51 for the moment.  I'd like to get a more recent version that has fixes and upgrade functionally.  I remember that there was a listing of older versions of VP software that I could try but I can't seem to find the URL that allows me to install an older version.  Do you think there is much to gain if I work my way thru the list between 7.51 and 8.6?

NationalSolo, I deleted the Components folder and reinstalled and it did not work.  I looked for the folder and it did not reinstall.  What is the impact?

Regards, Peter D