Is this reasonable

Alan R

New to videopad, I am comparing it with my present editor and especially at reload performance.  I understand about cache files and have already placed mine somewhere harmless, as opposed to filling what space I have left on my C drive.   My present project consists of 196 clips and 170 pics.. Ran VP and dragged over 196 clips, took ages to digest, then added 170 pics, pulled whole lot to timeline and eventually all were processed and performance was sweet.

If I were to remove all cache files - I assume reloading the project would take a similar time to the initial experience.

When I leave all cache intact - the reload time is around 5 minutes.  Does this performance sound reasonable?

In all other respects VP is [proving to be a really interesting beast.

TIA  Alan.

Reasonable, depending upon the length and resolution of the content.  Your assumption is correct:  if cache is deleted, the load will begin anew.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Then you can restore a project to the state it was in when saved.  Just double-click the VPJ file (which isn't playable).

Thank you.

As I get to know VP more and more, the better it looks..

One other question - I am running the free non-commercial version, and from the number of video/audio tracks I can create >2 this looks like the pro version???

Is this licence everlasting, or will I get the eventual, now it needs paying for ultimatum?

Does this still apply even if my use will never be anything other than non commercial?

Thanks again for your help.

The unlicensed version is a trial.  Expect the usual requests to buy.  Some effects, features, export formats won't be available. AVI export usually succeeds.

If there comes a time when no export formats are available - perhaps an ultimatum - uninstalling via Control Panel | ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS may give the option to downgrade to the 'free' version.  VP basic functions will continue to function indefinitely.

While you can always test drive the latest without charge, it's best to license the program.  Updates are free for up to six-months from date of purchase.  The program is under continuous development.  Occasional glitches are quickly addressed, and folks in this forum are helpful.

Slightly better than Prism, that lacked basic functions right from the start.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated, see myself heading for purchase.

Is there a definitive list of whats missing from the "home" version apart from No Plug-ins and max 2 audio tracks?

Or is that it, just those 2, and everything else is as per Master(Pro) version?

Thanks again.

Haven't spotted any specifics on that.  At the start of the trial more tracks and certain features may be available for a time.

For the YouTube, home video, gamer demo crowd, VP is a full-featured and versatile NLE.  Give it a workout before purchase to be certain that it does what YOU need.

Disagree there Borate -  and it looks like you're misleading readers here. Videopad is definitely not for the "Youtube crowd" at all. Using VP versions through v8 and spending cash on it for quite some time hoping to fix bugs, VP is not professional software at all nor is it ever stable. For serious Youtubers, including many professionals relying on revenue and subscribers (I should add), VP is way behind the curve in terms of what it can do. Consider this, hardware acceleration only works with specific hardware, otherwise there's no effect. Each release is the same old same old and playback preview is problematic in VP when other software lets you drop down the preview resolution. And Videopad's effects are getting old and tired. It's really not for the progressive Youtube crowd at all but it may work for its newbies. You get what you pay for and without doubt it's a very good learning tool, but you seem to be defending the indefensible.

Hi

This seems to be your first post here so welcome! As you are apparently a seasoned user, constructive criticism is always useful and the developers of the software are always open to suggestions.

In general VP does all I want it to...I'm not a professional; just a keen amateur with modest equipment. In fact I'm not sure what a professional would want. Some editing suites that I have seen are pretty sophisticated but don't come in the same  price range as VP which is, let's face it; pretty good.

"......VP is way behind the curve in terms of what it can do......."

Please put forward suggestions .. What would you like it to do that it doesn't already do?

"......Each release is the same old same old and playback preview is problematic in VP when other software lets you drop down the preview resolution......."

Previous versions did allow one to set the preview resolution but as I understand it, allowing this, caused difficulties in the way clips were processed for preview.  This was overcome by eventually fixing the preview resolution at an intermediate value. The higher resolution clips used today and the project sizes being created  means that that limitations are becoming more evident. Each release has to start somewhere of course and this is usually the previous version. If it was rewritten totally each time a release was made then it would very quickly become  incompatible with previously created projects. Even so this must inevitably happen at some point particularly when one takes into account the specs of currently produced videos and the different systems used....big formats and very long (sometimes very very  long) projects using multiple tracks.   Granted there are bugs that inevitably creep in with some revisions but once found and reported they are corrected as soon as possible and often this forum is where these are reported.  I am sure NCH think carefully about the impact some changes will have but changes have to be made from time to time that make previous versions obsolete.  Just think about Windows as an example....

"..........Videopad's effects are getting old and tired........."

How can an effect, like fade or Zoom etc. become old and tired?  They are basic requirements of any editing software. Where do you feel they are not up to scratch? How would like to see them revamped?  Suggest some new ones.

Nat

A couple of points

Effects getting tired???

I try and make videos that engage the viewer by their content, not by fancy distracting eye-catching effects.  They are a reflection of my skills (I hope) in what I capture and edit, not a show for how clever I am using modern feature rich editors.

Try studying a good professional documentary - you will generally see only 2 effects, cross fade and instant cut into a new clip or out of an old one.  That immediately makes virtually all VP effects redundant - so making no point in producing loads more.

When there are bugs - I want them fixed.

When there are new algorithms that improve performance - I want them.

What i don't want is overloaded s/w struggling to perform, bogged down by unnecessary bells and whistles - and I hope VP never becomes so.  I have just abandoned an editor for those reasons, they'll be making no more money from me!!

But like Nat I am not professional - nor try to be - but I do enjoy a responsive editor that makes editing fun and smooth flowing - which VP does fairly well for the price.  I have no doubt better equipment, better PC (or workstation maybe) and a larger bank balance would enable me to get a more professional editor etc etc etc.  But this is my hobby not my career, it makes me no money and so stays at the hobby level.

Rant over :)

Sorry - I think there may be more than a couple of points!

Hi AlanR

I agree with your sentiments entirely.

".....Try studying a good professional documentary - you will generally see only 2 effects, cross fade and instant cut into a new clip or out of an old one.  That immediately makes virtually all VP effects redundant - so making no point in producing loads more. ...."

Exactly!...But on the the other hand a good selection of effects/transitions can always be useful for some users and even though they might be there it doesn't mean you have to use them.

".......When there are bugs - I want them fixed.

When there are new algorithms that improve performance - I want them.

What i don't want is overloaded s/w struggling to perform, bogged down by unnecessary bells and whistles -..."

I think this is something all users wish for and I am sure NCH also. For the most part bugs are fixed but often means downloading a later version of the program. It is only by contributing to the forum and reporting problems that the software can develop. NCH are continually revising ways that processes like threading and cache storing and retrieval are made more efficient. VP does a lot but, as I mentioned many of today's users are producing projects that are.. to put it bluntly pushing even the current film editing capabilities to the limit.  My orchestra recently produced a prize winning multi screen compilation, not being able to meet due to Covid restrictions. This used  at one point a 10 x 10 matrix with all orchestra members in their own box with effects over the general screen. This, along with the merged and treated sound tracks was done on a professional system that cost ..(well-a lot!)  VP manages 5 x 5 multiscreen at a fraction of the cost and even 10 x 10 pretty easily with certain manipulations and work-arounds.  Even with powerful systems a limit has to be reached and it is approaching. Things will slow down! Most amateur films in the past using real film rarely exceeded 40 -45 minutes due to cost and often were much shorter. As you say effects were (and are)  limited to straight cuts and, if the equipment was sophisticated enough dissolves and fades. The latter were often done by graded dyeing of the ends of the cut points before splicing. With video editors and digital film today this is easy to do as is filming HOURS of action. editors like VP are expected to cope with the WHOLE of this footage..remember it is not a destructive process as with film where one's project becomes shorter as editing proceeds, so huge amounts of date has to be stored and this  inevitably puts a strain of the software. If you have to run a mile to get your next bit of data instead of few feet it's going to slow things down.

Nat