Split Screen Causing Change in Aspect Ratio

Carleton

Help.  I have successfully used the split screen function while creating a multi-faced choir.  I am now creating a 5x5 with 25 separate clips on separate tracks.  I am on the 25th clip and VP automatically (and undesirably) changes the aspect ratio of my sequence and all other clips in the 5x5 grid from 16:9 to something vertical - presumably 9:16.  How do I keep this from happening?  This is very frustrating at the end of my project!  Thanks.  

Need to see the project.  Please share it, complete with all tracks.  For the clip that is causing the issue, try applying a Letterbox Aspect Ratio effect to if.

A caution:  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Then you can restore a project to the state it was in when saved.  Just double-click the VPJ file (which isn't playable).

Related to resolution of the clips, # of tracks and length of the project, export can falter as demands bump up against usable program memory or PC hardware limitations.  When this occurs, it may be necessary to reduce export resolution or break the project into exported segments, to be merged in a final export.

Have you reviewed the helpful material here?  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/31824-how-to-build-a-multi-face-virtual-choir/

Let's take a look.  Four easy steps.

1.  With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Locate the saved, numbered folder and upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  (Don't upload the export or just the VPJ file.)
3.  Get a shared, public link. If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Click the blue "Change to anyone with the link..."  Then click COPY LINK | DONE.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Hi

Also...check the split screen resizing mode. The AR of the boxes for different matrices is not the same and what might be OK for 3 x 3 may not be correct for 5x5.  If you run into difficulties with running a 5x5 matrix directly check out using 5 exported clips with just the left vertical 5 used and then using those clips to make the 5x5

Nat

To Both of You Einsteins:  First, thanks for your replies!  I have reviewed the helpful nch.invsionzone material you suggested.  (Most before I posted my question.) I also very routinely save as.  I have a terabyte SSD and I believe in "save early, save as often".... so  I'm good there.  I will try the letterbox suggestion and then share my project if that doesn't work.  Thanks again!

Thanks for privately sharing.  Very tough, especially with only a partial project, to pick apart the layering.

When the Carleton track is split-screened (no Letterbox effect) over other small-box singers, he doesn't appear at any position.

However, when he is added to a new track (at top) and split-screened, he is there - at any 5x5 position - with no change in A/R of other images.

This using version 8.77.  The content you supplied did export successfully at default settings.

You're welcome and thanks for looking into this for me.  I have version 8.56, which I only purchased on 7/15/20.  Is there an update available?

Also, I added the Carleton track as a new track again, placing it on top, which worked fine until I tried to split another track.  (I thought I had gotten them all but found two tracks "Hu" and "Jo and Terrence" that I missed.  Did you get the same switch to vertical?  I wonder is this has to do with the version. 

...argg.  I just split that section of the project to create a left and right side, to isolate the 5x5 splits as the right side.  On the version saved as the left side, I deleted all of the would-be 5x5 clips and still had the sequence flip to vertical when I un-muted the tracks on the left side and made them visible.  What established the AR for the sequence in the first place and what am I doing to make it change?  Thanks.  -cwj

Never see A/R changes in the latest release, version 8.77.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Moved Carleton to an unused area, added the split screen, and he appeared.  Moved Jo and Terrence to the same vertical strip and split.  They appeared.  Hu was among the missing 16 files not included in your partial package, so used Kenny on that track, split it into another box.  And he appeared.

No other clips were affected.

If you export a partial project, then bring it back in to add more content, there is no way that new effects can change A/R of individual boxes in the that clip.  It's a composite.

Perhaps the quickest method for creating a 5x5 with lowest overhead is to follow Nat's advice in the FAQ above.  In essence, compose the left-hand column, in sync, and export.  Clear the timeline.  Compose what will be the next column - still at the left and in sync -  and export.  And so on until there are five exported clips, each with a column of five faces.  Or even just four columns, if there's a newly built column already on the timelline to which the other four exported clips can be added.

Then load them into a new project.  Use the POSITION effect to horizontally abut each clip to the right of the prior clip, resulting in five vertical columns side-by-side.

A master audio file of all tracks can be created by right-clicking the Sequences tab in the bin, right-clicking the sequence icon and clicking Save Sequence Audio as New File.  That single file can be substituted for all others, further lightening the processing load.

image.png

Again, thanks Borate and Nat.  I did upgrade to version 8.77, went back to the project as sent and the same thing happened.  (I took screen shots, but can't upload here.  I can message them if you are interested.)  

I didn't want to have to use Nate's method if I could avoid it so I had the option of making whole-project changes or tweaking the sizes of individuals in their "boxes" later, without having to re-do all of the video segments.  However, I will do what I must.  Thanks for your help.  -cwj

You want the tab where the files are - the VIDEO tab.  Right-click any clip and there are three A/R main choices, with drop-down sub choices for each.

image.png

In the project you sent IDA has a motion effect at default parameters, so nothing is changed.  There's no split-screen.  But when one is programmed, it appears.  Carleton has no effects, but when a split is added, it also appears.  Was misled earlier when it didn't display in the original slot.

Making these changes did nothing to the overall A/R.

I really don't understand what you want me to do.  I changed the AR for Carleton to letterbox, and then 16:9.  Then went to split screen and it sill goes vertical like in the "Post Vertical Flip" screen shot.  I also undid the change causing the flip and selected the motion FX for the Carleton clip like Ida's thinking that might help and it also caused the clip preview and sequence to flip (or is it rotate) to vertical.  What is happening?

Also, my other question has to do with taking Nat's advice.  

"A master audio file of all tracks can be created by right-clicking the Sequences tab in the bin, right-clicking the sequence icon and clicking Save Sequence Audio as New File.  That single file can be substituted for all others, further lightening the processing load."  I see a Sequences tab but not "in the bin", and don't see a  sequence icon nor a way to click Save Sequence Audio.  

If there's no Sequences tab in the bin, create a new blank sequence by clicking the + sign in the Sequence 1 tab above the timeline.

Then click the Sequences tab in the bin and  right-click on Sequence 1.  You should see this...

image.png

Still unable to replicate the 'portrait' issue.  Upload the package, as complete as possible, and someone will take another look.

Should have thought of that. ^_^  Actually just recently tested a similar scenario here but it didn't quite duplicate your A/R.

The MATCH MONITOR setting gives a good representation of how the export will display on your monitor.

One way to minimize confusion is to use the dual display option - PV on the left, MATCH MONITOR on the right for the sequence.

Glad it worked out.

• borate changed the title to Split Screen Causing Change in Aspect Ratio (RESOLVED)
  • borate changed the title to Split Screen Causing Change in Aspect Ratio