Timeline versus length of video

Micky

Good morning, 

I am just starting to learn to use videopad, and 2 questions are blocking my progress:

1) If I want to do a simple audio video (one or 2 pics) that will last 45 minutes, how do I adjust the timeline accordingly? I don't understand "the sequences" versus the desired length of the video...? or Is there a way to schedule the final desired length of the video prior to setting up any sequences...?

2) How do I do both a music in the background and my voice on top (narration)? 

Thanks for your help

MR

A sequence contains all the content that's on the timeline - video and audio with their transitions, effects, etc.  Usually there's only one sequence.

The length of a projects depend upon the amount of content.  Still image durations can be adjusted simply by dragging their handles (on the left and right borders).

image.png

Audio/video clip length is what it is, but speed can be adjusted.  Right-click on one to see that option.

Place audio/video clips on the timeline in the desired order.  Click ADD CLIPS and locate your music file.

To see it in the bin (top-left of the VP window) clip the bin Audio Files tab.  image.png

From there the clip can be dragged to the timeline beneath exiting audio tracks.  Or move the red cursor in the timeline to where you want the clip to begin.  Right-click the bin clip and OVERLAY ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.  Overall music volume can be adjusted with the slider to the left of the track.

image.png

Recording narration automatically adds clips to the timeline in the same way.  They are also saved under the Audio Files tab in the bin.  If VP doesn't auto-place them on a track, do it manually, as above.  The clips can be dragged right or left on the timelime, for accurate placement.

Check out the many VP tutorials, and drop by again if you need help.  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23872-videopad-tutorials/

Hi

You cannot schedule  the length of your project. VP won't say..."STOP You've got here!" :)  However, you know beforehand that you would like it to last 45 mins.  (Perhaps the length of your background music clip.)  Having loaded your video clips and images to VP you can see their duration by hovering the mouse over the thumbnail in the bin...

aa.jpg

For example this clip is 5.972 seconds in length. Dragging this clip to the timeline will produce a sequence of that duration which will be shown along the top of the track....

bb.jpg

By adding further clips the timeline will naturally increase in length.......

ccc.jpg

Video clips are normally of various lengths when filmed  but inherently this  are fixed for each particular clip. You can split them and remove sections to make them shorter or as Borate has mentioned you can alter their speed to make them run slower or faster. Whatever is done to them in order to alter their duration is reflected in the overall length of the timeline. So by doing this  you have some control to making the project finish at 45 mins.

Still images, on the other hand have a default duration set by the user in Options/Media.  All still image clips will take this value when placed on the timeline. You can decrease or increase this duration by simply grabbing the white boxes at either end of the clip and when a white bracket appears  dragging  the end of the clip out to the  left or right to lengthen or shorten the clip. VP extends or reduces the overall timeline to compensate for the changes. There are other ways of directly entering specific values for still image duration but dragging out the handles is simpler. So again, this gives you away of  making your project 45 mins.

With regards to names.......I prefer to call the contents of all the tracks the Timeline.   It is of course a sequence of clips/images/audio but as VP will allow you to save the timeline as a Sequence ...a section of your project, that can be brought back and incorporated like a new clip,  the nomenclature can become a bit misleading.  So for me....The Project is the whole concept and what is saved when you want to shut down VP. The Timeline  is the collection of clips/images/audio you have edited on the various Tracks and Sequence  is a section of the project (the current timeline in effect) saved into the VP sequence bin for later use. Doing this leaves the timeline empty.  Some users will edit their project in short sections and then save each section as a sequence. When all the editing is complete on the final section they will load back all the sequences to create the final complete project.

Nat