Exported video - part of audio muted on VLC but plays on Windows Media Player

Ancient Printer

Export Video Audio Fails

My first exported video looked perfect on VP but played on VLC, the third part of the audio went silent (three audio clips were used). As my blood pressure  rose, I quickly tried Windows Media Player and the result was perfect. But WHY was this? 

23 minutes ago, borate said:

?  Try reinstalling VLC.  And consider test driving this free player.

Yes reinstalled VLC.  Sourceforge appears to be down at present. I was more interested in the reason why this happened as, so long as I can use the video, I'm not worried about which player.

20 hours ago, borate said:

Sourceforge is up here.  Submit your video to the forum and someone with VLC will test it.

Video now uploaded to Google Drive

I believe this is allow all access:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HULLs-Yvq7pfItHuTyP77-HqdhHaomMQ/view?usp=sharing

Look forward to hearing as to why the last third of audio fails to play on VLC whilst palying normally on Windows Media player. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, borate said:

Don't have VLC here but it plays fine in MPC-BE.  So no new insights.

As it's not urgent but merely a matter of interest, maybe put it on back burner and let me know when you are able to get it investigated (?)

Hi

Downloaded your project,

This played perfectly in VLC 3.0.8  Vetinari  as far as I could determine. Rather mesmerizing project! :)  My only critique is that the Title background (The shaded blue sky with mountain) and end title background had a fine white line at the top and right. I would suggest this could easily be removed with a tiny zoom. Three music tracks played OK and finished at the end titles at 14:28 minutes.

Enjoyed.

Nat

17 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

Downloaded your project,

This played perfectly in VLC 3.0.8  Vetinari  as far as I could determine. Rather mesmerizing project! :)  My only critique is that the Title background (The shaded blue sky with mountain) and end title background had a fine white line at the top and right. I would suggest this could easily be removed with a tiny zoom. Three music tracks played OK and finished at the end titles at 14:28 minutes.

Enjoyed.

Nat

Many thanks Nat! That was the first and main part of the project. We plan to do a discussion between my wife and I as to how these extraordinary images can about. It is strange - I am running VCL Vetinari 3.0.11 so VLC 3.0.8 must be older?? I wonder if to reinstall the earlier one. What do you think as I like VLC and have used it for many years.  Periodically I'm offered a later version in a separate window and I accept but the new download never happens.

" would suggest this could easily be removed with a tiny zoom" - please elaborate how and I'll do that - I want the final result to be absolutely perfect!

Hi

My VLC is a little old but running a Windows Vista machine, updates, (like a lot of apps I currently use) are no longer supported. :angry:  But it still works OK.

Regarding the blue background image/drawing. The white line at top and right hand side appear in the exported project that you uploaded at 8.686 seconds and seems to be associated with the fade out of the Welcome text ........

aa.jpg

....and remains until the end of the first Page Curl transition. In fact It actually disappears during the page Curl but the underlying curled section shows it!.....

bb.jpg

This a bit more problematic as you can use the zoom function to remove the upper line but it has to be 16:9 AR. and remain full width (or as close as possible) so the vertical line may have to remain.

• Split  Video Track 1 at exactly 02:27.012  This is the point where the Page Curl finishes.
  • Add a zoom effect to the section to the left of the split with  AR set to 16:9.  Bring in the top RH corner slightly to just remove the top line. Try the parameters shown here.....
  • dd.jpg
  • VP will very slightly enlarge the treated section but it shouldn't be noticeable,
  • Give it a try and see how it comes out. If it seems OK do something similar with the end credits.

Nat

Nat, many thanks for all this! I am pleased that you found the content interesting! There's a lot beyond what we see everyday as the finished project will eventually show. Before you replied today I had worked on it but used crop instead of zoom with some success. Having now carefully read your suggestings, I've used Zoom with the exact parameters you suggest. The results look promising on the sequence preview and I am now exporting video. Then I must upload to Google Drive and that will take about an hour. Whilst that is happening, I shall play it back on VLC (lost third of audio won't matter). If it looks good, I'll send you the link. It will be 2100-2200h CET by then.

Try this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GPHBaeV4jhLWnwQUuvQHaiKzjOqG0FBM/view?usp=sharing

DEFINITELY stated as "Anyone on the internet with this link can view" on Drive

The very fine white band to the right of both start and end sections is still detectable in spite of all manipulations1 - any further magic??

Hi

Unfortunately I can't play your upload as the format is incompatible but I know what you are referring to. I mentioned leaving the zoom AR at 16:9 as this keeps the section the same AR as the remainder of the project but although that effect will eliminate the top line it does leave the one on the right. I am not sure where the line(s) originate from. 

O.K. Instead of Zoom , use Crop. Split the video at exactly 2:26.294   This is exactly where the curl reaches the edge of the first image.....

aa.jpg

Add a crop effect to the left hand section (From the start up to the split.) Use these parameters....

bb.jpg

These should just eliminate both lines. Note that this has no AR restraint and just the top and the right are cropped.

Export

ccc.jpg

This played fine in VLC. and no white lines are now visible.  Due to the crop there is a tiny readjustment of the frame of the first image. This is just at the top and right...

Nat

Edited by borate

15 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Unfortunately I can't play your upload as the format is incompatible...

Hi Nat - before looking closely at what you said, you say that you can't play my latest upload. Could that be because I mixed crops with zooms? Maybe I should go back to an earlier version before I applied either? Are the cops and zooms incompatible? Pls explain.

Also you have changed the export parameters to mp4 and to Vatiable frame rate - is this significant?

Hi

No..I couldn't  play it because this Vista is OOD and now using the last compatible Firefox (IE is the same) and I suspect this browser won't run it..and a lot of other formats.  However mixed zooms and crops should have no bearing on your project playing..just how it looks.

I exported what I had  as an mp4 which, normally gives a good result and it comes up as default format in my export screen and I hardly ever bother to alter it except for testing purposes. Same with the framerate. This can alter the file size a bit but it's a compromise between 30 and 60.

Anyway try the crop only for those lines.

Nat 

1 hour ago, Nationalsolo said:

No..I couldn't  play it because this Vista is OOD...

I'm puzzled - you were able to play my previous files - have I misunderstood something? Anyway I'll try the settings you've just used on my latest file and see where it takes me - I may have to accept the very fine RHS line since all the rest seems perfect.

Hi

"....I'm puzzled - you were able to play my previous files - have I misunderstood something?...."

:) No not at all.  Sorry i was asleep!! !  :huh:.......It's just that I couldn't play the video by simply clicking it.........

aa.jpg

I forgot I could download it instead like before. (but doing it now.)  Normally users upload a portable project which are all the component clips and a vpj. file. It's often a better diagnostic than the finished project.  The crop settings mentioned however should eliminate that RHS line.

Nat

23 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

"....I'm puzzled - you were able to play my previous files - have I misunderstood something?...."

:) No not at all.  Sorry i was asleep!! !  :huh:.......It's just that I couldn't play the video by simply clicking it.........

aa.jpg

I forgot I could download it instead like before. (but doing it now.)  Normally users upload a portable project which are all the component clips and a vpj. file. It's often a better diagnostic than the finished project.  The crop settings mentioned however should eliminate that RHS line.

Nat

Hi Nat- been battling with editing and blood pressure rapidly rising!!!! Hard to pin down exact problem but here's a specific - in fact had to start again as several of the original images had been moved about or swallowed whole by VP as I struggled - now nearly there but when I change speed of audio to make it fit the video length, gaps open in video and vice versa. Hundreds of gaps to be removed one at a time- all would be well if ALL gaps in a track could be removed with a single action - is there one? Or new Q - how do you quickly stretch or shrink audio to exactly match length of oven ready video track without gaps opening up?

When you make a mistake immediately press <ctrl-Z> to backtrack step-by-step.  Same as EDIT | UNDO.

Of course. Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Then you can restore a project to the state it was in when saved.  Just double-click the VPJ file (which isn't playable).

Audio clip length is normally sized by dragging the clip edges,  A or ] bracket will appear.   As for speed, there's no fill-to-fit option.  Look at the video length, then in the audio speed dialogue Duration field, closely match that length.

If audio and video are linked, then editing one will affect the other, to maintain sync.  Right-click either and UNlink, if that's the case.

To prevent edits from affecting other tracks, right-click to the left of a track and LOCK TRACK.

There's no way to globally remove gaps.  But if content is on track 1 they are best seen in Storyboard mode.  Right-click in a gap and CLOSE GAP.

Hi

I can appreciate that in your raw timeline you would have many separate clips but the audio (so it seemed in the film I downloaded, had just three music clips. If you lock all the video tracks once you have them as you want them they should not be affected by changes made to the audio. Altering the audio speed on any/all the music clips should be a fairly simple procedure along the lines Borate suggests. Regular Saving Project As  is indispensable to prevent failure frustration.

Your last download played OK with all the sound in VLC and the top line had gone. :)  As I said Crop should work for the RHS. I also noticed that although VLC played the sound OK ..if you jumped along the bottom blue progress bar to view the video further on, the soundtrack was lost and even jumping back didn't restore it so I am wondering if that is what you initially had?

Nat

15 hours ago, borate said:

To prevent edits from affecting other tracks, right-click to the left of a track and LOCK TRACK.

Thanks Borate - yes I have learned these but was not Saving As often enough as I didn't spot the problems arising from each action until too late. I wasn't aware of LOCK TRACK and will be sure to use it often. Thanks.

Hi Nat - thanks for all your comments - as I said I started afresh loading the original video of the original Power Point show as I had lost some of the content in my meanderings. Spliting it up ready for transitions was pretty easier and quick. I then did the page turn transitions and checked everything was there (except for the text overlays).  I split the video/audio and striped out the old audio(silence). Then added the three clips of music. This time I repeatedly SAVED AS the project.  I am going to export it as a video to see if all is in fact OK. Now the problem I have to ask about: the two text overlays are already to use - BUT in another older project. I need to copy or move them unchanged to the courrent project and all being well I'll be done. I don't want to do them again for fear of getting the wrong.

Hi Nat - very strange - VP appears to have helped of its own accord. When I opened the latest project I found that VP had picked up the text clips ready to use from an earlier project I had opened. Maybe that answers my question --- or was it just luck?

Hi Nat - At last the Orbs video is finished (I hope) but I am adding some bits front and back later for You Tube. My previous efforts lead to losing about 12 slides so I started again. Your many hints and commnets have helped enormously. I do thank you for all of it. If you'd like to watch the full show at your leasure, it's here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ore0cUs4IsZdn8B0GGgh_c5aYRTGwOOZ/view?usp=sharing

Although outside the scope of this forum, I believe, I have struggled in vain to find how a beginner can insert a hyperlink into a You tube video. It seems you have to be a "partner" or "moneterised" to do that. Maybe there IS a way?

Linking is a function of the server, not VP.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYs3x74jHGw

You should never lose any work if Save Project File AS is used routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as to not overwrite prior saves. 

Save Project Files (no AS) will  overwrite.  Then clicking on a saved VPJ file (not playable) will load the project just as it was when saved, provided no source files have been moved or deleted.