Text Position keeps moving after closing VP.

Ralph53

Hi guys, maybe someone can help me. 😐

I have been trying to figure out this problem. If I create a simple text with a background color (Block) and then if I position it at a certain place and save the project, after I close Videopad and then restart the Videopad project, the text position has slightly moved a few notches either up or down randomly. If I click on the position effect to see if the numeric numbers of the position are the same, e.g., horizontal & vertical, they are correct, but the position is not at the same place on the screen that it was prior to closing the program. It has moved just slightly either up, down, left, or right.

Things I've tried:
1. Saved the Text Position effect as a custom effect. Restarting the program still moves the text position even if saved as a custom effect.

2. Tried clearing the cache before and after saving the text position effect; no change. Text alignment still moves slightly to a new position after reopening the program.

3. Tried "X"ing out all effects (Blank effects box) that was applied to the simple text, and then tried loading my custom saved text position effect. The custom effect loads and the numeric numbers of the position are correct, but the text position ends up just in the general area that it was suppose to be at, and then I have to manually put the text position back where it is supposed to be with new numeric numbers. So basically, if I save the project, close the program, and then reopen the program, I then have to manually keep re-adjusting the text back to where it is suppose to be. So idk, it seems like a bug somewhere.

• borate changed the title to Text Position keeps moving after closing VP.

Let's take a look at this.  Either upload to a free server the full project or a portion thereof that has the issue.  Here are the easy steps.  Don't upload the exported file.  Indicate the timecode where this effect takes place.

1. With your completed project on the timeline, click the 3-lined 'hamburger' menu, top-left.  Click FILE | BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Specify a folder.  Click SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Using the PC file manager, locate the saved folder and upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  (Don't upload the export or just the VPJ file.)
3.  Get a shared, public link. If using Google Drive click SHARE. Click the blue "Change to anyone with the link."  Then click on COPY LINK.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks Borate. I am not at home at the moment, so I will send you the link to the Backup Folder later.

And I was just wondering if you had any ideas on what the probable cause is?

As I wrote before, I do my editing and export my video and everything looks fine. Then I save & close the VP program and when I reopen the program, the text is just slightly off. I can tell the difference because I positioned the text right next to a jpg side-by-side. Then exported and the video looks fine. But when you close and reopen the project, the text is close to the jpg, but not exactly and slightly off, no longer side-by-side. And it's weird, because the text will not only move left or right, it will also adjust itself vertically or horizontally when ever I close and reopen the program.

I also noticed that Videopad self-adjusts the contrast of a video when you first load it into the program. I already have a custom contrast setting of +8.0 for all videos that I load into VP. I don't know if this is just the case with MP4's, but when ever I load one into VP, I already know that I have to adjust the contrast to an 8.0 to get back the original video look.

Reopening a VPJ file should load the content exactly as it was when the file was written.  Not exporting, just reopening the project..

Have never personally seen any changes in contrast of an image or video, nor have there been posts to that effect.

Provide examples as above to clue folks in...

Hi

Tried reproducing this using VP 8.67.  Sorry....I couldn't. :unsure:  Text remained exactly where it was positioned when vpj file was reloaded after shutting down VP. This was using Simple text overlay starting with an "O" positioning the "O" EXACTLY over a fixed point in a jpg image. As mentioned above it remained exactly positioned both in the exported clip and the project reloaded from the vpj file. The position parameters did not change either. I repeated this with the same text using a block background but this time moving it to so a corner of the block text pointed to an exact point in the jpg.  As with the previous test I saw no position movement. I haven't tried this with a different font type or font size (Arial 10) but that might have a bearing although I can't see why the reloaded project should come up different. Exporting at a different resolution might also also alter the text position as compared with the preview as positions are calculated for the text overlay and VP (I presume) has to position it to the nearest calculated place which may not be the exactly the same as in the preview.

Nat

Sorry guys, Borate & Nationalsolo, I opened my project today and I tried to recreate the problem of the text adjusting itself after closing the program, but now I can't recreate it today. Seems to be working fine. By the way, I am also using 8.63.

Also, I figured out what the problem was with the contrast and what I thought was VP adjusting the contrast when I imported a video. Turns out that VP wasn't adjusting it. What I found out was that when ever I first record a video using OB Studio and then when I view it with Windows Media Player, it is actually WMP that's adding the extra contrast that I'm seeing. The thing is that I never changed any video enhancement settings in WMP, so I thought I was seeing the original video. But it turns out that WMP does actually add a little contrast to the video that your seeing. Then when you import it into Videopad, the contrast is a lot lighter than what I was seeing in WMP. So I was actually blaming Videopad for the difference in contrast. I was able to confirm this by uploading an original video and a VP contrasted copy of the same video to Youtube to confirm what was going on. The original video uploaded to Youtube looks the same as the original imported into videopad. So yeh, I guess I learn something new everyday. 🤔

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1zruof6G4tfkfFqRla_w6AJcJqJqIiB-O

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ruv3aZqGAR2rUT0jriZ6avbeBP4J9J-c

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1p36-eYNIKxwSqoms0D-4sOw86_abk4rP

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1N_nv_ZRbCfS-Uh5A-AE3ITgpkiiQ_IAA

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1N3EreaYiF0MtPO2lVFEJSqbctzWGo0KL