VideoPad crashes when working with effects

NickPang

VP crashes intermittently on me when trying to put effects into a video, either from the sequence or directly on the clip. It's an intermittent problem, and I the conditions under which it happens can vary. 

I'm running VP 8.35 (Licensed) on a Windows 10 box. No additional effects besides what came with the package.

There are times when:

• The screen freezes then goes black, but if I wait a minuter or 2, it comes back
  • Other times, it takes the whole computer with it. The screen goes black, and the only way to recover is to do  hard reboot.

Help? It's really slowing me down.

Thanks.

Well - I checked first on DirectX. Running version 12, so no issue there.

Then I went to update the AMD Graphics Drivers. And that's when the fun started. It turns out that AMD has an automatic updater that you can download, BUT it's not smart enough to determine if you have the proper Windoze updates (which you need), or have run a clean-up utility (which you apparently have to do) before you install them.  I had neither.

So there I sat with blank screens and a boat anchor box. Luckily, I was able to get a real person from AMD on the phone (he was real good and patient) to step thru the recovery process.So far this morning, no issues, but I haven't been using the effects function much yet. We shall see.

Again, thanks!!!

Total project is going to be about an hour, but I'm working on clips of 3-7 minutes that can consist of a dozen or more components.. It's fairly complex.

File resolution varies, but for the most part it's 1920x1080

A few suggestions...

Back up using Save Project File AS, not Save Project File, and give each a unique # or name, to avoid overwriting prior saves.  That way a VPJ control file (not payable) can be double-clicked to load the project as it looked when the file was saved.

image.png

As a further protective measure also consider breaking the project into segments and exporting each.  Later, if need be, load the segments and export the entire project.

Thanks much. I really haven't lost too much except time - the auto save has been a godsend.

And that's exactly what I've been doing - working 3-7 minute segments with any number of components. Even within that, I may have a half dozen "intermediate" files that I generate to patch together. Eventually, I'll take all these snippets and sting them together into an hour ling video.

Share the project and someone will see how it plays for them.  It's a easy 4-step process and can be private...

1. With your project on the timeline, click the 3-lined 'hamburger' menu, top-left.  Click FILE | BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Specify a folder.  Click SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Using the PC file manager, go to where the numbered folder was saved and upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*
3.  Get a shared, public link that anyone can view.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.