Overwriting existing video when clip inserted into sequence

miogpsrocks

Videopad keeps overwriting existing video when clip inserted into sequence. 

It appears that doing the exact same thing will  yield completely different results. 

Sometimes I will hold " SHIFT" as instructed to stop " snapping" which I assume means overwriting the video on the timeline with the clip. 

Sometimes it seem to insert the clip and shift the existing video to make room for it. Other times, it appears to overwrite(delete) the video on the timeline and replacing it with the video on the inserted clip. 

I can't get this software to act consistently. 

What am I missing here? Is there a trick to this or is the software just buggy and temperamental? 

This is some of the most basic video editing and should be something they get right above all else. 

Thanks. 

It might be a setting in the windows registry. Try changing the following value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NCH Software\VideoPad\Software

There you can find the key "SVAR". Check for the term "VIDEOPADRippleMoveoff" - and if you find it, change it to "VIDEOPADRippleMoveon"

This setting helped me when I had the same problem.

Have seen no reports of inconsistent behavior.

An easy and accurate way to insert is to position the cursor at the split point where the new material is to be dropped, right-click the new clip in the bin and PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR. That should do what you want.  To snap the cursor to the split, use the ||< and >||  keys under the preview window.

If a new clip is dragged atop another it will replace it.

If an existing clip is dragged on the timeline it will land at the drop point (let go of the mouse button), splitting the original clip.

Each time VP is installed it may exhibit slightly different behaviors.  If snapping when a clip is dragged to the right is annoying, try holding the <alt> key.

Or simply reinstall Videopad until clips don't snap back.  This may take several installs, but they're very quick.  No need to re-download.

When you make a mistake immediately press <ctrl-Z> (EDIT | UNDO) to backtrack step-by-step.  Save Project AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as to not overwrite prior saves.  Save Project (no AS) will overwrite.