Crop video 32:9 to 16:9 without quality loss ?

Wim

Hello,

I have recorded in OBS Studio a video with resolution 2560 x 720 (32:9), basically two screen outputs of 1280 x 720 next to each other.

I want to edit now the video in Videopad Video Editor, in order to keep the left screen for a certain time, and then keep the right screen for a certain time, and write the resulting video to 1280 x 720 (16:9) resolution.

When I open the video in the bin, Videopad scales the canvas to a size of 2560 x 1440 (16:9). I try to change the format to my own, by rightclicking the context menu and checking "Change Clip Aspect Ratio...". However there is no aspect ratio that satisfies my needs. 32:9 is not in the list.

The workaround is not satisfying. In that case, I split the video in two parts. In the first part, I crop the right screen output and centre the left screen output. In the second part, I do vice-versa. Now I end up with a centred 1280 x 720 video, on a canvas of 2560 x 1440. I should now "shrink the canvas" to 1280 x 720, but that does not seem to work. I can scale the centred video with a factor 2, and then again export the video to 1280 x 720, but that clearly leads to quality loss.

Is there a way to "shrink the canvas", or to define your own aspect ratio ?

Thank you in advance,

Wim

Hi

If your 2560 x 720 is a single complete image try this..

• Place the clip both on Video Track 1  and also on Video Track 2
  • Crop Video Track 1 to show the left hand half of the clip
  • Crop Video Track 2 to show the right hand half of the clip . I have left a small gap here but you can adjust the crop edges so the image is seamless.
  • aa.jpg
  • You can now split either of the tracks so one or the other half play for the required time.Leaving one half in the window......
  • bb.jpg
  • Either1/2 can easily be centred using Position.... (I've used the LHS in this example)
  • ccc.jpg
  • On the other hand if you want a 16:9 full frame centered image of the 1/2 in question don't use the Position effect, simply use a  16:9 AR Zoom... (The LHS is now full frame)
  • dd.jpg
  • You can select the output resolution in the Custom box in the export window.but this will export at 16:9 anyway.
  • This example exported in 4K with no problem

Nat

Dear Nationalsolo,

Your suggestion does the tric. The quality stays preserved now. 

I used "Position" to centre + "Scale x 2", but your suggestion to use the Zoom option with aspect ratio 16:9 works better.

P.S. Is it necessary to load the video in two tracks ? I used the scissors to split the video in two clips, then cropped the two clips (left and right), did the zoom to 16:9 and then did the video output to 1280x720. 

Thank you for the prompt reply and excellent answer,

Wim